Linear\circular LNB Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
I have a Digiwave DGL-1189S Ku Twin LNBF circulr/linear hooked up on my Primestar 1.2m dish. I am using my Coolsat 8000HD receiver.
I got this LNBF for getting NASA and Ion on 119W.
I set the LNBF on LO:10.75 standard.
On G19 (97W) some Tps are like 1% (11779H 3979), 20% (11789V 28125), 59-62%(11836V 20765),85% (1196H 22000), 72% (11991V 22000), 1% (12053V 22000), etc... Can't even get the Tp that have Fashion Channel (HD).
Since the dish is motorized the LNBF skew is set at 0 since movement of the dish determine the skew.
Is this LNBF suitable for any HD channels? None seems to come in at all. I can't even program AMC21 to get the PBS channels at all.
On AMC1 (103W) the Tps are 64% (11942V 2000), and 47% (12142V 2000), 44% (12182V 25000), 1-5% (12097V 200000. Sometimes the Pentagon channels fade in and out, breaking up.
Are you guys getting the same results as me? Or is this LNBF any good at all? What would be a good LNBF to get a steady worthwhile signals?

I fail to mention that those are Quality readings.
On Echostar 10. most of the Tps are in the 80 to 90% readings (the free clear advertising channels). Some Tps are like 20%.
I just moved this dish from behind my trailer to another location because of LOS issues. Could I be off track of the arc? The further west I go, the worst the signal/quality signals.

And when I am on 119W, most of its TPs are 75% except 12370V 20000 which the quality signal fades in and out between 0 to 25%, can't get a lock on NASA. the ION channels are great (12414H 20000 at 70%)
What do yall think I need to do?

Look like 119W is as far I can get, as far as getting the western satellites. Can't get 123W at all.
Look like I may have to figure out the adjustments on the dish to get those signals in.

When you are locked on 119w go out and try to push the dish up and down to see if the quality improves.

You might just need to adjust your true south a touch.

Its also worth mentioning that lnb is designed to receive 119/118w. I have one here and it does not do very well for the true linear sats.

It will work, but I lose 5-10% signal strength when using the linear/cirular lnb as apposed to a regular linear lnb.

Just installed one yesterday when I switched out to my new Channel Master 90cm dish.

I have had sub-par results to say the least - my quality readings are much lower than my previous readings with a Invacom QPF-031 on my Primestar 70E.

I will be purchasing an Invacom QPH-031 as quickly as possible....

I have been struggling with this issue all afternoon yesterday. I put on my Invacom-031 when it was getting dark and couldn't get squat with it. This morning I will put it on again and try another linear LNBF and see what happens. I may have to designate a Dish 500 dish just for the 119W NASA stuff.
I adjusted the dish this way and that way. Pain in the butt...

I just slapped an old DIrecTV LNB next to the KU one so I can get all the DBS freebies out there (there isnt much on 82,91,110,129 but it doesnt hurt to have it) :)

Attachments

• 000_0084.jpg
    000_0084.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 000_0686.jpg
    000_0686.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 180
Dang!!!
i went outside and swap the LNBs (from the DGL-1189S Ku Twin LNBF to the standard 10750 LNBF) and the difference is HUGH!
I get all of G19 Tps with high quality readings. I decided just put a Dishnet dish to get NASA, etc.
I really am disappointed with the linear/circular LNBF....

Dang!!! ....
I remember some negative comments (on maybe that unit) in the past, but this is pretty tragic.
Would you mind making up a little review ?
Then, we can point to it the next time someone gets that LNB.

Perhaps some signal reports on both the review LNB and any normal one you care to use for comparison.
Then, if we can dig out some of the previous comments, we can link to them, too.
Might as well turn this exercise into something positive. ;)

Dang!!!
i went outside and swap the LNBs (from the DGL-1189S Ku Twin LNBF to the standard 10750 LNBF) and the difference is HUGH!
I get all of G19 Tps with high quality readings. I decided just put a Dishnet dish to get NASA, etc.

Yup, it has a noise figure of 0.5, while most of recent ku lineal LNBs have 0.2 or even 0.1, a universal Ku LNB usually has 0.3 db.

It doesn't seem like a lot of difference but as you experimented, it can be a lot :p.

In the other hand, DBS signals can be so powerful that even with a colander we can get them... not really but you get my point :p.

Specifications (might come in handy if someone wants to know):

ss20091130104047.jpg

Cheers

M.

I remember some negative comments (on maybe that unit) in the past, but this is pretty tragic.
Would you mind making up a little review ?
Then, we can point to it the next time someone gets that LNB.

Perhaps some signal reports on both the review LNB and any normal one you care to use for comparison.
Then, if we can dig out some of the previous comments, we can link to them, too.
Might as well turn this exercise into something positive. ;)

I don't know if I want to give a negative review on that LNBF. I got it from Ebay because I wanted to get a LNBF that can receive both circular and linear signals.
I paid $18 with free shipping.
I wondered why no one was mentioning anything about these LNBFs. :confused:
The problem with this unit is that it does receive the NASA and ION channels on 119W but lousy on other the linear Tps. I couldn't receive any HD channels! :(
Well, that is one lesson I learned this week, along with how not upgrade a FTA receiver... :( :eek:

The thing with that lnb - It works for what it was designed for - reception of 118w/119w

I actually did some experimenting with this lnb, to bad I didn't save the numbers. But as stated before, performance with regular linear tp's was less then good.

Yup, it has a noise figure of 0.5, while most of recent ku lineal LNBs have 0.2 or even 0.1, a universal Ku LNB usually has 0.3 db.

It doesn't seem like a lot of difference but as you experimented, it can be a lot :p.

no offense but I've tried some .5 LNB's and they worked BETTER than a so called .3
For a while my old ExpressVu LNB (when they were linear) I used. It was a .7 or .8 LNB and it blew the doors off a .5

Stability is what is really needed

Oh yeah, no offense taken :), there are some good brands that make 0.5 db LNBs that really blow other brands appart, from what i remember Eagle Aspen has good LNBs, so does Invacom and Norsat (i do believe even Zinwell has good LNBs), there are other brands that have 0.3 or 0.2 but their stability is trough the floor (i've never had good experiences with Fortec LNBs for example, nor some newer Chaparral).

I do not know what part of the specs. tells us about the stability. I've seen it mostly with C Band LNBFs, older ones even with a higher noise figure have more stability than newer LNBFs with lower noise figures.

Not so long ago i read there are also some LNBs made specifically for elliptical dishes and some for circular dishes, well, thats what i found out not long ago in a british webpage, but i don't remember it pretty well so i might be confused, if i find the webpage again, i'll post the link, it has some pretty interesting stuff.

I remember that thread you made some time ago talking about that LNB with low frequency, it's not necesarily made for hackers since in México and most of latin america (and i believe also Japan) they use this kind of LNBs for their DTH services, most notably "Directv Latino", with headquarters in Venezuela.

Those LNBs have the frequency at 10500 but can't give you as much gain and stability as a "normal" circular, they aren't really lineal/circular, altough some are being marketed as such.

M.

sorry:

I paid $18 with free shipping.
I wondered why no one was mentioning anything about these LNBFs. :confused:
Well, that's just the point, it was discussed in a thread very much like this.
But nobody made a review of it, and so it was pretty much forgotten.

Iceberg's link above, is probably the thread I'm thinking of.
I remember considering it a brain teaser, and tried to think of a good use. :rolleyes:
More interesting things came along, though.
Too many satellites; too little time. - ;)

It should be clarified that your statement is made from "Published Specs" and not something you know or have tested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)