Live from Team Summit

isaacmorseMI said:
A whole home DVR is a pathetic announcement?

Yes. Especially when it's a late arrival compared to the competition. Something like this should be nothing more than a routine announcement at this point. Their big announcement is something late to the party and will probably fall short of what D* offers. They should focus on getting rid of hd lite.

Seriously? Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

It *is* pathetic in the sense that they are making a big deal about copying something that DirecTV and AT&T UVerse have had for a while now. Woohoo--congratulations on copying what everyone else is doing. Granted, it could be a good product. I'm not denying that. But I was expecting something innovative--not copying what at least two other companies are doing. Yawn.

I'd be much happier with 24x7 HD RSNs. I already have an HD DVR in every room. Whole home DVR would be fine, but to me it isn't that big of a deal over and above what I have now.

The tailgater may run two HD receivers. We don't have the details yet. I'll check it out on the trade floor. Either way it's the cheapest easiest setup I've heard of.

It *is* pathetic in the sense that they are making a big deal about copying something that DirecTV and AT&T UVerse have had for a while now. Woohoo--congratulations on copying what everyone else is doing. Granted, it could be a good product. I'm not denying that. But I was expecting something innovative--not copying what at least two other companies are doing. Yawn.
I'm sorry but D*'s unit has some major useability issues. Like when you want to view recordings on a remote TV it takes control of the main TV and then you can't watch a different show on that TV.

This is a tough crowd to please. All I have been hearing about is how people want whole home dvr. Now that we're getting it everyone thinks its no big deal. I think it's about time to let the rsn questions go. The details on the sling adapter are a little more clear. Looks like anyone can buy one for $99 and then get $99 cash card refund. So it's essentially free for new and existing customers.

The dish online website is really coming around. You don't even have to be a customer to watch shows on it. It works like netflix, hulu, and YouTube rolled together. You'll be able to get content sooner though. The blockbuster deal really opens up a lot of movie opportunities for dish now.

I'm sorry but D*'s unit has some major useability issues. Like when you want to view recordings on a remote TV it takes control of the main TV and then you can't watch a different show on that TV.

...And Dish's is still vaporware. Once it is released, we'll see how it stacks up. DirecTV may be on version 2 of their hardware by that point.

Again, this is a good service. One that they SHOULD have introduced. But I find it humorous that copying two competitors and being essentially third (at least!) to market is cause for celebration.

And no, I don't think I'll be dropping the RSN issue. It is a valid request, and one that they have not addressed--except by omission.

The Uverse version is OK, but very very slow and buggy. Also, when I had it it was limited to 2 concurrent HD streams in the house (some areas now have more), that was NOT enough for me at all. The Comcast version also is OK, but the hard drive is still too small and I've had issues with it each time I have used the "remote" TVs at my parents house. If E* does this right with the ability to chain multiple receivers together to make 6 or more concurrent streams then that is a great announcement.

Granted I think expectations were getting pretty high and I think we were expecting more things that would happen sooner... But pathetic? Hardly. It's not about being first. It's about doing it better. DirecTV and UVerse (really Microsoft) might be doing this, but they are doing it in different ways. Let's just wait and see before jumping to hyperbole.

Um there is no copying, Dish has been working on this technology for awhile... we were given some hints about it at CES.

Meant to add, I have not used the D* version, but have also heard mixed reviews on it. However, I have no personal experience there.

I agree that Whole Home DVR is BIG News and it's about time that DISH release it already. Also getting a sling adapter for free is also pretty cool, but I would only get one if the Sling extender came out (since I would the adapter and extender for my 722k) which at this point nobody knows if it's dead or if it's still alive.

So getting something you've been wanting to get is not exciting? I'm hoping dish waited this long so they could perfect it. If they can run three TVs off of one receiver and in HD I'm going to be one very happy retailer. Now I have to upgrade my 922.

sorry wrong answer...but thanks for trying

If it truly did that there would be TONS of folks bitching....not "MRV is pretty cool" posts ;)

David Taylor said:
...And Dish's is still vaporware. Once it is released, we'll see how it stacks up. DirecTV may be on version 2 of their hardware by that point.

Again, this is a good service. One that they SHOULD have introduced. But I find it humorous that copying two competitors and being essentially third (at least!) to market is cause for celebration.

And no, I don't think I'll be dropping the RSN issue. It is a valid request, and one that they have not addressed--except by omission.

Just to point out the inconsistency in your complaint... Dish adding 24/7 RSNs would just be copying others that are already doing it. So if/when Dish finally does that, it won't be cause for celebration either.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just to point out the inconsistency in your complaint... Dish adding 24/7 RSNs would just be copying others that are already doing it. So if/when Dish finally does that, it won't be cause for celebration either.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That is correct. My attitude will be: "IT IS ABOUT @#$* TIME" just like it is with the whole home DVR. My attitude is perfectly consistent. Do something innovative, and I'll applaud you. Do the same thing as all of your competitors, and I'll say: "it is about time!". I mean, is anyone going to celebrated and congratulate Dish when they bring back Disney in HD or ESPNU or ESPN News in HD? No, they will say that it should have been like this all along. Which is 100% correct.

And no, it really wasn't much of a point. We're just being childish now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts