LNB Drift

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Massmur

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
My System Info One screen box a says: "Check Details for LNB!" . Details says: "LNB Drift Detected 0x0, 0xa1, 61.5 (e-13)." What is the significance of this?

yes. its called frequency deviation. you'll need a new lnb for the 61.5 dish or you will have issues.
-13 is very high deviation tho, and the report could be a glitch. unplug the receiver (hard reset) plug it back in. let it acquire signal and guide and re-run the test.

My System Info One screen box a says: "Check Details for LNB!" . Details says: "LNB Drift Detected 0x0, 0xa1, 61.5 (e-13)." What is the significance of this?

-13 is not failing:rant:, only -5 or less is accurate and indicates a problem. Anything over -5 isn't accurate, and is a software issue, and is nothing to worry about. :D

not really. it wont even report drift in the 1-3 mhz range because it is not an issue. 5 or above is an issue and the common reading is around 6. readings of 9 or 10 are common on malfunctioning superdish lnbs. 13 is too high though, and i agree its a software glitch.

as an edit: anything outside the+-5 range will be reported as drift by the receivers software. abnormally high or low readings are a software glitch. for example i've seen drift of -47. fixed with hard reset. another note...all lnb's have some degree of drift. its very common to take a new (or reman) dpp twin out of the box hook it up to your superbuddy and see a reading of -2555 (-2.5). thats fine. -5000 (or -5) not fine anymore.

Last edited:
I've seen a drift reading from the box when a switch is going bad like a DP33 or someone hooked up a 34 by mistake to a 3 box setup from 119/110/61.5

My reading of e-12 has been around a long time. My 722 was just replaced Fri. and the reading remains stable even after a lot of hard resets with old and new receivers. This is on a single LNB dish aimed at 61.5. We have had a low SS reading in my town in SW FL on our HD local spot beam 9 , transponder 15. Several customers here had the same problem with eastern arc dishes also. Thurs. AM, the signal went from 10 to about 25 where it remains after our complaints to dish. All my other transponders on 61.5 have 35 -60 SS readings. The spot beam problem appears to be separate from my drift. The other customers are seeing SS of 25 with no drifts.

As others have mentioned, LNB drift is a drift in the frequency oscillator. Newer dish receivers can correct for a certain amount of LNB drift in software. At one point, dish would replace any LNB that drifted by 8 or more because that was about the limit that the receivers could correct for reliably.

A drift of 13 is too much...you might start to see certain transponders dropping out, especially when the weather gets warmer (LNB drift is affected by temperature). A few years ago I had a drifting LNB. Everything would be fine in the AM, but every afternoon (it was summer at the time) as the temperature increased the LNB drift would increase and channels would start dropping out. Later at night when it cooled off, the channels would come back on.

I think that you should call dish and tell them that your drift is 13. Even though it looks like your receivers can compensate for this, you are at the extreme limit for drift and they should give you a new LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)