Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Rough night ..........

I feel like a noob because of 2 seperate FTA setups that I have.

1 works flawlessly ( coolsat 5k w/ SNH-031 Universal Lnb )

The problem is that I never corrected an issue that I had going back about a year with another FTA setup , I have tried this with 3 different STB's and I'm starting to think it might be the LNB.

I bet everyone likes to blame the LNB , I'm hoping someone here knows what I did wrong and can correct my problem.

The LNB is an Extreme II ( Standard LNB)
The setting I use on the STB is Standard 10750 , I have played with the setting to see if I can produce different or favorable results and have no luck.

My Coolsat 5000 w/ universal SNH-031 blindscans very well and accurately close to what is on Lyngsat.

But when I use my Megasat YT (pansat fortec clone )and blindscan w/ Extreme standard LNB my frequencies are off by quite a bit and polarities are inverted according to info bar , and this STB is being used stationary on Hispasat.

So what could cause H and V polarities to be reversed and my Frequencies numbers to be so off the mark.

I have tried other STB's as well , I am so frustrated right now.

Yes, I think we can explain both your troubles.

First, that silly LNB has its zero position at a strange angle.
Read these docs carefully. (or at least see picture, below)
You probably installed the LNB thinking it was similar to your Invacom, then twisted it for maximum signal, and it's now offset by 90 degrees.

As for the frequency, that's a function of both the Local Oscillator of the LNB, and the receiver.
If substituting another receiver at the Xtreme II site gives significantly different transponder numbers than your Megasat, then it's the Megasat at fault.
And it could have something to do with where it thinks it is when blind-scanning (if it does so).
Try putting in the "correct" frequencies manually, and see how the Megasat responds.

Alternately, and I'd say more likely, the LO in the Xtreme could be off.
If another receiver at that site works better with the transponder frequencies off-channel like you presently have with the Xtreme and Megasat, then it's the LNB at fault.

Either way, I'd ignore it, unless it's so far off as to be -that- distracting.
Would you say it's off more than 5mhz? More than 10 mhz?
By the way, there's no law that says you have to set the LNB LO to 10750 . . .
At least on some receivers , you can enter that number manually.
See how far off channel you are, and change the LO number to compensate.
Set it to 10755, or 10740 or whatever is necessary to bring your displayed frequencies closer to home. :)
The actual LO frequency is fixed (and probably wrong) so you are just giving the STB the correction factor so it can calculate the correct channel freq.

Of course, if you find your frequencies to be far different from (a hot) day, to (a cold) night, that would suggest frequency drift, and I'd either put a big thermal insulator over the LNB, or replace it.

Attachments

• x2-11.jpg
    x2-11.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I have a feeling its the skew

jayelem..dont feel bad...I did the same thing too :)

There is a notch on the LNB and that is zero..skew from there

Ok the skew is my fault , when I swapped out the standard to try out the 905 digital sidecar and I put it back I admit I didn't pay attention to where I had it, still those numbers are really off no matter what STB I use.

I'll play with the skew later this weekend , I'm familiar with the notch on the Extreme II but I admit that it probably isn't skewed correctly.

note : I bought one of those 5 inch B&W TV's for $13 a week ago , I really needed that ....
I was yelling across the house " Let me know when Quality signal goes up " and it was so frustrating , it probably did go up and down but my Mom couldn't tell what was going on .

I used to have a 13 inch color TV that I used , but it finally broke over 6 months ago.

Thanks Ice .................

Just an Update .....

Today I received a Sadoun Standard Kul Dual 0.04 Lnb .
I had been thinking about one for some time and went through Ebay bidding , good deal at $16.50 + shipping.

Well today I swapped out my Extreme II with the Sadoun Lnb and it fixed my problem , I just deleted all my weird TP and channels with a reset and rescanned.............

This fixed my problem right away , that doesn't mean I wont play with the Extreme II again , just that something besides skew was off and the new Lnb is very nice.

Just an Update .....

Today I received a Sadoun Standard Kul Dual 0.04 Lnb .
I had been thinking about one for some time and went through Ebay bidding , good deal at $16.50 + shipping.

Well today I swapped out my Extreme II with the Sadoun Lnb and it fixed my problem , I just deleted all my weird TP and channels with a reset and rescanned.............

This fixed my problem right away , that doesn't mean I wont play with the Extreme II again , just that something besides skew was off and the new Lnb is very nice.
I have had good luck with the LNB's from Sadoun, and had one bad Extreme II. Thanks for the feed back-- glad you got it going.:)
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts