Local Channels optional

Chalk another one up to ViP? I've always had guide data on Flex without locals.
Wally is the same way, so it is not just a ViP thing.

I doubt it. Most of my subchannels do not have guide data, with the exception of MeTV, AntennaTV and PBS. It seems if the subchannel isn't grouped with a major big 4 network (or PBS), then the chance of guide data is slim to none. Even on a major network, it's still a crapshoot.
Even the newly-added PBS subchannels (PBS Kids) do not have guide data in my area, so it looks like Dish has even stopped adding new subchannel guide data for PBS stations.

If someone can confirm dropping locals and having data guide on a 722k. I would drop locals in a minute.
I kept local guide data on two deactivated ViP722k's that I was still using for OTA, so you should be fine.

If someone can confirm dropping locals and having data guide on a 722k. I would drop locals in a minute.
I can confirm it (722), but there may be more variables than that. I have Flex, and maybe Flex is treated differently than the other packages that just today started allowing the removal of locals.

Removed locals online and data was gone instantly. I have Tivo, so being able to remove locals was a quick and easy way to save $10.00 .
So, all of your OTA locals on Dish now say "Digital Service"? Do the channel names show up?

Even the newly-added PBS subchannels (PBS Kids) do not have guide data in my area, so it looks like Dish has even stopped adding new subchannel guide data for PBS stations.
Correct, they stopped doing this 5-6 years ago. The key is new channels that are added. Even the sub-channel existed many years ago and simply changed their feed (going from MeTV to Grit, for example), it would keep (update) the guide data.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, I just pulled mine for a savings of $10/mo, so we'll see what we see tonight when I get home. My discounts for being on contract and auto-paying remain. I have a 722 and 2 612's on AT250. :D

This has been brought up several times. Once you cancel the Dish satellite channels you will receive guide data with the OTA dongle.
Others have reported differently, and the H3 and CUI add a new variable to the mix that may change that prior behavior, and even Dish's own policy may have changed with the recent capability of dropping locals.

So, you don't know if guide data for OTA locals disappeared after removing SAT locals, and your post just confuses the issue for those who want to know if OTA guide data remains if they drop SAT locals.
You are right. I don't know if the guide data for OTA locals disappeared after cancelling because I never had them. I wasn't trying to confuse anyone.

Others have reported differently, and the H3 and CUI add a new variable to the mix that may change that prior behavior,
Hopper 3, obviously with CUI, Flex Package, dropped locals, and kept guide data on OTA channels. Admittedly, this was 6+ months ago.

and even Dish's own policy may have changed with the recent capability of dropping locals.
Yeap, Dish could change this policy tomorrow. As it is at the moment though, you'll still get the guide data.

Yeap, Dish could change this policy tomorrow. As it is at the moment though, you'll still get the guide data.
As of now, we don't know if the policy has already changed, given the conflicting reports in this thread.

Locals optional pricing was a good idea and needed for awhile now. Some subscribers pick up their own locals just fine and don't need to pay for them. Now if the station owners get greedy, Dish can just raise the local channels for that area and people can blame their local stations.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts