Local HD's in Alpharetta, GA

jdhendrix

Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
This past weekend I placed my order for the 622 and asked them to sign me up for the local HD channels, but csr said that they were not currently available in my area. I've seen several post saying otherwise, which I mentioned the the csr, but had no luck in adding the package. Does anybody have any info that can help me out?

Well then yes the Atlanta locals are available.

When you get installed with the dish1000 and order locals the HD channels will just be there. You don't really have to argue with dish about it...

The only problem that you might run into is the line of sight to the 129 bird. I convinced a co-worker of mine to switch from Comcast to Dish and to get the 622 and the Dish 1000. Installer came out and can't see 129. Even tried a 2 dish solution. Too many trees and 129 is too low on the horizon. Dish should have put the Atlanta locals on 61.5 as it is easy to hit from the Atlanta area. Stupid Stupid move on their part!

I have written an email to ceo@echostar.com concerning the reception of 129, as it relates to trees, in the Atlanta area. I would strongly urge those that have tree related reception issues with 129 to do the same.

Below is a copy of that email minus the photo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir,

My name is XXXXXX XXXX and I am a current Dish Network subscriber. I am writing to express my concern about the placement of Atlanta HD locals on the 129 Satellite location. This satellite requires a elevation of 28.7 to be seen with a reliable signal in this area. Unfortunately for satellite reception the Atlanta Metropolitan area was built, or should I say carved, out of an area that once belonged to the Creek and Cherokee Indians, and is reported to have more trees than any major city in the United States. Please view this link for an article written by Lawrence A. Wilson, The Natural History Of Atlanta, that does an excellent job describing the Topography and Physiography on the Atlanta area. The photo that I have included was taken from Google Earth and shows the neighborhood where I live, which is a mere five miles from downtown Atlanta. Might I suggest you take a tour of the Atlanta area via Google Earth, in order that you can see for yourself that the photo I included is representative of the residential areas that surround this city.

My attempts to receive the 129 Satellite location were met with dismal results. After carefully surveying my property with an installer his conclusion was, remember I am in Atlanta, "it ain't gonna happen". I can assure you that I am not an isolated case when it comes to receiving this particular satellite in the Atlanta area. Many have expressed similar issues from Atlanta on Satelliteguys and DBSTalk which are two of the largest internet forums dedicated to the satellite television industry. I am sure there were many areas of consideration, that I am not aware of, that were reviewed prior to deciding on this Satellite location. Unfortunately that decision may ultimately have an adverse impact on the ability of many of your customers in this market to receive Atlanta HD locals. It appears that HD locals have become a priority for you as well as your competitors. From a business point of view it would appear logical for that service to be provided on a vehicle that offers the widest means of distribution. For this area the Satellite locations of 110, 119 or 61.5 would appear to be the logical choice unless there are technical reasons which makes this decision impractical.

Thanks in advance for considering this request. If I can provide any additional information I will be more than happy to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)