Local KXLT Digital Stations Can't Be Picked Up with Digital Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Original poster
Nov 24, 2022
Midwest
I connect a Vizio Smart TV upstairs to a RCA RCA Flat Multi-Directional Digital HD Amplified Indoor TV Antenna Model ANT1660E.

It connected using a coax cable with unit plugged in.

Placed it near TV got four stations. Placed in north facing window and got more channels.

I then placed antenna in the attic of the two story home with a temporary coax line running up the foldout down stairway.

I was able to get all the stations on the attached list except for all the digital 47 channels at the bottom, which is strange because some of the other channels are from the same location but with a different tower.

I am really after MeTV with this quest as the local telephone company is discontinuing their current provider. DirecTv does not carry MeTV and only carry 8 of these local channels. Dish Network carries MeTv, but only carries 9 of these local channels. We don't want to do business with Dish Network as you don't want fees paid to the Chinese state broadcaster China Central Television which includes two propaganda channels in Dish Network packages.

Our current telephone company provider will expire on 1-23-23 and it includes all the channels on the list except for Defy, TruReal and Newsy.

Could this be an issue with these stations being blacked out from digital antennas?

Not really sure if a larger antenna specifically built for a attic or outdoor use would work at all as they don't appear to be amplified and this small unit will not pick any stations unless its plugged in. I can do attic install myself.

The next highest point would be a wood burning furnace chimney that is encased inside a wood structure that is just over 40 feet tall. That would require a large expense as we would need to hire a contractor to install a antenna and lighting rod with a boom truck, run the connection to the basement, divide the signal and run lines through the walls.

RCA Flat Multi-Directional Digital HD Amplified Indoor TV Antenna at Menards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.19.35 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.19.35 PM copy.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.19.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.19.50 PM.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 153
I connect a Vizio Smart TV upstairs to a RCA RCA Flat Multi-Directional Digital HD Amplified Indoor TV Antenna Model ANT1660E.

Placed it near TV got four stations. Placed in north facing window and got more channels.

I then placed antenna in the attic of the two story home with a temporary coax line running up the foldout down stairway.

I was able to get all the stations on the attached list except for all the digital 47 channels at the bottom, which is strange because some of the other channels are from the same location but with a different tower.

I am really after MeTV with this quest as the local telephone company is discontinuing their current provider. DirecTv does not carry MeTV and only carry 8 of these local channels. Dish Network carries MeTv, but only carries 9 of these local channels. We don't want to do business with Dish Network as you don't want fees paid to the Chinese state broadcaster China Central Television which includes two propaganda channels in Dish Network packages.

Our current telephone company provider will expire on 1-23-23 and it includes all the channels on the list except for Defy, TruReal and Newsy.

Could this be an issue with these stations being blacked out from digital antennas?

Not really sure if a larger antenna specifically built for a attic or outdoor use would work at all as they don't appear to be amplified and this small unit will not pick any stations unless its plugged in. I can do attic install myself.

The next highest point would be a wood burning furnace chimney that is encased inside a wood structure that is just over 40 feet tall. That would require a large expense as we would need to hire a contractor to install a antenna and lighting rod with a boom truck, run the connection to the basement, divide the signal and run lines through the walls.

Your screenshot is worthless, it's far too small to read. You need to run a rabbitears report, and post the RESULTS link in this thread. Then we can advise you properly. RabbitEars.Info

Your screenshot is worthless, it's far too small to read. You need to run a rabbitears report, and post the RESULTS link in this thread. Then we can advise you properly. RabbitEars.Info
Thats is strange because if I click on the image to bring up a popup window and click on the image again I can read it on one of my 24" monitors.

RabbitEars.Info

The local KXLT stations will not show up on this tool unless you use an option that states the antenna will be at least 30 feet off the ground.

AntennaWeb - Antenna Prediction Results

Last edited:
Reactions: fireball517
Thats is strange because if I click on the image to bring up a popup window and click on the image again I can read it on one of my 24" monitors.

RabbitEars.Info

The local KXLT stations will not show up on this tool unless you use an option that states the antenna will be at least 30 feet off the ground.

It appears from your RabbitEars report that KXLT has a smaller coverage area than your other stations and you fall at the edge of it. Replacing the flat antenna antenna with a small directional one would likely solve your problem. Mounting outdoors is always better if possible but it could still likely be placed in your attic if desired.

I have had good luck with the Stellar Labs antennas from Newark. Most of your channels are UHF but there is a VHF-Hi channel as well. I am sure others will suggest options but perhaps try this one, which is under four feet in length:

Good luck! :)

RabbitEars.Info

This is the reason why you can't get that solid on an inside antenna. It's 41 miles away, and "1-edge", meaning behind something tall enough that the signal has to bounce off of it before getting to you. That means it is not "line of sight".

You need a much better antenna, outside, and up as high as you can get. Click this link and you'll see: RabbitEars.Info

This antenna would be a solid choice, and would likely get that and many others very well. I own one myself: Televes DATBOSS Mix LR UHF VHF Long Range Outdoor TV Antenna (149884)

The issue with KXLT is it broadcasts at much lower power than the other full power stations that broadcast from Grand Meadow
KAAL ABC 620,000 watts 1070 feet
KSMQ PBS 319,200 watts 994 feet
KXLT FOX 108,000 watts 1125 feet

So while KXLT has the most height they broadcast at the lowest and also has a directional pattern
KXLT.jpg

If you wish I would head over to avsforum and post in the Rochester, MN thread. There is an installer that posts in both the Rochester and Minneapolis threads as he installs in the metro and southern MN (and surrounding areas).

Matt Pease knows his stuff.
The issue with KXLT is it broadcasts at much lower power than the other full power stations that broadcast from Grand Meadow
KAAL ABC 620,000 watts 1070 feet
KSMQ PBS 319,200 watts 994 feet
KXLT FOX 108,000 watts 1125 feet

So while KXLT has the most height they broadcast at the lowest and also has a directional pattern
View attachment 159586

If you wish I would head over to avsforum and post in the Rochester, MN thread. There is an installer that posts in both the Rochester and Minneapolis threads as he installs in the metro and southern MN (and surrounding areas).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Any idea if this unit mounted in the attic might work? It is the only thing that is available at retail here.

Televes DAT BOSS Attic/Outdoor TV Antenna at Menards

I am trying to avoid a external unit with lighting protection as that means calling in a contractor, in which case I'd likely not install anything.
That's a very good antenna, I have one myself.

It'll work in the attic IF it fits (it's pretty large, maybe assemble it up there), IF there's nothing in the roofing or sidewalls that's metallic, and IF you can aim it in the direction of the stations. 30 degree beamwidth for UHF, and about 60 degree beamwidth for VHF.

Putting any antenna in the attic will incur at least 40% signal loss compared to being outside.

Mount a mast pole from the rafters, and hang it on that in a way that you can swing it to get the best signal.

Have you tried rescanning for channels with the AMP boost off. Amps cause problems locking on to channels.

Have you tried rescanning for channels with the AMP boost off. Amps cause problems locking on to channels.
If its unplugged then there are no channels.

Too much of the signal is being cut off by the attic.

Another online calculator suggested a 30 foot minimum height in order to get those stations, which is about 8 foot less than what can be achieved in the attic.

You have 3 strikes against you right now.
1. The antenna you are using is for indoor use and is very small despite amplification. It is designed to receive local signals (usually less than 25 miles).
2. The signal is very weak from the transmitter and is directional away from you.
3. The transmitter is 40 miles away.

Get a better antenna. It might not have to be a large UHF antenna but might require amplification.
Put the antenna outside. 40 miles is over the horizon so you will be receiving signal that has to "Bend" over the horizon.

40 miles is over the horizon so you will be receiving signal that has to "Bend" over the horizon.
That part of your response is wrong, though the rest is fine.

The horizon for antenna reception, is around 60~ miles. That's about where station towers start dropping below the horizon and have to bend their signal.