Longest cable run

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
I'm getting D* with Whole Home DVR installed on Wednesday and I prefer to do most of the cabling myself, mostly for cosmetic reasons. A couple of the runs to the individual rooms are looking to be a bit over 100 feet from the central switch. I'm using a good RG6 Quad Shield and was wondering what would be the longest run I could make without creating a problem.

Last edited:
They say 125 feet total for SWM, but I think there is some wiggle room in that.

You should be fine unless the dish has to be way away from the house. How clear is your southern exposure?

It's good and clear. The downlead from the Dish will probably be about 30-40 feet at the most. It's the leads going to some of the rooms that will be closer to 100 feet. If 125 feet is the recommendation, then I should be fine, it won't get that long.

I would think even at 150 ft you will be fine especially if you are using a good quality solid copper 3ghz RG6.

I highly doubt they rate the system footage without reasonable cushion.

If you are prepping all this yourself, a good program to get if you have a capable smart phone would be the dishpointer software.
It will give you a good idea of places to put the dish.
If your utilities have a southern exposure then it make take less then 10feet of cable from dish to ground.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts