Look at Timewarner cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called Time Warner ONLY due to trying to cut my monthly costs as part of an overall budget setting move, and found that I can get a one year deal which includes 230 digital channels + HD-DVR and I can save an additional $5 ($45.99 after deal) on my cable internet for a total of $95 + tax, per month.
With Dish, my bill looks like this:
Dish DVR Advantage 49.99
Leased receiver fee 7.00
Dish Home Protection 5.99
Dish HD with 1 Premium pkg 30.00
Access fee 5.00 (No phone)
------------------------------
Total: 97.98 + tax

Plus full price cable modem at $49.99 = $147.97

I would save about $53/month... Dang... I think I might try it. I'm afraid to leave Dish though! Been with them since 1998...
Do you think I could call them and see if they can "price match"? I can't see how it could hurt since I'd be leaving anyway?

Just to add fuel to the fire....

I didn't see the RSN's listed on that list anywhere. Just like the movie packages, they are available to any DirectTV subscriber by paying an additional fee. This would significantly up their count.

If you're going to count the movie packages, then you need to count the RSN's.
I agree with this, a national full time channel available to ANYONE counts IMHO.

I have a problem with counting RSN's as national.

Main reason is, if a major sports event happens and the channel isn't near you, blackout.

So yeah, I honestly can't see how you'd count a REGIONAL channel as national.

I have a problem with counting RSN's as national.

Main reason is, if a major sports event happens and the channel isn't near you, blackout.

So yeah, I honestly can't see how you'd count a REGIONAL channel as national.

You can also get around that with various sports packages. There is a way for ANYONE to watch nearly all of the HD RSNs on D* 24/7. I do understand your point, I simply dont agree with it.:up

Yall keep saying "oh boo hoo why count local hd channels and local sports channels" QQ!

Sure Bobs Best Cable Company in Bob City, Oklahoma may have 303 HD channels but has a market of 110,000.. Then Cindy's Rockin Fiber Cable has 297 HD channels in Cindiana, Utah with a market of 240,000

How many Cables companies are truely National? ZERO That leaves, on a national level, Dish, Direct and FTA, sat. Sure if you live in Cindiana that particular service may be better. My Local Cable company offers ZERO HD and a whopping 23 SD channels that look like utter crap, so Dish and D* have won this area hands down. Next Town over (Charter) offers 7 HD channels, sometimes when they dont hit BW caps. North of me about 15 miles there is CWA Cable.. they offer 3 HD channels which are ABC/NBC/CBS which are rebroadcast OTA over cable. In an 50-75 mile radius with a bit over 600k pop, I would be surprised if the cable companies had 20 HD channels combined.

Oh Sam lives in NY and gets FiOs .. great go for it... Billy lives in LA and gets 150 HD's great go for it. Sat service isnt for everyone and is not always the best deal, but neither is cable. It is what you perceive as the best deal.

The TimeWarner cable in my area didn't have half the HD channels I have now with D*. The final straw for me with TimeWarner was when they added USA Network HD for 1 or 2 weeks and then got rid of it.:eek:

I suppose I should check back in 2 years when my contract is over with D* and see who has more of what I want. In 2 years everything could be different.

Honestly, seems to me alot of the people responding are children, or in some way do not pay for their television service.

I personally can't imagine that anyone stuck in a recession wouldn't be looking at everything and planning cuts if it's not worth it. The fact that some people make nothing but excuses for D* clearly shows they do not pay for the service themselves.

Given the coverage maps, it looks like Verizon FIOS is available to well over 5% of the population. The greater NYC metro area alone is close to that.

No one has stated that Verizon is #1 in households served. What we are saying is that amongst the leading providers of DBS & Cable, Verizon FIOS offers the most national HD channels.

I would agree that if a cable service in one town in central Ohio is offering more HD than anyone, that it wouldn't be that significant.

D* has been stating for over 1.5 years now that they are the HD leader. That they have more capacity than cable providers. However major cable/fiber providers like Verizon, Time-Warner, and AT&T have passed D* in the actual number of national HD channels being offered. I think this is important to note. These are D*'s competitors for millions of subscribers.

Just because a service is only available in a select number of large cities does not mean it isn't a significant competitor to D*. There are over 100 million people in the USA's 11 largest metropolitan areas. Over 50% of the US population lives in the top 30 metro areas. If D* doesn't effectively compete in these lucrative metro areas, then it will affect their overall profitability.

Well, i think ''whos'' number one will change several times. I remember when dish held that ttile unitl direc tooK the top spot.

Right now, to me, its all the same. All these companies are offering very similar packages of HD.

After revisiting Cablevision on Long Island, I truely loved their HD package. However, their dvr was weak in comparision to dish. Better than direc though.

Its basically a shell game right now. Nothing new and exciting.

Direc made some minor and wecome noise with PBSHD.. Nice addition.

Honestly, seems to me alot of the people responding are children, or in some way do not pay for their television service.

I personally can't imagine that anyone stuck in a recession wouldn't be looking at everything and planning cuts if it's not worth it. The fact that some people make nothing but excuses for D* clearly shows they do not pay for the service themselves.
Thats just it, perhaps to those defending D*, it IS worth it. Perhaps they are just satisfied.

Thats just it, perhaps to those defending D*, it IS worth it. Perhaps they are just satisfied.

Possibly, but I'd only imagine the ones who are satisfied, are doing so while accepting other viewpoints.

The ones lashing out at people mad at the channel count, and/or apologizing for D*, do not seem like the type who pay their own bills.

If somebody is okay with the service, good for them. But the idiots going around apologizing for a corporation that could care nothing for them, unnerves me. This of course has alot to do with the banks/AIG fiasco, but still...

Direc tv..Best customer service..Great Center Ice, NFL packages..Worst Dvrs.
The DVR part is very subjective. Even so, I am sure there are people that would agree with you. I just dont happen to be one of them. There are some things that could be better sure, but I have seen and used far worse DVRs. Just my opinion.

The whole point of this is, I find the same argument that the D* apologists have with any console kid fanboy. Company pisses on them, they call it rain.

The issue here is that these people have mommy and daddy pay for everything. In the real world, things are alot different.

Personally, I think D* is well worth it. But if suddenly I was to get a pay cut or lose my job, what would I do? I try to plan for situations, try to plan what is expendable and what isn't. If D* isn't gonna keep with the times, though, then it isn't worth it on the long run, or even 6 months from now. Hell, I may as well get dialup if I wanted to be stuck in the past.

Personally, if the D* apologists are kids, I wonder what will happen when mommy and daddy decide it's not worth keeping in this economy...

The whole point of this is, I find the same argument that the D* apologists have with any console kid fanboy. Company pisses on them, they call it rain.

The issue here is that these people have mommy and daddy pay for everything. In the real world, things are alot different.

Personally, I think D* is well worth it. But if suddenly I was to get a pay cut or lose my job, what would I do? I try to plan for situations, try to plan what is expendable and what isn't.

Personally, if the D* apologists are kids, I wonder what will happen when mommy and daddy decide it's not worth keeping in this economy...

Zellio, I think you are reaching a bit to make this point. What does the economy or recession have to do with someone being satisfied or "apologizing" for D* as you put it? Some may be fanboys (if you want to call them that), but I doubt there are very many people here that wouldnt cut out or at least cut back on excess spending (sat. service, cell phone service, internet, ect) if it came down to surviving a recession. I havent seen any comments on here that would make me think otherwise. If I missed them, I apologize, perhaps you can point them out?

Um, yes, most of the comments apologozing for D* are by people obviously not wanting to cut back.

And I'm kinda surprised you'd reply with that. In a recession, you stay with what is well worth it. What gives the most bang for the buck. If another company has more channels for less, how can anyone look at their D* package in a recession and NOT feel ripped off?

I know most, if not all of you, are buying different groceries, and using less gas, because the price is too high.

Um, yes, most of the comments apologozing for D* are by people obviously not wanting to cut back.

And I'm kinda surprised you'd reply with that. In a recession, you stay with what is well worth it. What gives the most bang for the buck. If another company has more channels for less, how can anyone look at their D* package in a recession and NOT feel ripped off?

Perhaps I am not reading the same comments as you, or I am simply not taking them the same way?

Personally, I would look at it from the viewpoint of being able to afford it. If I enjoy it, and I can reasonably pay for it without essentials suffering, I would keep it. If it would put a strain on my family, I would cut back or turn it off (or suspend it until things got better, dont have to pay a cancel fee for that). In any case, I am not going to sub to something that would put me in financial jeapordy if I am without work for a few months or so.

As to looking at a company with more channels, IF I am getting what I want, and there arent any channels offered by that other company that appeal to me (price being pretty close), I wouldnt feel ripped off at all. More for less (or the same) money doesnt concern me if its not more of something I want. Some may feel different.

Edit: Honestly, 80% of my veiwing comes from the major OTA networks. The other 20% is ESPN, the RSN channels, and the occasional odd channel here or there. So as of now, I am set.

Well, and I hate to say it, but that lack is planning is kinda what did the auto industry and finance in.

I'm not gonna tell ya how to live your life, but when you won't fight for your money and apologize for a company, I personally would say it would be quite a bit more difficult to get rid of the company you adore when it comes time to reduce consumption.

And the whole idea of having it or not having it is due to a lack of planning. Good planning looks beyond 5 years, and makes sure you can afford something.

The only reason I have Directv is the recession, and that's because I've had a 23 mpg car since 2003 and have gone so green I've actually been paid $1600+ by the local energy company (I was on a pay a certain fee plan).

This year my energy bills half been more then halved, and I generally haven't had too much of an issue.

Planning takes more then just looking at stuff, it takes alot of logic. If D* is not gonna be a good investment 6 months for now, I'd honestly like to start considering my options.

And btw, that's true. I got Directv on superbowl sunday this year. Last time I had any type of pay tv was at my parent's house in 1990.

And if I don't sound like a hippe already, I'm planning on using my $1600 on 3 small wind generators outside, if the city hall approves. This is the thing, I knew awhile back an energy crisis would come, and planned ahead. It's why the energy crysis hasn't affected me.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)