Looking for a New TV

I really like the Sony X930D they have a gorgeous picture. One thing about Sony TV's they can be great investments because they don't just abandon the TV. Here is quote from article I found.

Quote: the good news that Sony does not leave older models to wither, as is the norm in the industry.

Samsung's example in 2017 on the 3rd generation Tizen, but older models have not been updates. LG is the 2017 generation 3.5 and older models have not been updates. Firefox OS in Panasonic is completely abandoned.

Link: http://flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484294601

I really like the Sony X930D they have a gorgeous picture. One thing about Sony TV's they can be great investments because they don't just abandon the TV. Here is quote from article I found.

Quote: the good news that Sony does not leave older models to wither, as is the norm in the industry.

Samsung's example in 2017 on the 3rd generation Tizen, but older models have not been updates. LG is the 2017 generation 3.5 and older models have not been updates. Firefox OS in Panasonic is completely abandoned.

I can't say about Samsung, But Vizio updates their tvs quite frequently.

I've read at credible sources like Vizio owners forums that Vizio updates are often for things that don't work right and product released with known bugs to make marketing deadlines and often the updates don't work either .

I read the CMS is usually broken on a lot of Viszio TV product and it's best not to calibrate those TV's because of that ...................., IMO you can't make a silk purse out of a Tier two brand product with firmware updates and they don't make TV's at Vizio anyway they are a Vizio OD marketer without an HDR 1000 spec. TV ,I call them at best slightly above blue light special rubbish noting thats just my opinion and I can repair TV's at the board level .:eek

I always buy tier one brand sets at Sony ,Samsung and LG .

OTOH Sony TV updated the 2015 Sony 4K WCG HDR products to upgraded full HDR processing ,HDMI 2.0a , HEVC and VP 9 the same Android 6 platform and ultimately the same HDR /SDR processing and also the backlight control processing as 2016 Sony product as applicable and some of the 2017 Sony product .

Sony will be making Android 7 ( Andoid N ) a 2015 to 2017 Sony Android platform update and thgey have a new TV android software update channel now for the TV's for new firmware features and so on going back to 2015 product while the apps update automatically .

All that makes a good argument for the usual Sony Tax :clapping
Sony also firmware upgraded the 2015 Sony XBR 850C here for better HDR /SDR processing and significantly more backlight brightness to match the 2016 same product tier

That said I think the 2016 product smart money for a not too spendy real decent TV is the 4K SDR Samsung KU 6290 and virtually the same Samsung KU 6300 that just adds bluetooth and for 4K wide color Gamut full HDR the Samsung KS 8000 . :clapping

Last edited:

That's a terrific TV and the de facto decent Sony 2016 4K HDR product since they screwed the pooch with an IPS panel in the X850C .
They won't be doing that again with the 2017 X850E /X900E :p

I have the 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR X850C in here and it's way more real decent for the spend now after the Android 6 platform and firmware SDR /HDR processing upgrades and more backlight NITS that made it a same brightness and a better TV than the 2016 X850C product .:p

I'm contemplating the Sony X1 xtreme processing 4K HDR X930E or a Sony OLED or 9ZD or 2019 LGD OLED TADF emitter panels in a Sony or LG OLED TV if they take care of the usual OLED issues and or if the usual Sony tax comes down on the Z1C OLED or the 9ZD otherwise X930E may be the TV to upgrade the X850C in here if it shakes out to look that better which is entirely plausible :clapping

Reactions: camo
I've read at credible sources like Vizio owners forums that Vizio updates are often for things that don't work right and product released with known bugs to make marketing deadlines and often the updates don't work either .

I read the CMS is usually broken on a lot of Viszio TV product and it's best not to calibrate those TV's because of that ...................., IMO you can't make a silk purse out of a Tier two brand product with firmware updates and they don't make TV's at Vizio anyway they are a Vizio OD marketer without an HDR 1000 spec. TV ,I call them at best slightly above blue light special rubbish noting thats just my opinion and I can repair TV's at the board level .:eek

I always buy tier one brand sets at Sony ,Samsung and LG .

OTOH Sony TV updated the 2015 Sony 4K WCG HDR products to upgraded full HDR processing ,HDMI 2.0a , HEVC and VP 9 the same Android 6 platform and ultimately the same HDR /SDR processing and also the backlight control processing as 2016 Sony product as applicable and some of the 2017 Sony product .

Sony will be making Android 7 ( Andoid N ) a 2015 to 2017 Sony Android platform update and thgey have a new TV android software update channel now for the TV's for new firmware features and so on going back to 2015 product while the apps update automatically .

All that makes a good argument for the usual Sony Tax :clapping
Sony also firmware upgraded the 2015 Sony XBR 850C here for better HDR /SDR processing and significantly more backlight brightness to match the 2016 same product tier

That said I think the 2016 product smart money for a not too spendy real decent TV is the 4K SDR Samsung KU 6290 and virtually the same Samsung KU 6300 that just adds bluetooth and for 4K wide color Gamut full HDR the Samsung KS 8000 . :clapping
Then you always over pay .
Because Vizio kicks the crap out of Sony and Samsung in just about every review.

And Samsung is unimpressive to say the least.
Its an over marketed brand that fall well short of my expectations.
Always has.

Reactions: Dirtydan
Then you always over pay .
Because Vizio kicks the crap out of Sony and Samsung in just about every review.
And Samsung is unimpressive to say the least.
Its an over marketed brand that fall well short of my expectations. Always has.

Samsung TV products at one point in history would maybe fit the Vizio or worse cheap door buster market below Vizio , some of them were rubbish and the DLP they and everybody made were rubbish anyway .

Samung had the bad cap formulation thing more than Sony with better quality Japanese Nichicon and Rubycon caps they still use but none of them are defect free and the spendy Sony SXRD LCoS was a bust outside of its decent 1080p Picture, I got rid of mine before the light engine blew up.like a lot of them did .

My low spend for Sony , 1080p 2013 Sony Bravia is rubbish I had to replace the LED stips in it myself at 2.2 years for the sunroom /day room out back where I banished the low bright 6 bit + frc panel 2013 Sony Bravia rubbish unlike my Sony XBR TV's since 1993 that never ever broke before they busted outta here and some at 12-14 years ,

The often on 2013 LG and 2013 Samsung here and this 4K HDR Sony XBR been golden so far they have the Costco squaretrade warranty anyway No TV including this Sony 4K HDR been in here more than 2 years since 2009 and I'm contemplating the next upgrade but it needs to bwe a wow upgrade and that wouldn't be a Vizio downgrade in here :clapping

Don't want Vizio ,never did and don't need one my unencumbered spending what I want on budget is not constrained to those which would be thier markets and thats fine for them and the buyers they are significantly better than many low spend doorbusters .

I will probably put a Sony OLED or Sony 9ZD in here anyway and put this 2015 4K WCG HDR Sony LCD in another room

OTOH Vizio market is isn't my market like the Sony XBR 4K HDR TV or range topping Samsung 64f8500 plasma here and maybe Sony OLED or 9ZD but not below a Sony 2017 930E .

Vizio are fine for some but not so much the cognoscenti and so on .

Mostly only wholly biased to price weighted reviews favor Vizio over the tier one product even Cnet's David katzmaier and Digital Trends freely admits that weighting for Vizio ZZZZZZ:shh

Vizio doesn't make TV's and don't seem to have a plausible 4K WCG HDR TV in feb. 2017 yet and they seem to be too cheap or wrong headed to put RF tuners in a lot of thier best TV's . Any smart TV platform can run off a Tard pad or phone now anyway ? :nana

The business case study is Vizio recently got bought by Le Eco that makes better TV's anyway and an argument making the rounds is Le Eco may not invest CAPEX in Visio to significantly update thier dated ho hum product line beyond a ( *pending ) NASDAQ IPO and that expense for a stock pump and dump like they maybe they bought them for anyway before Hisense and Foxconn run Vizio off the planet .

Investors like myself frankly speaking arent much interested in the NASDAQ tech sector right now it's been a bust lately hence the pending Vizio IPO .:nana

Vizio are thrifty box store and Costco special above door buster rubbish and thats OK everybody can't or won't afford the tier one brands like Sony LG and Samsung and some folks just want a TV above the door busters .

Again my advice to the paparazzi is a tier one brand full featured Samsung,Sony or LG not below 4K SDR with a caveat don't buy the cheap model tier one brands below a decent for the spend Samsung KU 6290 or Sony XBR X800D and maybe not the cheap LG 4K SDR with RGBW LCD unless one wants a Vizio which may be fine for some folks and some room uses
:hatsoff

Last edited:
I got a 55 inch Vizio uhd 3 weeks ago and love it. No OTA tuner but I bought a Homeworks OTA tuner for$27 at Amazon and it works great including the EPG. Sound is tinny but I use the optical out to my tuner anyway. It also has 4 HDMI ports.Got itat WallyWorld on sale for $469. It is clearly marked on the box as a display and a OTA tuner is needed. Sorry, E series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)