Looking for new tv - HELP!

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am starting to look for a new tv. I currently have a 9year old HDTV tube monitor. So now I am overloaded with terms and options. I am looking for a 42"-50" flat panel. My questions - Lcd or Plasma? 720 or 1080? Now is ee some are measured diag and some are widescreen. HELP! I will be putting the tv in a room that is 16'x16'. Will be viewing from a distance of approx 8-10'. THANKS for any help!

You don't mention what you plan to spend, but at 10' go for at least 46"; 50" if it's in your budget. There are some pretty nice plasmas by Panasonic and Samsung that can be had for around $1,500 for a 50-incher.

I second the panny plasma recommendation.

I have had a few LCD and plasma sets over the past few years, and IMO only, there is little to compare to the panny plasmas at that price range (and even beyond).

I recently sold my samsung plasma and bought my second panny. This one was a 1080p 42 incher. Very accurate colors, great PQ, easy to set up. My other panny is 720p and it is good too, if that is more in your budget.

If that is not what you decide on, the sammy plasma was a good set as well, just not as good as the panny (again for me).

As far as LCD goes, they look great in most cases, and most would be happy with them. For my setup, and for what I watch most (sports and movies), the plasma sets just have a smoother picture, and more realistic looking colors when set up correctly.

Good time to be buying. There are great deals out there. Makes me want to buy another one...lol

Having both, I would say that if you watch mostly sports, go for a LCD, but movies are much better, IMO, on plasma.

Also, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they bought too big a set, but have heard lots say they wish they had went for larger sets. Get the 50" if its within your budget, 46 at the absolute minimum for that distance. You will not regret it.

Having both, I would say that if you watch mostly sports, go for a LCD, but movies are much better, IMO, on plasma.

Also, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they bought too big a set, but have heard lots say they wish they had went for larger sets. Get the 50" if its within your budget, 46 at the absolute minimum for that distance. You will not regret it.
Hmm, I would say for sports (because of the motion) that plasma would give you a smoother picture. Motion blur on LCD is not as big of a deal as it once was, but I can still see it in fast action sports. Others may not.

I do agree with you about the size however. The TV will only "get" smaller the longer you have it.

Thanks for the info! Sears has a 50 inch on sale for $899 (LG and panasonic) and a 42 for $699.
Those are the prices for the 720p models. Good deals on those, however they will be harder and harder to find in the coming years.

If you can afford it, I would reccomend getting the 1080 version. If for no other reason, you will be more "future proof".

That said, I have one 720p version also, and it gives a very, very good picture. Nothing to complain about on it at all.

Edit: I see that Sears has the 46" 1080p version for around $1100 and the 42" 1080p for $899. Good deals for either.

Samsung LED. LED is the new standard IMO. LED's are a few bucks more but the picture is simply stunning. Oh and the sets are 1.2 inches thick.

Don’t buy plasma, most manufactures don’t make plasma TV anymore since couple years now,Thats why is getting cheap now,and later hard to find parts for it in long run!.. LCD TVS beat the compotation. Juts like Blu-ray VS HD players.finally BLU-ray won.
Don’t waste your money on plasma..Get a nice 52” 1080p LCD TV ,U would be real happy with it I’m sure, when U connected the blu-ray player to it too …. anyway get SONY or Samsung brand…The best LCD TVS in the marker at this time

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)