What and How many connections do I need for a..

theyukonkid

Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
the Alaskan Bush
55 inch LCD HDTV

Dish HD Receiver- top of the line

Blu-Ray DVD- not yet purchased

Monster Power Center w/ Battery Backup 2700

Bose Lifestyle V20 Home Theater System

I would like to use Monster cables throughout, unless someone has another suggestion...

55 inch LCD HDTV

Dish HD Receiver- top of the line

Blu-Ray DVD- not yet purchased

Monster Power Center w/ Battery Backup 2700

Bose Lifestyle V20 Home Theater System

I would like to use Monster cables throughout, unless someone has another suggestion...

Forget the monster cable, go to monoprice. Better deals available there.

Monster is a total waste of money, I second the recomendation for HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. You will be amazed at the savings with the exact same quality.

I'm guessing you already have the Bose? If not do a bit more research as they are not worth the money either.

When you say "connections" what exactly are you talking about? You will want to use HDMI for both the Dish receiver (either a 722 or 722k depending on if you can get any OTA) and the Blu Ray player. That should be all you need as it will take care of audio and video.

Last edited:
theyukonkid, for video and audio you will need just three HDMI cables:
1. connect Dish HD receiver to your Bose system
2. connect Blu-ray player to your Bose system
3. connect your Bose system to the TV set.​
That's all.

I'm guessing you already have the Bose? If not do a bit more research as they are not worth the money either.

When you say "connections" what exactly are you talking about? You will want to use HDMI for both the Dish receiver (either a 722 or 722k depending on if you can get any OTA) and the Blu Ray player. That should be all you need as it will take care of audio and video.

I was looking into the Bose as I heard they had good deals for teachers.... though I have been unable to speak to anyone at Bose..as I am currently in Costa Rica

I like the Bose for the sound and size w/ wireless option. What would you suggest?
I am far from an audio expert, from my limited research, at that price would not most system sound pretty good? would the average person be able to tell the difference?

So assume the limit is $1500 for sound only. What you get?

theyukonkid, for video and audio you will need just three HDMI cables:
1. connect Dish HD receiver to your Bose system
2. connect Blu-ray player to your Bose system
3. connect your Bose system to the TV set.​
That's all.

I need the Power Center because the village I live in is powered by generators which forces us to adjust our clocks almost everyday!!!

Some guy said I might need an optical cable-? what up with that?

You won't need optical for anything. HDMI carries both audio and video.

Many will tell you that Bose products are crap. I would tell you that they are OK, but WAY overpriced. You can get a much much better sound for much less. There are tons of internet direct solutions that will sound better. I suggest that you head over to AVS Forum and do a bit of reading there.

One example is this one from SVSound (at less than $1k before shipping).
SVSound - Complete Systems
That would literally blow away a Bose system in every imaginable way. I personally have one of the SVS subs and it is the most amazing difference that you have ever heard.

You could then add a very reasonble (and higher quality) AV Receiver for a few hundred dollars. There are many other examples of reasonably prices systems that are much higher quality than Bose. I advise just taking your time and doing a bit more research before spending the $$

I need the Power Center because the village I live in is powered by generators which forces us to adjust our clocks almost everyday!!!

That's for your power cords, not for the audio/video connectors. HDMI cables are not connected to the Power Center. (I assume your question was about audio/video connections. Right?)

Some guy said I might need an optical cable-? what up with that?
No, you do not need optical cables if you use HDMI cables in the configuration you mentioned above. HDMI passes both video and audio signals and delivers much better audio quality than optical audio cables.

I mean every cable/wire that I need to connect everything, and then how

tv
power center
DVD
sound
sat. rec.

AC Power
Power center to the wall outlet.
DVD, sat receiver, amplifier, powered subwoofer and TV to the power center (5 components)

Audio/Video
This very much depends on what you buy for a receiver. Look for a system that has several HDMI inputs and which will also decode the audio from HDMI. The cheapest units just switch HDMI and require an optical cable for (inferior) audio. I stay away from recommending specific brands because this becomes a religious subject, but you can find nice HTIB solutions at this price from Denon and Onkyo tht are highly regarded here. There are also units from Sony, Panasonic, etc, but be more careful there, especially considering if they have the HDMI switching you need.

Some of the Bose units just handle audio and don't have HDMI.

If you find the receiver that does this, then DVD player and Sat receiver connect to the receiver via HDMI.

The TV connects to the TV via HDMI as well. That should be all you need. One nice thing about HDMI is how it eliminates cable clutter. You will just ned the HDMI cables mentioned earlier.

You also need wires to all the speakers from the amplifier. Several of the companies make wireless surrounds, but the reviews are all over the map with a lot of folks complaining that it is difficult to get a reliable wireless connection. Personally, I don't find it too difficult to run wires to the surrounds, either around the baseboards, or by drilling down to the basement or up to the attic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)