LOOking to get rid of direct TV and get FTA system to lower my cost monthly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garageguy

Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
thousand oaks,ca
Hey everybody,
Im new to all this but was told that i could buy a satellite system that picks up the digital Hd channels for free. Is this true . Is this a do it yourself project or are there installers around. also what is needed when you have multiple tvs(5) ?Is DVR still a option ? Any info and products to recommend would be greatly appreciat

Yes, you can get some HD channels for free by satellite. It is basically a diy system but you may be able to find an installer in your area. Multiple tv's would need a receiver for each TV. All the new fta receivers can DVR if you add a hard drive to it.

You are not going to find it the same as DirecTV, as most premium channels are not free or available to a fta system but I still find enough to watch. Check out The List at the top of the fta forums to see what channels are available. The list might not be up to date on all satellites but it is pretty close.

You would need to get at least a 90 cm dish for a ku fta system but if you got room for a 8' dish you will get a lot more channels on c band.

Hey everybody,
Im new to all this but was told that i could buy a satellite system that picks up the digital Hd channels for free. Is this true . Is this a do it yourself project or are there installers around. also what is needed when you have multiple tvs(5) ?Is DVR still a option ? Any info and products to recommend would be greatly appreciat
Welcome to Satellite Guys garageguy! The answer is both yes and no. Yes you can install a FTA sytem to feed multiple TVs. No, they will not be the channels you are currently viewing on DirecTV but there are many great channels available. Here is a list of what is available on both ku band (small dish about 36" required) and c band (8' or bigger is best but some use 6' with fair results). http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html C band is where you will find the most channels but depending on your interests ku has many good ones as well. You will need to determine where on your property you want to install your dish(es). You need a good view of the southern sky from southeast to southwest with no obstructions (trees, buildings, etc). There are installers who will do this is many areas but they are getting harder to find. The best bet is to do the install yourself. That way you learn how things are done and can do routine maintainence and upgrades on your system yourself. Please keep in mind that the channels are spread out over several satellites so a multiple tv setup may require more than one dish along with a multiswitch, coax, etc to feed several TVs as well as a receiver for each set. When done correctly however each set will be able to select whatever they want to watch from the satellites your dishes are aimed at.

Last edited:
First of all :welcometo Satellite Guys!

IMHO FTA TV is NOT for everyone!! It will NOT replace Direct or Dish for family use so don't think it will do everything they will. FTA is more of a DIY HOBBY and I'd bet that less than 50% of the wives or girlfriends of members here can operate an FTA system. All my darling Wife can do with mine is turn it on but the system here in the house is on a single power strip. Change satellites? Forget that, she has no clue nor any desire to find out how. If it's on she will sometimes watch but that's about it.

Not saying all this to run you off, just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into as it requires a fair amount of time/work and money to get a good system up and running.

Having said all that, there's quite a bit of satisfaction to be had from finding your first Satellite then doing that first blind scan and finding FREE TV to watch.

Be advised also that FTA "can" be addictive to some! :oldwink

Hi Guys, I have couple of questions about Directv dishes. I have 2 Directv dishes on my home roof installed by Directv technician 5 years ago.
I'll cancel my subscription from January 1st, 2016 and I have to return my HD DVR to Directv.
I'd like to buy a FTA Receiver and use existing Directv dishes. I have 2 of them - one dish with 3 heads for extended Directv package (HD & SD channels) and the second dish for Russian package and it focused in other direction.
I need your help to find an answer on 3 questions:
1. Can I buy a FTA receiver and use it instead of Directv receiver in order to get FTA channels (not Directv channels)? Should I change dishes direction on other satellites or I can get FTA channels from the same orbit satellites?
2. Can I buy a hacked tuner and watch some paid programs for free?
3. What is the best FTA receiver I can buy on e-bay? Or let me know where can buy it.
Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Not that "hacked" receivers even work anymore, but what you are talking about (piracy) is not condoned here, unless you want to get banned, I would suggest you not inquire about it any more here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts