Loop out question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
Having two receivers hooked together, is it possible to simultaneously be tuned to different dishes that are connected via a switch. i.e. can I watch something on my bud on port 2 while blind-scanning a sat on port 1 or vice-versa?

Thanks!

No, this is not possible with loop out, since switching the port for one receiver would also switch it for the other. Using the loop out to slave a receiver (when both are on) means that the slave receiver will only see the same satellite and the same polarity as the master receiver. If using a bandstacked LNB, both receivers can see both polarities, but will still only be able to see the same port on the switch.

Might add that some receivers need to stay on also. My CNX Mini has to be on (not power standby front power switch like watching it) for it to work the slave box using the Loop Out feature. I think my Coolsat 6000 was that way also. If I turn off the MINI to standby it will not feed the Loop Out. The CNX is a funny box for even with the power to off by remote or front switch, there is still power going to the motor. The green light is still on the motor in standby with the CNX.

If you turned the Master STB box off with the power switch in the back it would not feed the slave box at least that is the way here with the gear I got now. You will only get one polarity vertical or horizontal. I use the other outs to feed my bedroom from the wonderful Invacom QPH-031, that works the best but if you’re on a motor, you have to use your master box to move it at what bird you want to watch. With the Invacom hooked up that way, you get both polarity’s on Master and slave but the Master has control of the movement. Loop out on the first box switched on has the polarity control and the moment of the motor in any case.

Playing with the Loop Out here I have noticed if say your Master box is on in the family room and you power on your salve box in the bedroom, with my set up I can leave the bedroom STB LNB power off and it works by the power off the Master STB. I always wondered how much voltage is going out to the dish motor at this point since if you have the LNB Power on both Master and Slave, you would think it would be 26 Volts vertical and 36 volts horizontal at your motor. I do think the electronics of the Boxes using the Loop Out regulates the voltage so nothing gets fried.

"you would think it would be 26 Volts vertical and 36 volts horizontal at your motor. I do think the electronics of the Boxes using the Loop Out regulates the voltage so nothing gets fried."

I think you'll find the STB's are actually connected in parallel to the motor/LNB's and therefore the voltages would NOT be additive, but would be the same as if ONE box was connected. I might add that the current (amperage) availability would be doubled.;)

"

I think you'll find the STB's are actually connected in parallel to the motor/LNB's and therefore the voltages would NOT be additive, but would be the same as if ONE box was connected. I might add that the current (amperage) availability would be doubled.;)

Would make it nice though for at those voltages it would take no time to make it across the arc! Would be hard on the motor though not to mention the dish when it stopped after going that fast!

Fancy RED brake calipers would be in order! ;)

I would not recommend using the loop out as I have repaired too many power supply boards on master receivers which had this arrangement. I have not investigated why this should be but it has been on models not normally prone to power supply failures.

I'm with pedrogarcia on avoiding the loop out port if you can, trouble waiting to happen.

It's fine for mini headends where you are rf modulating fixed individual channels from the reciever(s) with the same TP polarity into a channel combiner for distribution. Not soo good for feeding two recievers that are constantly changing channels & TP's unless you're using a single bandstacked lnb and turning lnb power off on the slave receiver. And with bandstacked, you can use a splitter instead of the loop out.

For what it's worth, the extra hassle of running multiple cables to the house is outweighed by the flexibility of configuration you gain. It is way easier to fiddle with switch/lnb combinations when you have two or three cables running to the house. It also helps keep the wailing and knashing of teeth from wife/kids to a minimum when you're modifying the system for the umpteenth time this month..........

I would not recommend using the loop out as I have repaired too many power supply boards on master receivers which had this arrangement. I have not investigated why this should be but it has been on models not normally prone to power supply failures.

I've never had any problems using loop thru ports. I use them all the time. However I always put a DC block between the receivers to prevent interaction of the power supplies.
Of course, as mentioned above, the loop-thru won't be useful for the desired purpose, but I can't think of any reason to avoid using the loop-thru, as long as you isolate the receivers. I've used loop-thru's to other receivers for years without ever having any problem. You're just limited to watching the same sat/polarity on the slave that you're watching on the master.

I know of some people who DON'T isolate the 2 receivers via DC-Blocks, but take care to turn off the master when using the slave, and visa versa. That way, they can both control the switch and polarity, although not at the same time. I think that this could be risky even without making a mistake, and don't recommend it, however the people who say they're doing it say it works.

I have an analog receiver attached to the loop out of my CS5000 for 3 years now with no issues. Also used to cascade receivers together on G10 (back when they use to have 3 or even 4 different MLB games on Sundays...sadly those are gone...most teams dont have an OTA schedule anymore) :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts