Losing last couple minutes of EVERY recording ... VIP622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I know I can add time to the timers but this is a PITA and should not be necessary. It also interferes with other programming.

It seems that almost every show I miss the last minute or two of the recording and that is a real pisser. I don't recall what receive I had before (3-4 years ago) but I did not have this issue. I suspect it is a Dish issue since they saw a need to add a software override.

Is this unique to my VIP-622 or is this the "norm" for Dish? Igf I try to record two events that start back-to-back this adding time totally screws things up.

Is there a solution or is it just my receiver?

Last Q ... does Direct TV have the same issue? If not I may switch!

Thanks

My Dish stuff has always seemed to find away to do that. I set my recording defaults to start on time, and finish 2 mins late. Fixes the issue for me, every program is 1hr and 2 mins unless they are back to back on the same station.

Setting the DEFAULT is not a PITA, and once its done its done. As far as interfering, if you prioritize the timers, I have no problems grabbing cable shows at a later time if there is a conflict.

While I agree Stephen, I never had to add 2 mins with Directv, but I do with Dish (In the past with a 722k and now with the Hopper). Im not sure why that is. It's no biggie, like I said I make it a default setting and go about my day.

Programmers do not always start and end shows at the exact times. This is the reason for that feature.

Thanks, however, it is ALWAYS ... not sometimes so something is not right with Dish on this. This feature should not be needed at all. The sats run on an atomic clock which is pretty accurate and when the dish is set to record to the end of the event then it seems it should (and it used to) do just that.

It does not happen with movies as there is always a good buffer on the end. But shows like Modern Marvels for example ... every single time

It could be the Guide service Dish uses.
I was thinking just that. I know a few years back I would see a show on the guide showing a start time at 9:02 and end time at 10:04. Today it is always 9:00 and 10:00. Maybe I was with Comcast at the time. I don't remember.

I remember when I swapped from Directv to the Hoppers last November, my first few recordings were cutoff until I did the facepalm and remembered the 2 min extension I always had on the 722k. AFAIK, I never had to do this on Directv, but they use a different guide service.

I have compared cable and ota to Dish and Dish is always a few seconds delayed. I may be wrong, but it takes time for Dish to get the downlink from the source, process the signal and then uplink it to a sat and then downlinkt to the receiver. And with channels not showing commercials at the top and bottom of the hour and just going from 1 show right into the next the delay could be the source of the problem.

This is more than a few seconds when you have to add 2 mins. That two mins sometimes even barely makes it to the credits. I agree OTA is ahead of the sat transmission, but the problem with the cutoff is it isnt 5 seconds, its minutes. Plus, Directv doesnt have the issue.

But it does seem odd if Direct does not have the same issue with History.

I can point out History directly, its been awhile. I do know that with Dish I have to set a 2 min extension, with Directv I did not. As stated earlier, I think its simply the guide service they both use.

I can point out History directly, its been awhile. I do know that with Dish I have to set a 2 min extension, with Directv I did not. As stated earlier, I think its simply the guide service they both use.

That's what I said, its a little of everything. History is notorious along with a few other channels for running long and Dish's guide goes hr to hr where as Directv's guide will show the few mins over in the guide. I don't have Directv anymore, so I don't know. I do know Cox runs like Dish and will cut shows off if they are not padded in the timer. Like you said, once you learn to adapt to it, its not a problem.

DIRECTV apparently deals with the problem by not "rounding" the start and end times and using the times indicated by the programmer. DISH seems to be content with rounding and that's probably where the problem comes from. It works with padding as long as you don't record back-to-back but that's not really an option anymore.

Note that DISH and DIRECTV both use the same guide data provider.

I thought if you're recording shows back-to-back from the same channel (any other timers are unavailable) that the 1-minute early / 3-minute late buffers were not applied ?

========

If one wants to check the accuracy of Dish, forgot recording anything for now. Just turn on a problem channel at 8:55pm and get your computer logged in at the Naval Atomic Clock and see what time the show really starts at (also note the time the Dish receiver says while you're at it). Note the end time the same way. I might try this myself....

I realize I'm zombie threading a little, but, fwiw, I've noticed this is a growing problem for my 211k the last few months. Years of being pretty much spot on, but recently, I'm missing the last minute or so of shows.

I think it's the networks trying to get people to watch the shows live as opposed to DVRing it and watching it later. Also networks someone do less commercials during certain parts of the day or gets off by a couple of minutes for whatever reason and that doesnt really help the issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)