Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

The other day I finally had the time do to some dish tweaking with my Christmas present...a Sathero 300HD.
I found it so much easier then lugging out my Micro HD, TV and ASC1. I was really able to enhance the signal on 97W and 99W by adjusting the elevation. Sprinkles moved in shortly after so I closed up shop for the day. After I was back inside and moving to 101W from 99W, the MicroHD's meter suddenly showed zero quality on the signal level indicating the the LNBF might have a bad connection between the receiver and the LNBF. I checked the connections and all looked okay. When I moved it back toward 99W the signal level returned, reading 90% and the signal quality on the Lesea feeds was 75-76%, which is what I got after tweaking.
What could cause the LNBF to cut out past 99W ? I even went all the way down to 107W thinking it might return, but it didn't. All satellites west of 99W had no signal level. East of 99W is fine on the meter.
Could I have messed up the elevation by over tweaking, leading to a loss of signal ?
FYI...I keep a feedhorn cover on, so it wasn't rain intrusion at the LNBF. Also I have no switches or splitters inline.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

John

It is possible yes. Could also be a cable that is getting tight as the dish moves that direction. Connector not screwed back on good in a hurry also could be it.
This is where that handy dandy meter will come into play, when the rain stops go back out and move past and watch that meter. If all looks good time to check that cable or connector.

Reactions: JFOK
Hi, John

If the signal level (not signal quality) is at 0% other than when the dish is moving, it usually means a bad connection of some sort.

When you have no lock on a transponder, signal level will be at 45%, not 0.

If it was your tweaking the elevation that caused it, then, even with no lock on anything, (no signal quality reading) once the dish was done moving, signal level should be 45%, not 0%.

Andy

Reactions: JFOK
Hi All,

Turns out I had lowered the elevation a little too much which affected all satellites east of 101W.
After readjusting the elevation, the signal level returned...whew !!!
Still learning how to use this Sathero 300HD...but I do like it alot.
Documentation on this meter is kinda basic/sparse it wasn't too detailed. Would have liked more info on how to read the spectrum analyzer and what the a.Ber, MER and C/N are all about. For the time being I'm just concentrating on the PWR reading for signal strength.
Its basically a scour the internet for info, combined with a trial and error technique that I'm using to operate this meter.
Thanks to all who replied.;)

John

Reactions: . Raine and KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts