Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Anybody else seeing ONN on G17? no signal
Got some other feed channels showing strong sig on same sat....

Well, then I must have a brain dsyfunction i better reboot this viewsat
edit to add : That reset its file pointers I guess, ONN @99% again.

Last edited:
yes the viewsat had a brain fart its fine now. About once a month it'll do that on one channel or another, guess I oughta factory reset it more often as much scanning as i do.

Anybody else seeing ONN on G17? no signal
Got some other feed channels showing strong sig on same sat....

I don't understand it. I have very low quality on ONN now also. I remember having it nice and strong a few days ago. It seems I always have trouble with SBS 6. I have to play with the skew to get feeds I see posted.

Can any of you experts comment? Is it my bud? The LNB isn't that old. Does it need peaking? That was my thought but, I can whip it over to G10R and receive KQUP with between 50 and 70 Quality. I just put it on AMC 1 and can receive CGN with 70 quality.

Is SBS6 just a weaker satellite? I'm almost tempted to get a fixed dish for this sat because it's a popular backhaul site. Ironically I use the viewsat also. Maybe it's tuner is weak. I just tried rebooting it. Didn't help. Also bypassed Diseqc and 22 khz. :mad:

P.S. I have an absolutely clear view of the sky looking at this sat. Not a tree or obstruction in site

Hi Charles, fellow Alabamian!
I have to use the "turn off the Viewsat in the back and that usually fixes everything method" a lot also!
After a good reboot - it runs nicely.
ONN running great here - but might not be if I don't reboot in a couple of weeks.
I wonder if other fta boxes are like this. My friend has my Mercury 2 so I have barely used it.
During my VERY BRIEF stint as a Dish Network installer - the first thing we did on a trouble call was reset the box and then do a check switch, and then go from there. 7 out of 10 times this would fix it. If not, it usually got retarded and then you spend 4 hours fixing it and only making 20 bucks.
What a crappy job.
So maybe they are all a lot alike.
-phil

Boomer you might not have enough skew available, if you're using an analog box to move dish/control skew. If everything else is coming in ok your tracking may be off a bit. SBS6 is now Gal 17 , new sat and its got plenty of power. Have somebody pull up and down a little bit on your dish when you are on ONN next time and see if it makes it worse or better.

Phil--they're all that way I believe, anything with a microprocessor is apt to
go goofy sometimes..

Boomer you might not have enough skew available, if you're using an analog box to move dish/control skew. If everything else is coming in ok your tracking may be off a bit. SBS6 is now Gal 17 , new sat and its got plenty of power. Have somebody pull up and down a little bit on your dish when you are on ONN next time and see if it makes it worse or better.

Phil--they're all that way I believe, anything with a microprocessor is apt to
go goofy sometimes..

turbo, thanks for your reply. Not sure what you mean by enough skew available. I have vertical set on -45 skew and horiz. on + 45 skew. I can make adjustments to that and often I must. It does help. I am using an analog box to move and control skew. I do know about the change to Gal 17 but, thanks for pointing that out in case I didn't.

I can maybe try and go out and push on the dish. I think I might be able to see the TV through the window. I'd really love to pull this satellite in strong.

Turbosat good news for me. I went out and pushed on the dish(even though it's the nastiest day. sleeting rain, I had to use an ice scraper on the house window so I could see the tv but, whatever ya gotta do to get your satellite :D) and the signal improved dramatically. I busted out my wrenches and now on ONN I have a Quality of 74-75. I did find the bolt in the middle of the actuator a bit loose also so, I tightened that up. I'll have to play now and see if I've made a permanent improvement or not.

I notice my actuator in the middle pivot point kind of flops around on that I guess you would call it a bearing. Maybe it's getting weak. Not sure if that matters. I may go ask around in the bud forum.

At any rate I want to thank you for your help. I'll keep ya posted on whether it holds or not.

Good deal, if you dropped the elevation a bit, it may mess you up on the other end of the arc, sometimes a small amount like 1/4 of a turn on the elev bolt won't hurt. Normally though, you fix that by rotating the entire mount on the pole, but its hard to do that tiny rotation without doing too much. Maybe that fix will handle it.

Good deal, if you dropped the elevation a bit, it may mess you up on the other end of the arc, sometimes a small amount like 1/4 of a turn on the elev bolt won't hurt. Normally though, you fix that by rotating the entire mount on the pole, but its hard to do that tiny rotation without doing too much. Maybe that fix will handle it.

Yeah you might be right. It looks like my signal on G10R has dropped. I'm only showing about 25-30 there. Looks like it's gonna need more adjusting. It's hard to be sure though because the wind is blowing the dish around. I can see it shaking. Does that weak pivot point in the middle of the Superjack have anything to do with dish stability? Seems like even though the dish moves around that point it should be fairly strong when the dish is stationary.

Yep it can, any place there's sloppiness the wind can usually wiggle. Things wear out...I'd wait until its not windy to tinker any more on it. Like I say, 1/4" turn on the elev can make worlds of difference to ku. Loosen up mount, twist east a tiny amount, like 1/8 or 1/4 put elevation back where it was, should fix you up.

Yep it can, any place there's sloppiness the wind can usually wiggle. Things wear out...I'd wait until its not windy to tinker any more on it. Like I say, 1/4" turn on the elev can make worlds of difference to ku. Loosen up mount, twist east a tiny amount, like 1/8 or 1/4 put elevation back where it was, should fix you up.

Yeah good idea. I took a picture of the bolt I adjusted. Had my gloves off like 30 seconds and my hands were froze. It's brutal. Not sure what this adjusment is. Declination, polar axis or what. What I had to do was loosen the top one and tighten the bottom one.

100_0442.jpg

I dont know about yours but my 8.5 has gone thru at least 5 hurricanes and hasnt needed
any tweaking.
so Im thinking the wind isnt really a factor if set up properly.
I just changed to a 10 ft so we'll see if it gets tossed around.
I doubt the ball joint is a problem unless its on a due south one,otherwise the load of dish will take the slack up.

Boomer I think that is the declination bolt. Elevation on most of the polar mounts is on the back side, but I could be wrong. If you had a picture of the other end of the polar mount I could tell.
Get declination off much and you will have problems tracking the arc lol. But hey, sometimes it is wrong also. Have to get the info for your latitude and calculate/set the angle with the angle-finder thing. MAybe when it warms some you can recheck all the settings.

Boomer I think that is the declination bolt. Elevation on most of the polar mounts is on the back side, but I could be wrong. If you had a picture of the other end of the polar mount I could tell.
Get declination off much and you will have problems tracking the arc lol. But hey, sometimes it is wrong also. Have to get the info for your latitude and calculate/set the angle with the angle-finder thing. MAybe when it warms some you can recheck all the settings.

Well I didn't move it all that much. That is the backside of the dish at the bottom. I did also take this pic.

dishmount.jpg

Taking this makes me realize it's looking shabby. I think when spring rolls around I may have to do a little sanding and painting

That long bolt or threaded rod right behind the motor in this last pic looks like the real elevation adjust, though I haven't seen that particular type of mount. That IS what it does though lol. Get all your angles wrote down, and find a cheap inclinometer at Ace if you dont have one already, and you can get that mount set down to proper specs.
Better start a new thread in c-band section we are miles off the thread now !!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts