Lost satellite signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While his interest in your service working as it should is important to him it is just as important that his stop by your house doesn't cost him more than he made while he was there. Your job has his name on it now. If problem reoccurs within 7 days and he doesn't have a chance to fix it personally it will cost him big. Days 8-90 it will still cost him, but less. Trust me......the $$$$ are his real motivation for getting it fixed. Sounds like he threw just about everything he had against it, except a new line to that spot. An ohmeter used to test impedence of that stretch of cable might reveal the cause.

This was an actual Directv tech in a Directv van this time, not the sub contractor that came the first time, if that makes any difference. Everything tested fine with the ohmeter but there was still a problem. If anything goes wrong, I have his number, call him and he'll come back out.

He replaced everything going from the dish to inside, new switch, power inserter, lnb and fittings. He said if it happens again, it may be my cable. At least I have his number. I mentioned SatelliteGuys and he said he visits the site. Would like to say that John with Directv, is very knowledgeable, professional and does a great job.

...which is why it is dumb to take the lazy way out and use existing cable for a new install, because its integrity is always questionable.

Closing a box on the cable didn't sound like the problem to me, from back at that post, and as was mentioned, he came back.
Sounds to me like he's at a loss if he changed EVERYTHING.
Unfortunately, if it doesn't happen again, you and he won't know what the problem was.

While his interest in your service working as it should is important to him it is just as important that his stop by your house doesn't cost him more than he made while he was there. Your job has his name on it now. If problem reoccurs within 7 days and he doesn't have a chance to fix it personally it will cost him big. Days 8-90 it will still cost him, but less. Trust me......the $$$$ are his real motivation for getting it fixed. Sounds like he threw just about everything he had against it, except a new line to that spot. An ohmeter used to test impedence of that stretch of cable might reveal the cause.

7 days does not cost us anything through our HSP except for us rolling back out to fix it (free of charge).
8-90 days is a $25 charge back which is what I would make on a service call.

Luckily my HSP usually only send their guys on service calls as they know a good portion of the time the subs can not afford to fix them.
Many techs will do what they can to fix them and still delete the work orders as they are just charge backs and escalations waiting to happen.

A will guess that the tech that replaced so much was in house and didn't have to pay for materials.

We also get NC Rollbacks within 7 days on installs or upgs...I was referring to a Service on Service call or Service in 7-i.e, customer calls DTV back within 7 days asking for service within 7 days of a previous service call. Service calls locally are handled by Mastec in-house service team, although a while back we had to help them out 'cuz we were told there were so many. I didn't like them but there is no better way to learn than by having to trouble shoot a failed system. Wire was the only thing it cost us to do them, maybe a ground block. We tended to throw the book at them in hopes that we would get lucky and replace the bad part, the scattergun approach. With 3 service calls and 2 or 3 installs to do each day you hardly had time to replace a switch or a ground block and wait around to see if it was going to cure the prob or chance that you are going to have to go back or risk a serv. on serv. chargeback. Not enough hrs in the day. How do you know if you fixed it when just resetting the receivers would make it work for 2 or 3 hrs? We are not auto mechanics--getting paid hourly to troubleshoot. Throw parts at it and get the flock out of there with your fingers crossed. No other option. Picture this "Sir, I'm going to hang a round for a couple hrs to see if its fixed even though it will cost me big bucks with the On Time Guarantee money I will be charged for being 3 hrs late to my next install" It ain't happening.

I agree which is why often techs will delete service calls.
They attempt to fix the issue with a quick 30 minute fix and then get out.

Sad to say that sometimes it is better to just not get paid at all then have it come back on you.

Well, I've started losing signal again. It doesn't say its a cabling problem this time and comes back on after a few seconds. But this is how it started the previous time. Guess I'll hope for the best and give the tech a call on Monday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)