Lost signal from all three Sats

You mean DISH doesn't have backup generators? You know I am amazed at how many major facilities that should have back up generators dont. I think even sirius has generators, because they didn't go out during the 2003 blackout.

I sure did get totally lost in the Seinfeld episode! I was watching from the DVR unaware of the loss of signal, and a very large chunk of the episode was missing, and it was one I hadn't seen before. Maybe I'll catch the whole episode some day.

I don't think it's a question of power loss, the storm blocked the uplink signal from reaching the satellite.

Even those big uplink dishes? Must've been quite a storm. We've had severe wx move over Cablevision's array in Bethpage and I didn't see any signal loss.
The only time I remember signal loss due to a storm was when a severe storm moved over Music Choice's uplink (in PA I think) and we lost all Music Choice channels for about 30 mins.
I guess storms affect uplink more than downlink I guess.

Unusual but no big deal, same thing that happened the other day. Switched to my locals on 110 spot-beam and everything was back in less than 20 min. Been with Dish for 8 years and can't remember this happening more than a couple of times before, twice in one week is really bucking the odds. Shame on you for not controlling the weather Dish! ;)

NightRyder

Even those big uplink dishes? Must've been quite a storm. We've had severe wx move over Cablevision's array in Bethpage and I didn't see any signal loss.
The only time I remember signal loss due to a storm was when a severe storm moved over Music Choice's uplink (in PA I think) and we lost all Music Choice channels for about 30 mins.
I guess storms affect uplink more than downlink I guess.

The uplink frequency for DBS is a lot different than the CBand downlink frequencies.

Its my understanding that the two major uplink facilities are in Cheyenne and Gilbert. What I dont understand is why dish doesnt have a third major uplink that runs as a backup for these two, in an event of a major disaster, weather or terrorist act. I know that they have regional uplinks, like the uplink in monee il, wich is near my house. They are primarly used for local channel uplinks as it costs alot cheeper to run fiber to a reginal uplink than acrost country. Now what I dont understand is why dish couldnt run extra fiber from the providers to these regional uplinks for backup. Each uplink should have atleast three big dishes pointed to 110,119 and a wing slot. If something like this was to happen in the future all dish would have to do is flip a switch on the affected channels from the regional uplink and bam the country is back in service. :)

Well, I'm not sure what's going on, but I sure would like to see some type of official statement from Dish. This is getting rediculous. This is happening to me on a daily basis. Try explainin this to the wife. We just got new equipment, and it doesn't work as advertised. Yeah, she's not happy, so neither am I. :eek:

Its my understanding that the two major uplink facilities are in Cheyenne and Gilbert. What I dont understand is why dish doesnt have a third major uplink that runs as a backup for these two, in an event of a major disaster, weather or terrorist act. I know that they have regional uplinks, like the uplink in monee il, wich is near my house. They are primarly used for local channel uplinks as it costs alot cheeper to run fiber to a reginal uplink than acrost country. Now what I dont understand is why dish couldnt run extra fiber from the providers to these regional uplinks for backup. Each uplink should have atleast three big dishes pointed to 110,119 and a wing slot. If something like this was to happen in the future all dish would have to do is flip a switch on the affected channels from the regional uplink and bam the country is back in service. :)

They may have to come up with a backup plan after what's happened in the last few days. Yeah, it's mother nature but this is not acceptable.

Illinois, lost 119 8/22/07 about 10:30pm cst.. and 6.15 shortly after.
Got them back in under 30-mins. after 2 check switches and a hard reset.

It looks like the storms will be rolling across Cheyenne again starting around 6 PM MDT today (Aug 23). :(

Don't worry, be happy! :D

Anybody up for a pool to see who is closest to what minute it goes out. :rolleyes:
If so, I'll take 6:13.

Wonder what the traffic graphic for the web site looked like when it went down? I know I was here within about 5 minutes of it going down, and there was 3 pages here already.

Do you all believe it it is related to the weather. Why is it that not all people lose the signal at the same time?
And why would the check switch Test fails if the problem is due to the uplink in Cheyenne.
Is this one of dish update that is screwing people up?
Just seems odd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts