Luken KU feeds to end on 1/31

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Are the 137W feeds gone now? I tried but couldn't pick them up last night, though the Hockey channel and some others were working ok. Could be some trees are starting to block my 137 LOS again, have to go eyeball it today.

Are the 137W feeds gone now? I tried but couldn't pick them up last night, though the Hockey channel and some others were working ok. Could be some trees are starting to block my 137 LOS again, have to go eyeball it today.

I haven't actually checked 137W but have read that 87W C-band is the only feed left now.

137W Feeds went down at exactly 11.00pm CST Jan 31. I was watching cutlerycorner when it happened. I am going to miss that show.
I put the TV on sleep mode and it put me to sleep many a nights.

Gray1

http://images.google.com/search?q=disguised+satellite+dish

When that comes up hit “Images” for a gold mine of ideas.. :D

Edit: This is cool !!

[video]http://www.satellitedish.com/dishcamo.wmv[/video]

http://www.dishcamo.com/dishcamo.htm

And this,
Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 5.47.55 PM.png

The prices are outrageous! They better include a dish with that!
Thing is, look how they did it and get someone with a sewing machine to make one for you.

Last edited:
Thanks Dee, that's what I was looking for. And yes the prices are from outer space! But to do that on a sewing machine would possibly command a price like that lol.

N5XZS !
I would go buy a backyard picnic table, one of those round ones, that just happened to need a 3.5" support pipe in the middle (to hold up the canopy/shade). They can't forbid those, can they?

Maybe it might just be easier to license some microwave frequencies, rent space on top of the crest and I can microwave him some c-band signals! ;)

it's not impossible for the remaining c-band feeds to become encrypted or even go away,
on Heartland Tv's facebook with the change from TNN people had asked if that would help them get on directv/dish or come to a tv market where it is not currently carried on a station faster they said yes,
if they do seek carriage on at least dish or direct or both they will encrypt the network feeds,
a tv station owner on another forum has provided details about lukens ip feed for their networks,
here is the information on yahoo's lptv forum http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lptv/conversations/messages/28047
the bankruptcy court has approved what has occurred so far,
if they are providing equipment to receive ip feeds,
they can possibly encrypt and provide the equipment to decode those network feeds,
since changes have been allowed to be made as far as signal delivery with even providing some equipment is seems they will exit bankruptcy at some point

Luken maintain a 10Gbps connection?? LMAO!!!!!!

Right.....

Luken's streaming provider can - if it's akamai or whatever that has streaming servers and 10Gbps of bandwidth available for delivering individual streams to each affiliate.

What I don't get is why not just put show and advertisements H264 video files on servers at each tv station and automate the playout, unless it's too expensive in hardware to do that or its less bandwidth to just stream livetime RTN, TUFF, pbj, etc. to all the affiliates.

Can't wait to see what my local station does. They carry pbj, tuff, and family tv in the same off-air signal. Don't know if they have the budget to install pricey higher speed internet service to give them at least 15mbps for the three feeds or if they will dump most or all the luken feeds and grab some religious broadcasters or other services like antenna tv or movies! from satellite where you don't need to have higher speed pricey internet service.

Can't wait to see what my local station does. They carry pbj, tuff, and family tv in the same off-air signal. Don't know if they have the budget to install pricey higher speed internet service to give them at least 15mbps for the three feeds or if they will dump most or all the luken feeds and grab some religious broadcasters or other services like antenna tv or movies! from satellite where you don't need to have higher speed pricey internet service.

The C-Band feeds on 87W are not going away. Since your local carries familytv they have c-band access already

a tv station owner on another forum has provided details about lukens ip feed for their networks,
here is the information on yahoo's lptv forum http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lptv/conversations/messages/28047

to which the same owner posted on facebook that they are dropping that
We are getting Retro thru a IP feed, its only temporary, uses too much bandwidth that we don't have. And Yes we have 4, C-band dishes, 2- 3.8 meter and a 3 meter, and a 2.4 meter spare one, and 3 Ku,1.2 meter dishes, one aimed a AMC -9 where Luken use to be.

The C-Band feeds on 87W are not going away. Since your local carries familytv they have c-band access already

wow! A rarity. Luken's financial problems combined with yanking 2 of their 3 sat feeds combined with news about IP streaming which usually signals a video service is looking to drop their satellite feed made me ASSume that 87W was going to be a goner once they got their affiliates converted to the IP stream.

happy for my local station, disappointed in that it might have been an excuse for the local station to join antenna tv had that local station decided against getting at least 15mbps internet service to IP stream their luken-delivered stations.

wow! A rarity. Luken's financial problems combined with yanking 2 of their 3 sat feeds combined with news about IP streaming which usually signals a video service is looking to drop their satellite feed made me ASSume that 87W was going to be a goner once they got their affiliates converted to the IP stream.

BINGO........

Over the years that’s been the M.O. of many a dying service. Shut down the expensive satellites and switch to IP. Then when IP is too expensive to maintain, lights out.

I’ve seen several of them do exactly this, some of them promising to return to satellite once finances spring back from the grave. NOT ONE EVER HAS..

I’ll wager that the cost of maintaining a very high speed internet system, plus the cost of buying all the IP receiver boxes that would be sent to the stations, would be just as expensive as the satellite system, if not more.

Next up, goodbye SES2... If they are still transmitting on any satellite at all come the end of 2014 I’ll be utterly amazed.

I DO WISH that Luken will salvage the business and keep it going. I HOPE they can keep the satellite feeds going.

In my opinion, I think he’s letting it all die on the vine so he can do a big write off.

I don’t see it surviving. I wish that it would but I just don’t see that happening.

The writing is on the wall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)