Mac OS X User Thread

Intuit killed their in-house Mac developers years ago. They new they created a problem when the Mac starting taking off again. Unfortunately, they chose not to higher in-house developers and decided to contract it out. Last I knew about this was three years ago, so they may have changed it again, but based on the fact that they still haven't moved the code base would imply to me that they are still using contractors

Folks... any idea why one of my files is showing up in the upper-left hand corner of Finder?

See:

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-18%20at%209.34.25%20PM.png

Running LION. I noticed this first last week. Have no idea why that link is showing up there. If I click on it, it opens the file.

Thoughts?

NEVER Mind. Apparently I managed to put a shortcut for a file into the Finder's Toolbar. How? I have no idea. But By using View/Customize Toolbar, I was able to drag it out of it. Strange.

Do any of you Mac OS X users use antivirus? If so what do you use? My wife and I are about to replace both of our PCs with Macs and was curious. We both use Avast! antivirus for our Windows PCs.

Do any of you Mac OS X users use antivirus? If so what do you use? My wife and I are about to replace both of our PCs with Macs and was curious. We both use Avast! antivirus for our Windows PCs.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac, professional grade anti-virus, totally free in the home edition. Occasionally picks up some malware, but since viruses are practically non-existent, it is a security measure, but not anything essential like on a PC. Definitely not worth spending money on when you can get Sophos for free.

I used to use McAfee for Mac, but found it was a bit more of a resource hog, and I dumped it. But since it is not compatible with OSX Lion, it is a non-issue right now.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac, professional grade anti-virus, totally free in the home edition. Occasionally picks up some malware, but since viruses are practically non-existent, it is a security measure, but not anything essential like on a PC.
I run Sophos on the Mac Mini, but it has never detected anything. Must be all of the those, er, *cough*, "Academic" sites you visit...

:D

Seriously, though, one of the reasons I put the Mac Mini in the common area was my son's surfing habits. The Windows PC had been bit by the Fake Anti-Virus more than once, and Windows Defender had deleted various Trojans since it was installed. One the Mac, my son's account is non-Admin and is also using Parental Controls which limits him to the sites he can go. I allowed Facebook and Yahoo so he can be social and check up on his Sports. I wonder how much that blocks malware?

I run Sophos on the Mac Mini, but it has never detected anything. Must be all of the those, er, *cough*, "Academic" sites you visit...

:D

Seriously, though, one of the reasons I put the Mac Mini in the common area was my son's surfing habits. The Windows PC had been bit by the Fake Anti-Virus more than once, and Windows Defender had deleted various Trojans since it was installed. One the Mac, my son's account is non-Admin and is also using Parental Controls which limits him to the sites he can go. I allowed Facebook and Yahoo so he can be social and check up on his Sports. I wonder how much that blocks malware?

Funny. BUT all it seems to detect is malware/phishing in junk email. At least that is all I have ever seen it do. But it runs quietly in the background, and I never notice it.

Just ordered 2 new Mac Minis to replace my wife's 5 year old Dell that's about to bite the dust, and to replace my power hungry heater of a PC.

Damn Spotlight indexing. My machine was asleep, I brought it to the office, turned it on, and hooked up external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the thing was totally unresponsive. Might as well as have been a BSOD. Had to reboot it with the power button TWICE. Even then it was very unresponsive. I just let it go for 10 minutes; and eventually it came back to life. I noticed in my mini-usage app (a memory monitor) that mdsworker was using 60% of resources. Sure enough, Spotlight was indexing the hard drive.

That program drives me nuts. Everything is fine now, but man, I was frustrated.

Does anyone know how to change the page layout in Word for Mac 2011 to have subsequent pages go vertically instead of horizontally? In Word 2010 for Windows it's vertical and I much prefer it that way.

Is there a way to turn that feature off?

There are ways to turn spotlight off, but that comes with a lot of lost functionality.

I don't dislike spotlight, I just hate when it starts indexing, it slows my machine down, and there is not really an easy way to tell when its going to happen.

Does anyone know how to change the page layout in Word for Mac 2011 to have subsequent pages go vertically instead of horizontally? In Word 2010 for Windows it's vertical and I much prefer it that way.

Are you talking the two page view? If so, yes, go to the zoom and select two pages.

That only works if I set it to either 200% or let it do 2X1 which is 33% and I can't read a thing on it.

Why oh why did Microsoft have to make a change that worked so well in Word 2010? I also miss right click and having several paste options like paste and keep formatting, paste with formatting, etc.

That only works if I set it to either 200% or let it do 2X1 which is 33% and I can't read a thing on it.

Why oh why did Microsoft have to make a change that worked so well in Word 2010? I also miss right click and having several paste options like paste and keep formatting, paste with formatting, etc.

Word 2010 for Windows and Word 2011 for Mac are TWO DIFFERENT programs. Just gotta get used to it. I rarely write in Word anymore. I use Nisus Pro Writer 2. Love it.

What weather program do you guys recommend for Mas OS X 10.7?

Weather program? Didn't know there were "programs" - I just use websites. Oh, I have a couple dashboard widgets from the Weather Channel, but don't really use them. I guess there are apps for weather, but never thought about it.

I use WeatherDock on 10.6.8. No radar, but good current and forecast info from the menubar.

The OSX Lion update for iCloud is out.... 888MB download, and even on the normally stellar bandwidth we have at work, it says it will take 2 hours to download.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts