Mac OS X User Thread

I'm looking forward to the update but I also have 4 1/2 pages more to type on my literary review for my final paper of Managerial IT for my graduate degree that I have to get done tonight.

Can't wait to see how my Mac and new iPhone 4S interact.

I checked yesterday and had nothing and like Rocky, I have 2 updates, the Lion Recovery Update and the one of OSX. (888 MB)

Getting good speed here, it downloaded the first 400 meg file in less then 3 minutes.

For those who use both Macs and PCs, which is your primary?

Primary for myself and my wife would be the 2 Mac Minis we recently switched to. Our only active PC now is our laptop.

I checked yesterday and had nothing and like Rocky, I have 2 updates, the Lion Recovery Update and the one of OSX. (888 MB)Getting good speed here, it downloaded the first 400 meg file in less then 3 minutes.
I must've gotten the Lion Recovery Update some other time as it doesn't show up for me, only the OSX one.I upgraded my Lion and my iPad, moved to iCloud and all it took was about an hour. Pretty smooth.

For those who use both Macs and PCs, which is your primary?Primary for myself and my wife would be the 2 Mac Minis we recently switched to. Our only active PC now is our laptop.
For me it is my iMac. GF and son use a Mac Mini. And I have or will have a Windows laptop that will see light use. I also have a Dell Hybrid that I use for an HTPC that sees fairly light use also.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I checked yesterday and had nothing and like Rocky, I have 2 updates, the Lion Recovery Update and the one of OSX. (888 MB)

Getting good speed here, it downloaded the first 400 meg file in less then 3 minutes.

I came home and it downloaded it in a matter of minutes. Campus was crawling, It has just installed and is rebooting now. Staring at a grey apple and a spinning circle as it boots for the first time. :).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

well, it is installed, but when I click iCloud in System preferences I get a spinning wheel... nada

EDIT -- it was just REALLY REALY slow. Logging into iCloud now. Me, and a million other folks I guess.

Well my Mac OS X update says it's 784.5 MB. iTunes 60.9 MB and a Lion Recovery Update.

I like this; I started the update on my wife's Mac Mini after mine and hers is almost done, yet mine is set to take 9-10 hours.

Last edited:
Since I have crap for speed AT&T DSL (Downloading? Sorry, Loser!) I'm looking at 6 or 7 hours for the Mac Mini downstairs and 3 hours for my Apple TV. I haven't even attempted getting my iPhone upgraded to iOS 5.

I do have a dilemma, though. iCloud requires Lion 10.7.2 and I have been holding off bringing my Mac Pro to Lion as the "elegant kludge" that enables my Mac Pro to advertise its printers to my iOS devices does not work under Lion. I may need to look for a older Core Solo or Duo iMac or Mac Mini to run Snow Leopard and act as a printer server so I can bring the Pro up to date.

But old Mac Minis are hard to come by. They make great little server boxes and people don't want to give them up.

My wife's Mac Mini with Lion didn't have one bit of a problem sharing her printer so that mine could see it. This was in contrast to when both of us had PCs with Windows 7. I would always have to restart the print spooler on her machine for mine to finish printing.

I guess I should have explained that I'm talking about AirPrint support from my iPhone 4. The HP color laser I bought last year came one model before HP updated the firmware to support e-Print. I need to run this hack to allow printing.

I guess I should say "needed". My iPhone doesn't see my Mac Pro's printers any more. I may need to spend money to fix... :(

How can I get Firefox (or Safari for that matter) to open up a PDF in a new tab versus making me download it first? I've tried plugins to no avail. I do have Adobe Reader installed and it's set as the default app for PDFs. It's preference is checked under Internet to allow PDFs to open in the browser.

Have you tried 'Firefox PDF Plugin for Mac OS X'? It works on Snow Leopard and Firefox version 3.6. Don't know about Lion and the later versions of Firefox.

It struck me tonight that my Mac Book pro is one hell of a work horse. I am running the 2011 edition dual core i7 model with 8GB of ram. And I was in Mission Control, and noticed that I currently am running:

Chrome (7 tabs open)
3 instances of Adobe Acrobat Pro X
DevonThink Pro Office
SPSS Statistics
Microsoft Excel
iTunes
Sparrow (email)
Finder
Ulysses (text editor)
Nisus Pro 2 (word processor)

I have 442M free, and 2326M inactive; and the machine is purring along at 4.7% CPU usage. This thing is a beast.

I have often run similar setups on W7, but never without rebooting in a day or two, and this machine runs for a week or longer.

I just got a mac a few weeks ago and while I love it there are a few things I wish it did better... A lot of problems I am told are Lion based but maybe some of you have workarounds or solutions:
- Safari randomly crashes when zooming in or out (I have to do a force quit to get it back on)
- Apps sometimes remain open even after pressing Command + Q to close them (sometimes I only find out they are running when I look at my dock)
- Mail application fails to connect to mail server on my personal site despite my phone and webmail apps both working fine
- Rainbow circle of death A LOT when browsing the internet using Safari or Firefox

I also hated the fact that Final Cut Pro crashed and had hidden 64gb of unfinished video hidden in a temp folder that I couldn't find without a secondary app to find out why I was out of hard drive space on a 3 day old macbook.

I just got a mac a few weeks ago and while I love it there are a few things I wish it did better... A lot of problems I am told are Lion based but maybe some of you have workarounds or solutions:
- Safari randomly crashes when zooming in or out (I have to do a force quit to get it back on)
- Apps sometimes remain open even after pressing Command + Q to close them (sometimes I only find out they are running when I look at my dock)
- Mail application fails to connect to mail server on my personal site despite my phone and webmail apps both working fine
- Rainbow circle of death A LOT when browsing the internet using Safari or Firefox

I also hated the fact that Final Cut Pro crashed and had hidden 64gb of unfinished video hidden in a temp folder that I couldn't find without a secondary app to find out why I was out of hard drive space on a 3 day old macbook.

How are you zooming in Safari, with gestures?

How much ram does your machine have?

Don't have Final Cut Pro, so can't help there, but I don't have any issues with Safari, don't use it much though. I use Chrome for a browser, with Safari as my backup.

I am thinking there is a setting you need to tweak for your mail settings, but hard to say. I like the Safari Mail.app, but actually use Sparrow.app It is a wonderful mail program. Very fast, supports gmail almost natively - complete with labels, and works well with my work IMAP settings.

If you just got your machine, I would call Apple Care and ask them for help. There must be something funky, and they have the diagnostic tools that could probably help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts