Major malfunctions with my folks S9, need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My Dad's S9 is freezing up again... :mad:

He said it runs about an hour then the picture freezes but the sound continues playing. He can still bring up the menus and attempt a channel change.
When he changes channels he said the video will play for like barely one second, only enough frames to notice motion then it freezes almost instantly.

I've seen that on mine, but I think it started with a recent firmware version. Which one is he running?

Since it's not too usable that way, you might want to take a chance and try another version. There was just one released at the beginning of this month. http://www.wydvb.com/UploadFiles/HDS2_OPENBOX S9(20111202).rar

MicroHD.... Even with the manufacturing delay, February isn't too far away!

I'm assuming you are talking about a new brand of tuner.. I'll sift the site and see what I can learn about it. Dad, is mad..
Something has to give.

I've seen that on mine, but I think it started with a recent firmware version. Which one is he running?

Since it's not too usable that way, you might want to take a chance and try another version. There was just one released at the beginning of this month. http://www.wydvb.com/UploadFiles/HDS2_OPENBOX S9(20111202).rar

I put the version of firmware on it (and my S10) that was posted a few months ago, I think it was posted around August and there are a bunch of threads about that version being the SG approved version.

I have the same thing on my S10 and it's been running 24/7 for weeks.

I have noticed though that on some channels that are borderline, such as FSTV, if I leave it on there for a few days without checking, I will often times find it frozen up and unresponsive.
But I can leave it on a strong channel like MeTV for weeks without any problems.

Next week I need to go over there and see what I can figure out. I need to know if when it locks up, does the motor move the dish when he tries to change channels. That was the problem with the last one, the power supply would stop sending power to the motor and LNB. Is it doing the same thing on this new one? It is a replacement they sent, I marked the original one with a few secret marks in different spots to make sure they didn't try to pull a fast one and send back the same one. And that's barely been a month. I think it came in just after Mom passed away then sat for a week before I set it back up.. The past month seems like it was a million years.. This has been the longest month of my life.. :(

Anyway, I'll go over next week and see what more I can learn and maybe try this new firmware too. I've got to do something, my dad has no tolerance for malfunctioning machinery and since I am the one that suggested all this stuff to them, I'm in the middle of it all.. :(

Attachments

• version.png
    version.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 132
Dee, I was referring to SatelliteAV's upcoming new HD DVB-S2 PVR/receiver...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...w-geosatpro-microhd-receiver-coming-soon.html

Oh cool! Thank you! I will start watching this and see how it develops.
I'm quite disappointed with the Openbox stuff. For me, the clock/timer recording was a massive let down.
For my folks it was just a massive let down, period. They had trouble all along, had it replaced and now Dad is having trouble with the replacement and he's really peeved about it.

I'm going to replace his tuner out of my pocket with a different brand because I feel bad for putting him into the Openbox in the first place. :(

Well, I have an Openbox S9, and when it came out, for the money it was the best deal around. Nothing could come close to the S9 in the "Most Bang for your Buck" category. However, things change in a year. Now, with the promise of a MUCH better box for the same price, I would not buy another Openbox. Last Christmas when I purchased mine, however, it was a very good deal considering what was out there and the relatively small amount of money involved. Maybe the best FTA deal ever at that time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts