bradley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Source: http://www.nypost.com/business/42387.htm

MALONE TESTS A FAMILY'S TIES (NYPost) 03.13.05
New York Post
By HILARY KRAMER

March 13, 2005 -- (NYPost) Media titan John Malone may spend as much as $5 billion to win back a spot among cable's power elite — if he can navigate the messy Cablevision breakup.

Malone was once the king of cable TV, but lost much of his power base after he sold his TCI cable empire to AT&T in 1999.

As a new Cablevision board member, he's now in the center of one the biggest transfers of cable assets and has a vote in who gets what.

He also faces the perils of doing a deal among a family widely involved — and often divided — in Cablevision's operations. But he's picked his side, choosing Chairman Chuck Dolan over Dolan's son, CEO Jim, in a bitter family feud over Cablevision's far-flung media empire.

The future, the elder Dolan believes, rests on high-definition TV providers like Cablevision's Voom.

He put up $10 million last week to keep the struggling Voom operating for another three weeks until other financing is secured so he can spin it off from from the parent company.

Industry watchers say a chunk of that financing will come from Malone, predicting that Malone and Dolan will team up for a joint venture to acquire Voom from the Cablevision stable. Sources say Dolan will likely borrow against his shares, and Malone, who's worth $2 billion, will tap his deep lines of credit.

Malone, a tech savvy cable pioneer who sees the same potential riches in Voom, is ready to invest billions, say industry sources.

Some investment bankers say Malone will pony up as much as $5 billion, depending on which Cablevision assets he would pick.

The dealmaking comes as patriarch Chuck Dolan packed his board a week ago with pals including Malone and media titans Frank Biondi and Leonard Tow.

Bankers say Malone, whose trademark is creating intricate financial vehicles for his wheeling and dealing, is quietly hatching plans to create a similar vehicles for Cablevision assets.

One scenario in discussion, say bankers, is that Malone would wind up with about 40 percent of the new Voom.

Dolan, with his own financing and help from Malone, would take Voom private and then create one of Malone's trademark financial vehicles to run the company.

One banker said, "The alternative plan is that Malone makes an investment in Voom and then Voom buys the national cable networks from Cablevision."

The remaining Cablevision assets would be public and include three million cable subscribers, Madison Square Garden and Radio City Entertainment.

The plan not only allows Malone to put a stake in the burgeoning HDTV market and grow his own TV channel empire, it also gives him the opportunity to reemerge as a power player.

Malone once topped Entertainment Weekly's list of the most influential people in entertainment and was dubbed "Darth Vader of Cable" for his aggressive reign.

And in the last few months, he's beginning to flex his muscles again. In addition to his new power role on the Cablevision board, he's also taken increased stakes in News Corp. (News Corp. is the parent of The Post.)

Malone's Liberty Media holding company has significant stakes in Interactive Corp. and Time Warner.

But his overall interests lie in HDTV and Cablevision's content say bankers close to the situation.

Cablevision's programming through channels such as American Movie Classics, WE: Women's Entertainment and IFC will also help supplement the other TV holdings under Malone's Liberty Media.

"It is logical to think that John Malone's interest is in content rather than in the cable company," said UBS cable and satellite analyst Aryeh Bourkoff.

"The vision for Voom is high definition but it my be related more to content. The impression we have of Voom is that it is a money losing bad business, but with Malone and Biondi involved it may be a content play and not just an HD distribution business."

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM
are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc. Copyright 2005 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

salsadancer7 said:
WHOA!!! THAT is major!! And extremely positively awesome info!!! Another sign that the glass is half full instead of half empty!!!
I wholeheartedly agree!! :D

Let the games, begin...with the real players...!! Cheers to all! Vicki :D :D :D @party

This one certainly needs to be a sticky. :) :D Hope at least some of it is true.

This is great news. Deep pockets are needed to fund VOOM for the next 2-3 years Like the song says: "These sre the best of Times" :D :yes

white knights,with deep pockets--how voom can-will-survive..Bit remember these visioaries are NOT spending millions to be a #3 DBS service..there is SOMETHING else that Voom will become,besides the HD leader

Vooms Future???????

What will VOOM be??with todays article(see other thread)on Malone and his Deep pockets.What will become of VOOM,surely these guys are not going to put millions-billions -into a #3 DBS provider even if it were #2 there has to be more--so i thought what..i came up with this--
I have thought what can it be-well with some of the guys (new board members)background,(hollywood,universal pictures)i know this has been tried for years.what IF,what IF Voom morphs into the home provider and a MOVIE THEATER Provider...beam the films in HD -repeat HD!!!to theaters all day,at differnt times(showings) no prints,BILLIONS in savings.to hollywood.HMMMMMMMMMMMMM thoughts????

Currently fiber is being used for some theatre HD - PTP, and I can’t see Voom making this part its business plan.

A commendable insight into Malone, the man.

I'd like to see Voom remain private, not to go public; once it is truly released out of the confines of CVC. Mind you, given Chuck's financing of the continued operation, it's doubtable the board has much input at this point.

I for one, have been personally impressed with the candor and aggressiveness the NY-Post has exhibited investigating Voom and CVC; turning heads, keeping all informed. Yet another befitting story.

This might be a little off topic and if it's to off topic someone please delete this post:

edited:
If this article is correct, this will be the second board member to put his own personal money into the VOOM project.

Any thoughts?

i made my speculation as a sounding board--to think what will voom become,because as much as i love voom you have to be crazy to throw millions-billions at a DBS service with HD just as it is or X10 larger capacity.If Voom survivies it will start as it is now but become more down the road,so i asked for ideas from others.."there is a method to dolan's +malone's madness" and it isnt JUST a DBS to home sat system with 500 channels--so again what do you all think it will be???

i made my speculation as a sounding board--to think what will voom become,because as much as i love voom you have to be crazy to throw millions-billions at a DBS service with HD just as it is or X10 larger capacity.If Voom survivies it will start as it is now but become more down the road,so i asked for ideas from others.."there is a method to dolan's +malone's madness" and it isnt JUST a DBS to home sat system with 500 channels--so again what do you all think it will be???and i do not mean on April 1 2005,but april 2007?????

Danielle, consider the source... we all know better, newbies may not. The inference implied and projected by NOT taking the bait should be enough for those who may wonder as to the validity of the statements and questions posed. In other words, biting one's tongue is a good exercise in self discipline while avoiding being drawn into fire. And yes, I know it's quite difficult at times to resist the temptation.

rang1995 said:
so again what do you all think it will be???

how about they not only do hdtv but, high speed wireless have a card that plugs into your lapto and get 10mb/s downloads anywhere you are. they could also build a tuner into the card so you could watch tv on your laptop just as if you were home. or like someone else said about movies, how about if you subscribe to voom they have deals with all major motion picture studios that you would get the movie in hd before the hd-dvd or blu ray disc comes out.

just some of my ideas what i would like to see

Great News!!! One area of concern is still the satellite bandwidth, any people here know how they can secure ample amounts of sat bandwidth without being at the mercy of Ergan? They don't seem to have the delivery mechanism anymore.

This is all based on speculation of the article and ours but if this article is true. This is a big IF this whole thing can open up a can of worns about Ergan/Voom/FCC. I think it is too early to say much on the matter. It won't matter if VOOM does not secure funding to continue. But if they do, there are all kinds of scenarios that can happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)