Malone Voices Skepticism About Voom's Chances

also remember Malone had to shut down Encore HD,so i guess he is sour on HD for now..i sure hope we continue but ,where i felt 85% sure before now i am no better then 50-50--IF Malone was quoted accurately

Youch

Out of all the positive and negative things I've heard and read...this one has by far the most impact on me. Me thinks it over.....should I take Cable up on their cheap offer to come back? :no

I thought the more interesting idea from Swann's article was:

"Cablevision has already spent more than $1 billion on Voom. It's hard to envision that Dolan and even the incredibly wealthy Malone could spend more than that. And, even if they did, why would the results be any different? As Cablevision's chairman, Dolan has already been, in effect, the head of the satellite service. Voom won't suddenly generate more subscribers just because he starts a new company to run it."

HD_Eric said:
Out of all the positive and negative things I've heard and read...this one has by far the most impact on me. Me thinks it over.....should I take Cable up on their cheap offer to come back? :no
Your kidding right, after all the other stuff you have heard over the past month you are hanging your it up on this one... :shocked

riffjim4069 said:
That's a pretty decent thing of you to say Mr. Stone Man. I must say that I am going completely mental and I am most certainly ready to jam on my triangle this evening. :D
I'll get you the meaning of the authorization code when I get home from work. I printed the DSR550 technical manual and there is a table of all the different meanings.

I'm right there with you on the mental thing. The fact that we have no facts is messed up. Malone says 'I wouldn't do it with my money' tells me a lot. And if Mr. Dolan is flying out to Denver to try to squeeze Charles Ergen into some sort of deal, that indicates that D* might be out of the picture, but nobody really knows. In the meantime, we sit here and wait for a clue as to what is going on. It isn't very much fun.

patrickpiteo said:
Your kidding right, after all the other stuff you have heard over the past month you are hanging your it up on this one... :shocked

Sometimes when you are close to the edge of the cliff, it only takes just a little more to push you over.

Probably the best business decision would be for Dolan to sell VOOM programming to E*. The programming would be less expensive than VOOM, and you would still get all the SD channels that E* has to offer.

Imagine....America's top 180 with 35 HD channels for $64.99/month.

Sales are gonna skyrocket.

And you know dam well that Dolan is going to make a good chunk of change on the deal, with some residual.

AxE said:
Probably the best business decision would be for Dolan to sell VOOM programming to E*. The programming would be less expensive than VOOM, and you would still get all the SD channels that E* has to offer.

Imagine....America's top 180 with 35 HD channels for $64.99/month.

Sales are gonna skyrocket.

And you know dam well that Dolan is going to make a good chunk of change on the deal, with some residual.

I guess you haven't heard Charlie talk, "no compelling HD out there". Out of the sudden, the HD 21 becomes compelling. :eek:

Just got this e-mail from VOOM.

Bulletin from VOOM Corporate to all OSC VOOM Dealers
March 14, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

Last week, your store should have received a VOOM merchandising kit, complete with a new Counter Unit, new TV Toppers & Statics and new Brochures.

In addition to those elements, you may have also received some tear-pads with rebate order forms (see below).

Please discard or destroy all enclosed Rebate Order Pads, and merchandising kits immediately.
Please note - these Rebate Order Pads were included in your kit accidentally.
Rebate requests from your store's customers will not be processed.

We wholeheartedly apologize for the confusion and inconvenience. If you have further questions or need assistance, please visit our exclusive web site for retail partners at http://partner.voom.com, or call VOOM Sales Support at 1-800-677-1441 Monday - Friday from 10am - 8pm EST. We can also be reached via e-mail at salessupport@voom.com.

Thanks!

Your Friends at VOOM

Hmmmmmm...........

AxE said:
Just got this e-mail from VOOM.

Bulletin from VOOM Corporate to all OSC VOOM Dealers
March 14, 2005

Last week, your store should have received a VOOM merchandising kit, complete with a new Counter Unit, new TV Toppers & Statics and new Brochures.

In addition to those elements, you may have also received some tear-pads with rebate order forms (see below).

Please discard or destroy all enclosed Rebate Order Pads, and merchandising kits immediately.
Please note - these Rebate Order Pads were included in your kit accidentally.
Rebate requests from your store's customers will not be processed.

You're a retailer....what does that mean to you?

The Stone Man said:
And if Mr. Dolan is flying out to Denver to try to squeeze Charles Ergen into some sort of deal, that indicates that D* might be out of the picture, but nobody really knows.

D* has been out of the picture for a while:

From Newsday: (Dec 22)
“…Dolan has made efforts to persuade media baron Rupert Murdoch to become a partner with the Dolans in Voom, but has had little success. Murdoch's News Corp. has a 34 percent stake of DirecTV, which has 13.5 million satellite subscribers.”

Isn't it funny that the same people who are just waiting for the doom's day are the same ones that are saying let's have charlie bring those HD channels to E*. It makes you go like... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... The worst part of all is these are the same that have said that those HD channels are not compelling or that Dish or DirecTv have everything that VOOM offered.

Here's a simple way of living in both sides of the equation --- if it's in your best interest.

LOL.....Sounds like there are some skeptiks within V* as well and are waiting until the end of the month to see where the company is going before they try any new promos.

Sean Mota said:
Isn't it funny that the same people who are just waiting for the doom's day are the same ones that are saying let's have charlie bring those HD channels to E*. It makes you go like... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... The worst part of all is these are the same that have said that those HD channels are not compelling or that Dish or DirecTv have everything that VOOM offered.

Here's a simple way of living in both sides of the equation --- if it's in your best interest.
Hey, if E* could compress those 21 VOOM originals into one or two HDNET type channels, that would be "compelling". Hmmmmmmmmm, competition for Mark Cuban? Then if E* wanted to offer the full package for an extra fee, I'm sure some people would pay for it.

Sean Mota said:

Here's a simple of living in both sides of the equation --- if it's in your best interest.

First of all Sean....We are not waiting for VOOM's doom's day, we are waiting to see where the future lies and giving insight on what is going on in our world and what we are hearing.

Second of all....I never said or claimed that Dish or Direct had everything that VOOM offered.

We're gonna have a test later.

AxE said:
First of all Sean....We are not waiting for VOOM's doom's day, we are waiting to see where the future lies and giving insight on what is going on in our world and what we are hearing.

Second of all....I never said or claimed that Dish or Direct had everything that VOOM offered.

We're gonna have a test later.

I must be dreaming when I reading your posts:

Well all that aside from a retailer......VOOM go bye bye.

All I have to say is that without VOOM's own HD channels, all they would be is just another broadcast company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)