Manhattan RS-1933 DiSEqC Use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drloverb

Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Lafayette LA
Hi,

I've been away from this forum for a while but have a question that I haven't been able to resolve elsewhere. Has anybody else been having trouble getting their RS-1933 to recognize a DiSEqC 1.0 in a config with another receiver, both served by C and Ku splitters with pointing, polarity and skew controlled by a Drake 1824 and a Motorola 4DTV sidecar? My Manhattan works fine when I bypass the DiSEqC switch and feed in the C or Ku coax separately. I've worked with the guys from Manhattan, who have troubleshot the components and connections of my config. I've tried the 2.6, 3.4 and 3.9 versions of the firmware. Is this a problem that only I have or are there others with the same difficulty?

Thanks.

I have a Diseqc switch on my Manhattan to combine a fixed dish and a feed from the motorized. Works fine
The Coolsat 5000 moves the dish but the 2nd feed from the LNB goes into a 2x1 diseqc. The feed from the fixed dish goes into the other port and hooks to the Manhattan

Good to know, Iceberg. Thanks.

Altho I have only C and Ku from a single motorized BUD I bought pairs of 4X1 DiSEqCs and splitters for possible upgrades. In that way I have one unused port on my splitters and 2 open on the DiSEqCs. Mike Kohl suggested that I'd be safest with Ports 1 and 2 on the DiSEqC switches. I tried that but no improvement. He also had me test for leakage on both splitters. No sign of that from the non-power passing ports. Do you think I should be using 2X1 for the DiSEqC?

I've used both 2x1 switches and 4x1 (with 2 empty ports) and both worked the same.

I assume you are powering off the Manhattan with the switch on the back when adding/removing switches?

Absolutely! Both receivers, including putting the 4DTV on standby. I've tested all the switches using my AZ, with flying colors. Even done swap-outs between the two. Same result. AZ good, Manhattan bad.

Mike Kohl just suggested that it could be the 4DTV 905 sidecar, that it might not be as functional for this purpose as the 922. By dividing the pointing from the polarity/skew between the Drake and the Motorola I'm making things too complicated. He also suggested a different kind of splitter/switch device. My config has worked fine for all my other pairs of DVB boxes. I'd like a second opinion here. Thanks.

I have a no name mini s2 box that uses FW like the Manhattan FW and it has a problem kind of like yours. It only sees port one on a 4X1 diseqc. I have changed all my F connectors and ran new RG6 cable, tried three new 4X1 diseqc switches, the last one being a Emp Centauri. Yes, I always unplug the power to the stb before unhooking the coax or changing the diseqc out. Don't have a motor, so don't know if it will run a motor or not. I can use a short piece of RG6 plus a 4X1 diseqc in the house next to the receiver and still can't measure 14 or 18 volts on any port except port one when changing from vertical to horz. transponders. If I meter the voltage directly out of the stb, it is correct for V&H on each sat that I receive. I know that a bad diseqc will fail to port one when it goes bad. All my diseqc switches work fine with my CS6000. My box uses a 3601s SOC with a AV2011 tuner whereas the manhattan RS 1933 uses a 3602 SOC and I don't know what tuner, but the FW looks the same as mine. I think it is a FW issue, just my opinion for what its worth. I have read other places where some people were having problems like this with the manhattan and the openbox as well. I think some of the openbox's had a voltage regulator problem. Any who, just my similar experience.

Thanks, squid. I get the impression that there is some problem with the Manhattan that is not being adequately represented to the consumer. Other questions go unanswered, such as the local time setting. I regard the RS-1933 as a beta product. A very good one, but still flawed in critical ways. This is where the users can provide motivation to the designers.

If you depend upon the receiver clock to set a timed recording, be aware that the clock’s accuracy depends upon the receiver being tuned to a live signal with a time reference, or you can also manually set the time. Please note that some channels from outside of North America use their local time reference, so check the display on the menu screen. Setting the clock manually can be done by going into Menu to SYSTEM SETUP. Press Right arrow to highlight in gold, and the Down arrow to reach Local Time Setting. Press OK. Cursor down so that GMT USAGE is highlighted. Move left or right until this is changed to USER DEFINE.
Cursor Down to GMT OFFSET and then Left to reach your time zone. Turn Summer Time ON if observed.
Exit out of all menus and Save. Turn power OFF to test the clock setting.

(From MANHATTAN-DIGITAL website as well as GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS website, under
TECHNICAL TIPS & TRICKS)

T

RS-1933 firmware version 3.9 was mentioned by the OP. I do not find this on the Manhattan site. Does this really exist and is it available?

Thanks --

Paul

Folks,

This is real embarrassing but I'll tell the story immediately so that it might help others who have my symptoms with the Manhattan receiver. A post on a different site today was what turned the corner for me. It was very reasonable, that the reports of DiSEqC difficulties might be due to different receiver sensitivities to flaws in one's general config. I have exactly what he drew in his diagram, except expanded for a pair of DVB receivers and my 4DTV is a 905 sidecar rather than his 922. General config wasn't the problem for me but it made me look over everything else very carefully.

The error: I had connected the coax from the DiSEqC to the SAT OUT port rather than the SAT IN.

I'm used to seeing the input post as the most available on the back. Either the closest to the edge or the upper of the two. For the RS-1933 the SAT IN is second from the edge. I didn't inspect the two closely when I made my connections, again and again.

The odd part is that the separate C and Ku coaxes worked pretty well with this error. This might explain why I was also getting signal in a few oddball TPs in my scans. But the unit wouldn't recognize any of my DiSEqC switches.

I apologize for the confusion I might have caused. I try to be rigorous in these things but one wrong assumption did me in. I've copied my story to the other site and written Jeff S and Mike K separately. Hopefully if the word gets around others won't make my mistake.

Thanks to you all for working with me on this matter.

Folks,

This is real embarrassing but I'll tell the story immediately so that it might help others who have my symptoms with the Manhattan receiver. A post on a different site today was what turned the corner for me. It was very reasonable, that the reports of DiSEqC difficulties might be due to different receiver sensitivities to flaws in one's general config. I have exactly what he drew in his diagram, except expanded for a pair of DVB receivers and my 4DTV is a 905 sidecar rather than his 922. General config wasn't the problem for me but it made me look over everything else very carefully.

The error: I had connected the coax from the DiSEqC to the SAT OUT port rather than the SAT IN.

I'm used to seeing the input post as the most available on the back. Either the closest to the edge or the upper of the two. For the RS-1933 the SAT IN is second from the edge. I didn't inspect the two closely when I made my connections, again and again.

The odd part is that the separate C and Ku coaxes worked pretty well with this error. This might explain why I was also getting signal in a few oddball TPs in my scans. But the unit wouldn't recognize any of my DiSEqC switches.

I apologize for the confusion I might have caused. I try to be rigorous in these things but one wrong assumption did me in. I've copied my story to the other site and written Jeff S and Mike K separately. Hopefully if the word gets around others won't make my mistake.

Thanks to you all for working with me on this matter.
Don't be too embarrassed. I've done it more than a couple times. :)
Makes for good troubleshooting experience ...

Hey Mike just tried your tip to program the time, I selected gmt 500 for Montreal, and user define but it's still one hour off. with the summer thing on, with it off it's two hours behind.

That's bizarre...but perhaps you're not getting an accurate time readout thru the satellite datastream...try switching one and two time zones east or west to see if it makes a corresponding switch in the correct direction. Whatever works to match your local time..
then store it until we fight with the change to daylight time in a month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)