Mastec background check

Status
Please reply by conversation.

khoi32

Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
I just got offer a job with mastec as an satellite installer. I haven't got my start date yet. Just curious how may years back does mastec goes, when they do the back ground check. Reason I ask , I did got introuble with the law about 13years ago.

Thanks

I just got offer a job with mastec as an satellite installer. I haven't got my start date yet. Just curious how may years back does mastec goes, when they do the back ground check. Reason I ask , I did got introuble with the law about 13years ago.

Thanks

My experience with that company= if you are breathing you are in. Report back how it goes.

As a generalization you do not have to disclose events already dealt with by the courts.
Use this as an opportunity to test the system. IF something from thirteen years ago does come up you can go to the court and ask to have your record expunged (cleared) because you have reformed yourself and the record is keeping you from employment.

Ask yourself if you still or ever did have problems getting along with others. The work you are about to begin has a technical side with the tools and parts. The harder part
is the stress you will find yourself subjected to. Customers will want one thing and the company will want another thing. It will be frustrating most days. Can you keep your head down and learn the job?

This could be an opportunity for you if you learn everything they have to offer.

Good luck,

Joe

Most back ground checks only go back 5 years. I too just got an offer from Mastec. Have you heard anything negative about them?

Patchmaster,

I have never heard anything good about them. I have had no good experiences with them. Do a Google search under MASTEC Advanced Technology. Go to the DTV installation site and search back.

For now they have all the work from DTV in your area. Their problems are management related. They are not out to get you from day one. Many of the people who work there are ok. Just evaluate every day and see what you think.

You could pick up some good trade experience.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe Diamond , so you think I am in.

Thanks

Khoi,

The good news and the bad news is yes, I thing they will at least continue to interview you and probably offer a job. I think you want to understand the difference between an employee and a contractor. If you think of yourself as an independent business your relationship to other companies is very different from that of an employee to an employer.

I would suggest keeping a log or notes. Ask for an employee manual. Keep your own work record, Keep a record of any serial numbered equipment you touch or install.
Watch for ways you are asked to work without pay..........thank you for arriving but we have to move starting time back today.................your time starts when you arrive on the job...........stuff like that.

Keep your head down and your eyes open, If nothing else, it is easier to find a job while you have one.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Well I got the job and a start date March 15.
But after spending hours on the internet reading all the post
about Mastec and Satellite installer. I think I'm going to turn it down.
$10hrs on OJT. Then piece work after that anything over 40hrs you
working for free. I would like to thanks everyone for giving me great
information on this company.

Hello everyone. Well I got the job and a start date March 15.
But after spending hours on the internet reading all the post
about Mastec and Satellite installer. I think I'm going to turn it down.
$10hrs on OJT. Then piece work after that anything over 40hrs you
working for free. I would like to thanks everyone for giving me great
information on this company.

Khoi,

Good luck. One pissed off tech like me, or any one post on a form is not anything but hearsay. When you see the same complaints and experiences all over the country for many many years , THAT is a clue.

Jobs are hard to find but working for free is not the answer.

Joe

They really only pay you $10/hour up to 40 hours, then $0/hour? Wow. I thought they were getting far more.

to anyone who cares

:)i have read quite a few bad blogs about mastec and the way they handle things and about people wanting to know if they work for them and them changing their mind after them reading these blogs. now i am not standing up for mastec, but i work out of the dallas texas office with is the biggest office in the country, although they do have their downfalls which every company does they are actually a decent company to work for. how many people can say the have a job where they pretty much have the freedom to do what ever they like while on company time, make good money, drive a company vehicle, on there dime(with the exception of the $40 a week they charge you to take it home), a cell phone, good benifits, constantly updating you on your training. "they do pay overtime... they have to". now if you are a big family person and like to be home everyday at 5 then its probably not for you. but then again its all about the money right... the more you do the more you make... now i have rambeled long enough, if anyone has any questions fell free to ask :)

:)i have read quite a few bad blogs about mastec and the way they handle things and about people wanting to know if they work for them and them changing their mind after them reading these blogs. now i am not standing up for mastec, but i work out of the dallas texas office with is the biggest office in the country, although they do have their downfalls which every company does they are actually a decent company to work for. how many people can say the have a job where they pretty much have the freedom to do what ever they like while on company time, make good money, drive a company vehicle, on there dime(with the exception of the $40 a week they charge you to take it home), a cell phone, good benifits, constantly updating you on your training. "they do pay overtime... they have to". now if you are a big family person and like to be home everyday at 5 then its probably not for you. but then again its all about the money right... the more you do the more you make... now i have rambeled long enough, if anyone has any questions fell free to ask :)

im thinking about moving to florida and joining the mastec company im currently working fork another hsp and want to find out how much they pay for intalls upgrades and service call.

Of everything you said the "good benefits" is interesting. Does that mean hospitalization for you and your family? That is big! The ten dollars an hour is disappointing.

Hang in there, gain skills and look around.

Joe

I am on my last week of OJT and then I'll be on my own. The pay is $10/hr for OJT then you go to Apprentice pay rate which is $30 for 1 dish/1 receiver and $9.80 for each additional receiver. The rate for a Reg Tech is $36 for 1dish/1 receiver and 11.30 for each additional receiver. And it is $45 for 1d/1r and 12.50 for each additional reciever. Of course there can be additonal charges for custom work,relocate dish/receiver,etc.......

The guy that is training me said that he made $50,000 last year and missed 5 months for shoulder surgery and that his brother made $65,000. They are in-house techs and they are fast and very professional so I believe them after seeing their speed and work. But they have been doing it for 3 years and 10 years respectively. I have a way to go before I reach those guys efficiencies but maybe it won't take to long.

As for as I can tell the company seems to be a pretty decent company to work for and all of the bad things that I have read on the internet are just not panning out. Maybe they use to be bad but I believe if that is the case then they have turned things around for the better. Then again it could just come down to the office that you are working out of. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention that service calls are $20 for Appr Tech, $22 for Reg Tech and $27 for Lead Tech.

Forgot to mention that service calls are $20 for Appr Tech, $22 for Reg Tech and $27 for Lead Tech.

All this is interesting to me!

My experience was that th service calls were often double booked, the routing was impossible and you spent a lot of time on hold, communicating with a call center in India.
Equipment would just vanish from inventory and the only way to track it was with a personal log........no proof where the box went and it could cost you.

The thought of doing that stuff as piecework with them never entered my mind.

Then, my experience was with a wannabe subcontractor who was probably getting the questionable work so the in-house guys could run up a good score.

Keep in touch............all this is different from the MASTEC we know and love.
Your checks...they clear the bank and are correct? Whoda thunk it!

Joe

Everything is going to the handhelds so all you have to do is scan the receiver's bar codes if you do a swap. If the numbers don't match it won't lete you close the job.You can get all of your work for the day from the RIO and acknowledge your work, put yourself in route, put yourself on site, and close jobs,among many other things, all with the handheld.

Basically the only time you have to talk to someone is when you activate/deactivate a receiver or have to change a work order then all you have to do is call your supervisor
The only small problem I see is if you are out in the middle of nowhere and can't get a internet connection. But still all you have to do is let the supervisor know what's up.

Sorry but I call bull on anyone that says they made 50k in that short of time installing dbs and getting that low of rates, if anyones making that kind of money in 7 months then they arent doing anything to code.

If you want to get more info about mastec then it would be a good idea to go to the installer forum here instead of asking the regular non installer members of the site.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/installer-zone/

hey satcomdata

Thank you for the response. I just have a few more questions.
How long is "on job training", apprentice,regular tech, lead tech? And also how much do you get paid for HD jobs? What kind of a work week are they calling for 5-6-7 days?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts