Matt Stafford named Lions Starting QB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My take is this...

Awful move by the Lions. Unfortunately, I've had first hand experience in seeing my team ruin many young QB's by forcing them in the game before they had a decent supporting cast and offensive line to work with (cough, Tim Couch, cough).

Grooming a rookie QB to become an NFL Pro takes time and patience. You never want to throw the boy to the wolves too soon. Without an adequate supporting cast, this kid has the potential to become gun shy in the pocket and develop too many bad habits. If I were the Lions, I'd build the line up better and let your future investment sit on the bench for a year and study the pro game. The difference between Pro ball and College is huge, especially the speed of the game. I think Stafford would have a much greater chance in succeeding in this league if he sat a year and let the game come to him.

No way Stafford will lose the job..They made that clear today..He said this is not an experiment, and he will not have to look over his shoulder if he makes mistakes..This team is not going to win much with Culpepper, or Stafford, so let him play and get his experience. From what I can see, his confidence will not be broken..

I suspect, Culpepper will be some nice trade bait..Maybe to a contender who needs a back up???

First off, that's something (trading Chilipepper), I would hope even the Lion's aren't stupid enough to do. Wow, did I just say that out loud?

Second, if he couldn't beat out Stafford, what is his worth? Redpepper didn't make any mistakes in preseason, but he didn't score either.

Third, maybe this is just desperation to put asses in the seats this year?

Fourth, why not start him? Nothing teaches faster than experience. He's getting the big bucks, so show me what you got.

Fifth, we're going to get the hell beat out of us no matter who's QBing.

From some of the news articles im seeing, the Lions locker room is pretty somber, there wasn't a feeling that Culpepper had really beat him out.

The reason you don't start him is because now that he's started, you don't sit him back down. Things usually don't turn out well if/when that happens.

My take is this...

Awful move by the Lions. Unfortunately, I've had first hand experience in seeing my team ruin many young QB's by forcing them in the game before they had a decent supporting cast and offensive line to work with (cough, Tim Couch, cough).

Grooming a rookie QB to become an NFL Pro takes time and patience. You never want to throw the boy to the wolves too soon. Without an adequate supporting cast, this kid has the potential to become gun shy in the pocket and develop too many bad habits. If I were the Lions, I'd build the line up better and let your future investment sit on the bench for a year and study the pro game. The difference between Pro ball and College is huge, especially the speed of the game. I think Stafford would have a much greater chance in succeeding in this league if he sat a year and let the game come to him.

What about Manning and Aikman? They took their lumps. You can either do this or you can't. If he can't, might as well find out sooner rather than later. I suspect Stafford can, it's the rest of the team that can't. What are we going to save him for? A better supporting cast? We've been REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

From some of the news articles im seeing, the Lions locker room is pretty somber, there wasn't a feeling that Culpepper had really beat him out.

The reason you don't start him is because now that he's started, you don't sit him back down. Things usually don't turn out well if/when that happens.

The Eagles benched McNabb. Like I said , you either can do this or you can't. You ain't learning nothing holding the clipboard. You draft them, you give them huge bonuses, and you put them out there to play.

Anyone want to predict what will happen when Stafford throws his first ever NFL pass?

Matt Ryan's went for a touchdown; what'll happen with Matt?

IMHO, this move was a no brainer. You start Stafford and he does well, great.

If he does bad, well then you have a vet sitting behind him to come in the game. Otherwise you would have an unproven rookie coming into the game.

Or Drew Stanton...

Give him a go, what's the worst that could happen, you lose every game, oh wait.....

Stafford's first pass, a long pass to Calvin Johnson that is barely broken up and very dramatic. Then he comes back the next series and catches a short out route and takes it to the house. Just shooting from the hip here, nothing more.

Anyone want to predict what will happen when Stafford throws his first ever NFL pass?

Matt Ryan's went for a touchdown; what'll happen with Matt?

Well, Stafford's first pass of the preseason was an interception. I don't know what his first pass in the regular season will be, but I say he's in for a TOUGH game against New Orleans.

Stafford does have a tremendous weapon in Calvin Johnson. The gameplan should be to just throw the ball in the general direction of MegaTron and let him go get it. The dude's a freak. He's the best thing the Lions got going for him and they should make the most of his abilities.

Last edited:
You guys do know the nature of Culpepper's injury don't you? He has turf toe. Now here's the funny part - (being he's a Lion, there's always a funny part) - he did it on his own carpeting in his living room! 8 stitches to close the cut. You can't make this sh*t up!

Is this the guy we want QBing? He would have been hurt again within 3 games anyhow. Probably a hangnail or something to that effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)