Maxtor ontrack (DDO) problem

torp74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
South Texas
Hi all,

Need some help with a older PC. I had this box, an AMD 700mhz, 256mb, 160gb maxtor hd, running w2k. For whatever reason the maxtor installation disk installed this "Maxtor Ontrack" Dynamic Drive Overlay. Well I repartitioned the drive to install Mepis Linux, and now I am stuck with a 32gb hd instead of a 160gb hd. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance!

torp
:confused:

torp74,

Not knowing the age of your computer, my guess that the reason the drive overlay was used in the first place was because the computer's bios would not recognize a drive over 32 gig.

By repartitioning the drive in anything other than the drive overlay program, (if the bios is the issue) your computer will only recognize the drive as a 32 gig HD.

If the bios is the problem, you might want to check with the motherboard manufacturer about a bios update which hopefully will resolve the 32 gig limitation.

Once the motherboard recognizes the drive as a 160 gig unit, then you can partition and format the Windows partition(s) with the software from the drive manufacturer , without using the drive overlay. Then you should not have any problems with Windows 2000 or with Mepis.

Ok. Looks like my BIOS is ok, dated 7-00. It appears the 32gb limitation affects most of the BIOS's dated 11-98 and older. From what I can find on the Maxtor/Seagate website, it looks like the jumper that limits the drive size was preinstalled.

"Drive Jumpers: Applies to Mac and Window users. On drives that are larger than 32 GB there is a Capacity Limitation Jumper (CLJ), also known as the Limit Capacity Jumper or the Alternate Capacity (AC) Jumper setting. This jumper will limit the capacity of the drive to 32 GB and should only be used when the BIOS hangs when trying to auto-detect the drive. If you have two jumpers shunts on the drive you will need to remove the CLJ or AC jumper."

I will have to verify this when I get home. If thats the case then it looks like I shall just need to remove the jumper, have the BIOS rescan the drive, and repartition the now (hopefully) 160gb drive.

torp

I hope that it is only a jumper problem. But even after removing the jumper you may still have to run the Maxtor install disk to remove the drive overlay completely from the drive to have everything work properly. YMMV

Well it wasn't a jumper problem. I pulled the drive last night and the 32gb (clj) limit jumper was not installed. I guess the BIOS will have to be flashed. Can anyone give me the quick and dirty on how to flash it? The MB is an EPoX EP-8kta+. I D/L'd the update last night, but have no idea what to do with it now...

thanks in advance,

torp

I have found Winflash good for flashing from Windows (google it)

Download the updated BIOS for your motherboard form the manufactures site (ensure that you get the correct motherboard!!)
open winflash.exe and flash it;
I find this easier than doing it via a bootable floopy

techPowerUp! :: Download Winflash 2.0.0.2

Should be a link for winflash

Edit:I just re-read this thread do you have this dual boot with Win2000 now? if so it will work with Winflash; if not Disregard what I said... and go the bootable floppy route like P.Smith suggested

I have found Winflash good for flashing from Windows (google it)

Download the updated BIOS for your motherboard form the manufactures site (ensure that you get the correct motherboard!!)
open winflash.exe and flash it;
I find this easier than doing it via a bootable floopy

techPowerUp! :: Download Winflash 2.0.0.2

Should be a link for winflash

Edit:I just re-read this thread do you have this dual boot with Win2000 now? if so it will work with Winflash; if not Disregard what I said... and go the bootable floppy route like P.Smith suggested

Thanks but don't/won't use winblow$. The board is an antique. I am wasting my time trying to update the bios. I'm looking for a barebones sytem now. Will just bite the bullet and upgrade the works.

torp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)