Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

Forgot which media group did it, but didn't one have disputes with Dish, Direct on TWC this year. And didn't they tell the people in their dma's to drop the respective provider and switch each time.

Local Media General station replaced with WGN

So this is a new one on me in my experiences with contract disputes between Dish Network and local stations. I was going through my guide and noticed that my local Media General station, WSLS 10 in Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA has not only been completely removed from the guide, but it has been replaced by WGN. If I look at the guide just showing HD channels, the channel is completely missing. However, if I select "my channels", WGN America shows in the guide and displays it's programming. I've never seen this before in contract disputes. It surely doesn't bode well for what we know has been a contentious negotiation with little to no progress. Anyone seeing this elsewhere? Has this been done before in previous contract disputes?

Yep...WGN replaced WBTV-Charlotte (and presumably other Raycom stations) a month or so ago when DISH and Raycom had their squabble.

Yep...WGN replaced WBTV-Charlotte (and presumably other Raycom stations) a month or so ago when DISH and Raycom had their squabble.

To me, it's an interesting move by Dish. I would think they would want to keep that banner up explaining their side. This move seems to tell the customer that there is no effort to bring it back, that it's gone and that you're just gonna have to deal with it. For the most part I'm with Dish on these contract negotiations and taking a hard-line stance. I'm just not sure I understand the benefit of making this kind of move. But who am I?

This is not something new or out of the ordinary for DISH. They have replaced channels in dispute with other channels before. Did you miss the huge AMC thread as an example?

It's a benefit in theory to you, not DISH per se. If they can't give you your local they are picking another channel to give, it may or may not be of any value to you and may or may not be a channel you already get. Many have received a discount for awhile during a dispute, AND had the additional channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts