Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

I lost WKRG 5 CBS in Mobile/Pensacola due to Media General Dispute. I have an OTA module on my Hopper. Oddly, I have guide data for the OTA subchannels (5-2 and 5-3) but no guide date for the primary OTA channel, 5-1. The primary OTA channel 5-1 is just a mirror of the "Important News- Press Info!" being shown on Sat channel 005-00. So I can only set manual timers and they have no program info in the resulting recordings. At least I can receive and record CBS but, because there is no program info, I can't easily determine which recording is which. The DVR info just gives channel and date/time.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=zap2it

For me, personally this is a non issue.. I have DirecTV as a backup at my house. But for my Customers that have already started calling and threatening to shut off their service and switch, which will create charge backs, I say DISH please Don't take to long here at the start of the Fall TV Season and Football Season.. The loss of WKRG/CBS is going to be costly to me.

I said it a couple of weeks ago, because I live in Theodore. Let WKRG go with the Fall season and SEC Saturday games and see how that goes for you... The better hope they figure it out quickly and dont do something stupid with ESPN, or you will be getting a lot more calls.

Well, my CBS and CW channels are gone. I'm here at work and they show on the guide, but when I go to them I get the message that the channels are blocked. Luckily I don't watch anything on the channels. I never really realized it, but going over the list of shows I never watch anything on them for the most part. The only stuff that airs on the channels that I have my DVR set to record are the judge shows. Yeah, I know, guilty pleasure.

Now this doesn't mean I don't want this resolved. I am pissed that it has come to this if for no other reason than the principle of the thing.

How long do these disputes usually go on for?

EDIT:

I forgot about sports, I do watch CBS for that. That is the only big one for me.

Well, my CBS and CW channels are gone. I'm here at work and they show on the guide, but when I go to them I get the message that the channels are blocked. Luckily I don't watch anything on the channels. I never really realized it, but going over the list of shows I never watch anything on them for the most part. The only stuff that airs on the channels that I have my DVR set to record are the judge shows. Yeah, I know, guilty pleasure.

Now this doesn't mean I don't want this resolved. I am pissed that it has come to this if for no other reason than the principle of the thing.

How long do these disputes usually go on for?

EDIT:

I forgot about sports, I do watch CBS for that. That is the only big one for me.

Depends, some disputes last one week or more or even a month like the CBS blackout for rival TWC subscribers last August.

We lost our NBC station. My wife called just to see if they knew when it might be over. She was told they don't know but was offered a OTA adapter for $30. She called before talking to me. $30 huh. Trying to make a sale. Wow

Boss came in this morning all po'd, I had warned him last week. End result is I just got a $100 added to my account when he got online and ordered Directv and gave me a referral about 15 mins ago LOL.

They watch a lot of CBS programming and are not happy.

Boss came in this morning all po'd, I had warned him last week. End result is I just got a $100 added to my account when he got online and ordered Directv and gave me a referral about 15 mins ago LOL.

They watch a lot of CBS programming and are not happy.

and just watch, the channels will be back before he gets installed...... All this knee jerk just drives me crazy! :)

Where is DIRT. I do not see any of them logged into the forum. What's wrong, You guys and gals can't take the heat. You could at least get us our OTA guide data. TiVo has guide data and I am sure that they do not pay each station for it.

DIRT is logged in and online.

?They can't give you OTA Guide data, the Guide Data is copyrighted by the stations who refuse to let Tribune give DISH that information.

Media General Stations Removed from DISH

Where is DIRT. I do not see any of them logged into the forum. What's wrong, You guys and gals can't take the heat. You could at least get us our OTA guide data. TiVo has guide data and I am sure that they do not pay each station for it.

DIRT has nothing to do with channel negotiations. They don't have the power to bring back your channels. They have helped many of us here when there was no help from the standard outlets. Please keep your attitude away from them so they continue to feel welcome here.

and just watch, the channels will be back before he gets installed...... All this knee jerk just drives me crazy! :)

It's history. He has been a Dish sub for a long time, been out of any sort of contract for 4 years. I had been trying to get him on a Hopper. He was already pissed from AMC, and now this (plus his wife is pissed). Thats what Dish doesnt get. Sure Directv has issues, but lets face it, Dish is waaaay worse at this game. So instead of me getting him into a Hopper/Joey and new contract before the scroll started, he will now be a Directv sub. And as much as people here turn a blind eye, dont think he is the only one.

There is a trend between the two companies, and its easy to see. I was a Dish sub from 03-06, a Dish/Directv sub from 07-09, Dish/Directv sub from 09 to 12, then Dish only last 13 months. Keep in mind I moved 3 times in 4.5 years. So I have plenty of experience, and one provider offers less drama.

In reality, Dish needs to learn to repair relationships, keep it's costs in line and keep channels up. It fails at this, more so than Directv. And lets face it, they havent kept costs down and are not the low cost leader, so where does that have you? I get Im speaking to a brick wall on this side of the forum, but some of you are very jaded. I have no loyalty to either, I just want my tv.

Dish leads on hardware for sure, but I can tell you the HR44 is a leap from the HR34 and previous models, like going from a Hopper 2000 to a HWS in speed.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't care one way or another what provider other people have or for what reason they dropped Dish... lol.

Media General Stations Removed from DISH

Honestly I don't care one way or another what provider other people have or for what reason they dropped Dish... lol.

Exactly. People pay a lot of money for TV. They should be happy with their experience after paying for it. I totally understand people leaving over dropped channels or any thing that hurts their experience.

I don't work for Dish and I'm not a stock holder. Why would I get upset about people dropping them? That just seems silly.

Isn't it amazing the amount of "whine" that is consumed in this forum?

True. Dish is the bottler of more of the "whine" that is consumed.

Yeah. Boo hoo stupid customers aren't getting the channels they signed up for and pay for every month. Why would those babies complain about that?

Listen guys, I understand not wanting bills to go up. We pay for satellite TV for the purpose of watching the shows we like though. If you don't get to watch what you want what is the point of paying for TV? I can go OTA only and not get the shows I want for free.

Everyone who doesn't want increased bills is allowed to state that opinion. When people complain about losing channels they like they get jumped on around here though.

Yeah. Boo hoo stupid customers aren't getting the channels they signed up for and pay for every month. Why would those babies complain about that?

Listen guys, I understand not wanting bills to go up. We pay for satellite TV for the purpose of watching the shows we like though. If you don't get to watch what you want what is the point of paying for TV? I can go OTA only and not get the shows I want for free.

Everyone who doesn't want increased bills is allowed to state that opinion. When people complain about losing channels they like they get jumped on around here though.

I agree. There are a few around here that complain about these types of threads but their not adult enough to ignore them. If you don't like a thread stay out and ignore it. Some people need to grow up.

Installatin Guides / Rough Install questions

722K reliability??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts