Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

Losing our local cbs channel is not the end of the world. I did however talk to quite a few people today that are beyond upset.

1 lady told me she has been a dish customer for 28 yrs & if cbs wasn't put back she is switching, she griped non-stop for 10 minutes without a breath. Another told me Dish broke their contract by taking off cbs. :eek:

I do understand people being upset over losing a channel(s). My advice has been the same all day. "Sit back, take a breath & see what happens in a few days". Switching providers based on an emotional decision is bad for everybody.

I do feel that something needs to be done as far as involving the mass public in these scenarios. Especially when your only talking about a handful of big wigs who can't agree to disagree in private.

This whole fiasco reminds me of a couple of kids squabbling that need their butts welted & stood in a corner till they cool off.

28 years she said! roflmao!

Give em the dish loyalty number.;)

I have a feeling this one may last until Media General is officially taken over.

Losing our local cbs channel is not the end of the world. I did however talk to quite a few people today that are beyond upset.

1 lady told me she has been a dish customer for 28 yrs & if cbs wasn't put back she is switching, she griped non-stop for 10 minutes without a breath. Another told me Dish broke their contract by taking off cbs. :eek:

I do understand people being upset over losing a channel(s). My advice has been the same all day. "Sit back, take a breath & see what happens in a few days". Switching providers based on an emotional decision is bad for everybody.

I do feel that something needs to be done as far as involving the mass public in these scenarios. Especially when your only talking about a handful of big wigs who can't agree to disagree in private.

This whole fiasco reminds me of a couple of kids squabbling that need their butts welted & stood in a corner till they cool off.

Not sure how the woman has been a Dish customer for 28 years. :) I think some of these people are just bitter at life and use any excuse to whine and bitch. We see it all the time in our operations (not related to TV or satellite I might add). Most of them are also very uninformed and ignorant of the law and business contracts. Sad. As to parties not being able to agree, we have suppliers that try to gouge us all the time using one pretense or another. I just tell them to pound sand and find an alternate.

28 years she said! roflmao!

Give em the dish loyalty number.;)

I have a feeling this one may last until Media General is officially taken over.

I have to agree. Word is MG isn't budging & we already know Dish's fighting stance. :cool:

I am not effected by this outage but I had my defective vip622 replaced with a vip722k and they best they would do is pay for half, $25, and free shipping so you got a deal imb.

You should have waited till Disney gets dropped.:D

Yesterday morning MG wanted 4 times more than their current rate. Today it's only 3 times more. Progress? :rolleyes:

How come DISH can't beam another local that is nearby? In my case, I lost the BHAM, AL NBC, why couldn't DISH beam the Mongomery AL NBC affilate? Just till this is over?

How come DISH can't beam another local that is nearby? In my case, I lost the BHAM, AL NBC, why couldn't DISH beam the Mongomery AL NBC affilate? Just till this is over?

I believe there is a thread on this topic actually. I've asked that question before too but apparently they don't allow it.

We still have our NBC station out. We have a digital TV so I put a good ole set of rabbit ears on it and wow..... we have our NBC channel back!!! I got a get a digital one for our Hoppers. I just hate to have to pay $30 a pop to get it back on the Hopper.

The broadcasters have a very powerful voice in DC and thus the laws cover them. The public would be better served if the market place was free to respond as it saw fit. Thus a NBC station that wanted to hold out for a better contract would have to know that the NBC programming might come in from another source and they would have to chose to let that happen or agree to a contract. I can see why their OTA contract to cover an area should be protected, but if they don't provide a OTA signal and won't agree with a cable/satellite provider to rebroadcast the programming, the cable/satelite should be free to provide that programming for another source.

I'm just streaming the NBC shows I am missing on WNCN. Luckily there aren't many since NBC more or less sucks these days.

I'm just streaming the NBC shows I am missing on WNCN. Luckily there aren't many since NBC more or less sucks these days.

Well hello there neighbor. We are setting a manual timer for WNCN OTA for The Voice which is the only thing my wife watches on NBC that we wouldnt watch live. She is good with tuning in the OTA for the Today Show in the morning when she is up, but other then that, no issue except for missing Autohop on the Voice.... Its the little things.

Looks like they are owned by Media General,they own several other channels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_General Hopefully they will get it resolved,but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go dark for a spell either.We lost our local CBS for a few weeks (Raycom Media) this past summer.Fortunately there wasn't much on at the time,plus we get a good ota signal.

According to that link, my local CBS was formally owned by Media General, but is now owned by Morris Multimedia. It's WDEF in Chattanooga. They have also been in contract negotiations. They were supposed to go dark on the 1st if an agreement wasn't reached but they've agreed to an extension until 7pm Friday. Unfortunately I'll be at a local high school football game tomorrow night at 7pm so I won't know if it goes dark or not. If so I'll miss my Blue Bloods timer. I have an antenna hooked to my hopper. I wonder if I set an OTA timer for Blue Bloods if it will still record if they go dark? I know the OTA channel will still be there, but will the timer still fire without the guide data?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts