Mets sign Sheffield. . . WHY??????

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME; HEY WILPON AND MINAYA, IT'S THE NL, YOU DO NOT HAVE A DH POSITION:

Mets sign veteran slugger Sheffield | MLB.com: News

I'm lovin' this! More reason to just laugh at this mess in Queens. He will fit back in New York like a python on Times Square!!!

More evidence of the Baseball Gods pouring it back on Omar for the way he treated Willie!!! (Willie I see in now a 1B coach for Macha in Milwaukee. Good for him!):up

I really dont know how to react to this. On one hand, he could probably produce more than Tatis and/or Church if hes good enough and healthy. He wont play left field because of Daniel Murphy. On the other hand, if becomes unhappy, he'll be a pain in the ass!!! I have to play Switzerland on this one. Hopefully, he'll keep his mouth shut, dont have a pole up his ass and plays well.

I'm lovin' this! More reason to just laugh at this mess in Queens. He will fit back in New York like a python on Times Square!!!

More evidence of the Baseball Gods pouring it back on Omar for the way he treated Willie!!! (Willie I see in now a 1B coach for Macha in Milwaukee. Good for him!):up

I dont think Sheffield will cause a mess in Queens...yet. Like I said, if he just plays he'll do fine. Btw, how much more will the baseball Gods give to Omar? I mean, yes, the way they fired Willie was wrong and I agree that it was bad. All Omar did was fire the guy. I mean the Baseball Gods or whatever got there revenge when the Mets choked last year. Were supposed to suffer over one incident forever?

The Tigers are paying his salary.....he's a cheap insurance policy.

Late inning bat, occasional OF start....if he doesn't pan out you DFA him and it doesn't hurt you.

But yes, he seems more suited at this stage for the AL.

400k allows us to drop him quickly if he acts up, but I cannot see him being content batting 1-2 times a week in the 8th or 9th because we are behind or ahead

I dont think Sheffield will cause a mess in Queens...yet. Like I said, if he just plays he'll do fine. Btw, how much more will the baseball Gods give to Omar? I mean, yes, the way they fired Willie was wrong and I agree that it was bad. All Omar did was fire the guy. I mean the Baseball Gods or whatever got there revenge when the Mets choked last year. Were supposed to suffer over one incident forever?

Just still smug, smartass Omar is fired himself. Then justice will have been served and you can go on your merry, winning way!!!!:D

now its official . . . minaya and company plan on him starting in right and church being a bench player . . . wtf????????????????????????

Lets just wait and see with Sheffield. I wonder how this experiment will play out. If it gets really bad I dont think it will costs the Mets anything to get rid of him. There was also a rumor of maybe Sheffield was brought in and maybe Church or Tatis could be on there way out, for some starting pitching, perhaps?

Church is great and will recover Mets82; to me, its a slap in his face and he should demand a trade! Even Keith Hernandez shook his head all day/night at this stupid pick up . . . he could not even find the words to explain it!

the other thing is this: this preseason was about building team unity; shef is the opposite; for some reason, all the mets have bought into manuel's philosophy and now you bring him in . . . none of this makes sense!

I'm still confused that he went to a NL team.

His bat has slowed and he's been injured most of the last two seasons.
He didn't play in the outfield in Detroit because there were better options.
He didn't want to play 1B (prior to the Guillen/ Cabrera deal.) .
This one is a head scratcher. :confused:

Now he's gonna play LF / RT field and some 1B ?
I know he's always wanted to play the field, never really liked the DH, but come on, he's getting to the point, maybe he should retire if he insists on being in the outfield.
Maybe he will once he hits 500 ...

Jimbo

Sheffield is only the first of manny that will probably be leaving Detroit. Detroit has lost its season ticket base due to the Auto industry problems and can't afford to keep players.

Don't worry about Detroit. Besides, if they start winning, the fans will flock to the stadium, regardless of the economic situation. If Detroit has proven anything at all, it would be it's resilience and it's love for baseball. Ilitch has plenty of money to weather the downturn.

I'm still confused that he went to a NL team.

His bat has slowed and he's been injured most of the last two seasons.
He didn't play in the outfield in Detroit because there were better options.
He didn't want to play 1B (prior to the Guillen/ Cabrera deal.) .
This one is a head scratcher. :confused:

Now he's gonna play LF / RT field and some 1B ?
I know he's always wanted to play the field, never really liked the DH, but come on, he's getting to the point, maybe he should retire if he insists on being in the outfield.
Maybe he will once he hits 500 ...

Jimbo

I can't figure this one out either. He's not going to play everyday, can't field, and he hates 1st base. I don't see him being effective as a pinch hitter, he needs to play everyday in order to find his groove. I'm guessing this was the only offer he may have got, and/or like you said - get the 500th and retire.

Church is great and will recover Mets82; to me, its a slap in his face and he should demand a trade! Even Keith Hernandez shook his head all day/night at this stupid pick up . . . he could not even find the words to explain it!

This reminds me of when the Piston's traded for Allen Iverson this year. Both were historically bad club house guys. Both were past their prime, yet they both were instantly handed a starting spot while the former starters who've earned a spot were banished to the bench. Things didn't end well for AI and the Pistons. Hopefully the Mets won't suffer the same fate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)