Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I'm unable to get the Miami stations (4020H/28000) on SES-1.
Are they still FTA as listed in Lyngsat or have they become encrypted ?

John

Hi All,

I'm unable to get the Miami stations (4020H/28000) on SES-1.
Are they still FTA as listed in Lyngsat or have they become encrypted ?

are you getting signal lock at all? I think the signal is still there as I believe I saw it on my spectrum analyzer while driving by SES-1 to another sat last night, but I didn't stop to see if the parameters are the same or the status of the individual services within the signal.

skysurfer,

I can't get a signal lock on this mux.
All else on this satellite comes in strong.
Signal level-90, quality level-70.

John

I'm getting them on a 6 footer with an orthofeed and the MicroHD, but they are tough to keep locked, even with what I consider a high signal level.

Never have got it here either.

I can't get a signal lock on this mux.
All else on this satellite comes in strong.
Signal level-90, quality level-70.

that doesn't say much to say you have strong signal on other services on SES-1 C. The miami mux signal is DVB-S2, so in addition to good signal strength, you also need a clean signal (when you view it on a spectrum analyzer, the signature of the signal needs to be very clean - you can't have parts of signal from the other polarity or nearby sats intermingling with the miami mux signal).

DVB-S is more bulletproof to intermingling so you can have a cruddy looking signal on a spectrum analyzer and still get lock. DVB-S2 is not as forgiving to get signal lock.

skysurfer,

Thanks for the explanation on the sensitivity of the "s2" signal versus the "s" signal.
I didn't realize that one needed more than just a strong signal and good skew to catch some transponders.
Was hoping to be able to watch the Florida stations this winter, to mentally stay warm, while freezing my butt off here on the Cape.

John

skysurfer,

Thanks for the explanation on the sensitivity of the "s2" signal versus the "s" signal.
I didn't realize that one needed more than just a strong signal and good skew to catch some transponders.
Was hoping to be able to watch the Florida stations this winter, to mentally stay warm, while freezing my butt off here on the Cape.

John

Think of it as a challenge to get your system tuned up as much as possible. Fine tune the polar mount and feed, make sure perfectly level and tweaked etc, and perhaps you can get them. Even if you ultimately can't keep them locked, dialing it in better will be worth it as it'll help on other channels for the whole arc.

primestar31,

Will give it a go when I can. The Florida stations aren't a big priority right now, but would have been nice to watch.
Dish is 20 feet off the ground with the pole attached to the side of my house, then bolted to my pressure treated deck on a tripod base. At last check 2 weeks ago, the pole remained true.
Access to dish and its components is another thing and dependent on weather and my back conditions. :D
I had a much better back in 1999 when I first put this dish up.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)