GEOSATpro Micro Timer issues.

If you press the record button on the remote and there is a timer scheduled to run during the 2 hour default recording time, it will delete the scheduled timer.

I too had a lot of issues with timed recordings not working on the micro HD. Often shows did not record, but would still show up in the list for recording next week, or they would disappear from the list altogether. I finally figured out the two things I was doing wrong.

My first mistake was setting GMT usage to On. With it on, the micro HD sets it's clock to whatever time the channel you are tuned to is sending. Most of the channels on G19 have the correct time, but the mux at 12022 V is a bit ahead. It's actually the year 2036 on that mux. So when I surfed through those channels, all my carefully set timed recordings got deleted because 2012 was a long time ago. Then I surf past that mux to another one and my clock is correct again. But I didn't notice the clock was off for a bit or what it did to my list of timed recordings. Only much later would I discover they were gone, with no idea as to why. There are muxes on other satellites that are off a few hours to a few days, that may or may not affect your list of timed recordings. It just depends if your clock gets set past the time of the timed recording or not.

So having read here that I needed to set GMT usage to Off and set the time manually, I did that. But I was still having issues. Shows not recording, but still in the list for next week, or disappearing from the list all together. I finally figured out my second mistake. I always unplug the micro HD when I'm not using it. This is partly for lightning protection and partly from habit, having lived off grid for many years.

If the power has been unplugged for a period of time, (maybe a few minutes to a few days?) the time often comes up 6 hours in the future. So I'd plug in the micro HD a few hours early to record Red Green on Montana PBS (who, last time I checked, had a time that is 10 minutes fast) The clock comes up 6 hours ahead of the actual time. No problem I think, I'll just set the correct time. But those few seconds that the clock was 6 hours in the future, deletes my Red Green recording for that night. Not a happy camper.

I haven't had time to look into this further, but it seems that if you unplug the micro HD for a period of time, at power up, the clock can come up with a time in the future, even if you have GMT usage set to Off. Usually it comes up with the time when I unplugged it, but not always. I suspect that at bootup, it sometimes gets the time from the channel it is tuned to, even if GMT usage is set to Off. Not consistently, but I have definitely seen this.

So my solution for now is to set the correct time and then program in my timed records. And don't unplug the receiver until the recordings are done. I have had 100% success with this strategy.

I too had a lot of issues with timed recordings not working on the micro HD. Often shows did not record, but would still show up in the list for recording next week, or they would disappear from the list altogether. I finally figured out the two things I was doing wrong.

My first mistake was setting GMT usage to On. With it on, the micro HD sets it's clock to whatever time the channel you are tuned to is sending. Most of the channels on G19 have the correct time, but the mux at 12022 V is a bit ahead. It's actually the year 2036 on that mux. So when I surfed through those channels, all my carefully set timed recordings got deleted because 2012 was a long time ago. Then I surf past that mux to another one and my clock is correct again. But I didn't notice the clock was off for a bit or what it did to my list of timed recordings. Only much later would I discover they were gone, with no idea as to why. There are muxes on other satellites that are off a few hours to a few days, that may or may not affect your list of timed recordings. It just depends if your clock gets set past the time of the timed recording or not.

So having read here that I needed to set GMT usage to Off and set the time manually, I did that. But I was still having issues. Shows not recording, but still in the list for next week, or disappearing from the list all together. I finally figured out my second mistake. I always unplug the micro HD when I'm not using it. This is partly for lightning protection and partly from habit, having lived off grid for many years.

If the power has been unplugged for a period of time, (maybe a few minutes to a few days?) the time often comes up 6 hours in the future. So I'd plug in the micro HD a few hours early to record Red Green on Montana PBS (who, last time I checked, had a time that is 10 minutes fast) The clock comes up 6 hours ahead of the actual time. No problem I think, I'll just set the correct time. But those few seconds that the clock was 6 hours in the future, deletes my Red Green recording for that night. Not a happy camper.

I haven't had time to look into this further, but it seems that if you unplug the micro HD for a period of time, at power up, the clock can come up with a time in the future, even if you have GMT usage set to Off. Usually it comes up with the time when I unplugged it, but not always. I suspect that at bootup, it sometimes gets the time from the channel it is tuned to, even if GMT usage is set to Off. Not consistently, but I have definitely seen this.

So my solution for now is to set the correct time and then program in my timed records. And don't unplug the receiver until the recordings are done. I have had 100% success with this strategy.

HMmmmm... OK, I did take the timer / clock off of GMT -- week or so ago. I have reset the timers twice since then. I am off grid and I do lose power off the inverter, regularly -- as well as modified square wave output, so THAT might be a problem, but that scenario was discussed during the development stage, and I thought it was covered and was to be OK.

I will go back to the 12VDC battery line, and if I was reasonably sure it would correct the problem, I would invest in another deep cycle battery with a 3 diode charging system to keep that battery up. HOWEVER--- does anyone have any idea what the clock is synced to? if 60 Hz line frequency, I will be no better off. If a good crystal oscillator, it may work. What would it take to install a WWV radio clock chip in this? Could it be synced to my "atomic clock"? -- or even to the internet?

My Geosat Pro 1100c is working perfectly for recording, running on the inverter, now that it is in the cooler shed, but that defeats the lowest power usage attempt. I have two of these units, one was a comp unit for review, but so far I have not gotten 3 days in a row of use out of either, and I am still blaming this on my learning curve.

I did just invest in $650 + of new deep cycle batteries: 450 Amp/hours, 20 hour rate, hoping this would cure it, and for the inverter use, it has helped, greatly.

I think it's only sync'ed to the 60hz line frequency, unless you turn GMT on, in which case it syncs to the transponder that it's on.

But if it is sync'ed to the 60hz line, it sure doesn't do a good job of it. Like I've said, mine drifts a minimum of 1-2 minutes per day SLOW. Pretty bad for a dvr device. My electric clocks keep time, so my power frequency is not off. I have GMT turned off, so there's nothing else it could be syncing to.

Since the power in is 12VDC the line frequency is 0hz. Clock must operate independent of 60hz household power.

Yes, I agree. Plus, if it were queuing off grid frequency, the grid is much more stable than what some here experience for time drift.

A future firmware update will feature the option to sync GMT time from of a specific transponder or channel position like is currently available with other GEOSATpro receivers. This feature is available for both the hobbyist mode and the GloryStar mode.

This feature is unique to GEOSATpro STBs and no other receiver in the world offers this function. The feature has been tested, but relies on a few other firmware updates before implementation.

Yes, I agree. Plus, if it were queuing off grid frequency, the grid is much more stable than what some here experience for time drift.
I am sure this must be correct .... but really am wondering. Have it set for manual / local time.... or what ever it is called (too tired to remember) and it lost 20 minutes between 10:30 AM and 5 PM. Either that or my cell phone gained 20 minutes.

EDITING... Thanks Brian, for that update. We are also having family health problems, so stress level is very high. On verge of crying for 5 weeks now. Sorry my attitude is probably showing poorly.

primestar31 said:
I think it's only sync'ed to the 60hz line frequency, unless you turn GMT on, in which case it syncs to the transponder that it's on.

But if it is sync'ed to the 60hz line, it sure doesn't do a good job of it. Like I've said, mine drifts a minimum of 1-2 minutes per day SLOW. Pretty bad for a dvr device. My electric clocks keep time, so my power frequency is not off. I have GMT turned off, so there's nothing else it could be syncing to.

Well, that would be one crappy 12 volt power supply if it's synching to 60hz. Being that it's 12vdc, there shouldn't be 60hz anywhere to be found for the box to "synch" to.

I agree with the clock issue though. I'm experiencing the same drift of 1 to 2 minutes a day.

Misinformation.... The microHD does not sync to the AC power grid as the source of power is 12vdc. Physics 101: Direct Current does not have cycles, thus there is no ability to reference the cycles of alternating current.

The microHD local timing is an internal reference on the chipset. This cannot be adjusted in the firmware and we have a inquiry in with the chipset engineers to determine how local time setting can be refined.

In the major markets worlwide, GMT reference is typically not an issue. For example, in Europe, most satellite platforms are properly referencing GMT. Typical users are not tuning occasional usage transmissions that may not be properly referenced.

Improper uplink GMT reference is an issue that has plagued North American FTA viewers since day one. Due to either negligence or choice of encoders, the majority of transponders in North America do not correctly reference GMT. This is a major challenge for North American hobbyists as DVR / STB combined receivers become the norm.

The good news is that GEOSATpro has a unique method for overcoming this limitation without IP connectivity and successfully implemented in the past three GEOSATpro STB models. The microHD will ultimately benefit from implementing this feature, but for now it will have the current limitation of time setting that is present on other STBs in the NA FTA market. The microHD significantly has improved the time issues present in competitor STBs, but the final step will be to implement single transponder time updating.

Last edited:
rv1pop said:
I am sure this must be correct .... but really am wondering. Have it set for manual / local time.... or what ever it is called (too tired to remember) and it lost 20 minutes between 10:30 AM and 5 PM.

The power source was interrupted or a time setting function was cycled. A 20 minute loss of time in less than eight hours is impossible otherwise.

Sorry, my reference to 60Hz to sync came from a design in Radio News (or was it Radio and TV News by that time) about a "portable" radio pulling the background noise from high tension lines to sync the clock .... 1956 or so! Poor effort at humor of ancient technology.
I was serious about the 'atomic clock' chip. We got them for a Junior Achievement company project, years ago, for less than $1 each. I do not know what binary or hex output was available, as it included the digital display and offset was preset to PST (not even PDT).

The power source was interrupted or a time setting function was cycled. A 20 minute loss of time in less than eight hours is impossible otherwise.
Totally probable. All timers were zero last night after I posted.... I will try to build up an Isolated charger to run the microHD, with a 12 VDC battery. Have to build it so if the other batteries get low, it will not drain them further. I do have NiCads that should hold power for 10 minutes or so.

So much to do, so little time.... Since the 1100c is recording again, this project could wait. Maybe just try to get the microHD working in the motor homes with the newest firmware now.

I have been keeping a log of what time the clock in my microHD shows when I first plug it in. First I tuned to VBS on G19 and set GMT usage to On. This set my clock to the year 2036. I then set GMT usage to Off. (I did this just to make it obvious if the clock gets reset to 2012.)

Every time I plugged in the microHD to use it, the clock came up with the year 2036. Until tonight. When I plugged it in this evening, the clock was exactly on GMT. I checked the GMT usage setting and it was still set to Off. Since I program my timed recordings in local time (6 hours behind GMT) any recordings set to occur in the next 6 hours get erased.

I would expect that with GMT usage set to OFF, the clock would always come up behind the actual time when power is applied. But sometimes it grabs the time from the channel it is tuned to.

This is what has caused me grief with my attempts to record the Red Green Show. Speaking of which, gotta go...

I have been keeping a log of what time the clock in my microHD shows when I first plug it in. First I tuned to VBS on G19 and set GMT usage to On. This set my clock to the year 2036. I then set GMT usage to Off. (I did this just to make it obvious if the clock gets reset to 2012.)

Every time I plugged in the microHD to use it, the clock came up with the year 2036. Until tonight. When I plugged it in this evening, the clock was exactly on GMT. I checked the GMT usage setting and it was still set to Off. Since I program my timed recordings in local time (6 hours behind GMT) any recordings set to occur in the next 6 hours get erased.

I would expect that with GMT usage set to OFF, the clock would always come up behind the actual time when power is applied. But sometimes it grabs the time from the channel it is tuned to.

This is what has caused me grief with my attempts to record the Red Green Show. Speaking of which, gotta go...

Maybe you should try duct-taping a REAL clock to it? lol.

Certainly being tested in a manner that is quite out of the normal. I am not sure what experience to expect from any STB when used in this unusual way.

Why are you constantly unplugging and replugging equipment?

hopefully this is not changing the topic but i recorded a 7 minute bit on 58w. i was watching the japanese channel there and wanted to see the recording. the recording played ok and i wanted to stop and get back to regular programing. did 'menu' and menued out. my channel was still listed but i was on 'all satellite' and no video or sound was there. i selected 58w by using the choose satellite button and it went to the channel i was watching but still no video or sound. i powered down and up on the receiver. then i had picture and sound on the proper channel. charlie

Why are you constantly unplugging and replugging equipment?

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was constantly plugging and unplugging the microHD. Besides the reasons I mentioned, I am temporarily living in an apartment and don't want to drill a hole in the wall for the antenna cable. So I open the door a crack and bring the cable inside. I don't like to plug/unplug the LNBF cable when the receiver is powered, so I leave the receiver unpowered when I'm not using it. I probably power up the microHD less then once a day.

Even though I have GMT usage set to Off, I occasionally see the clock get set by the channel I'm tuned to at bootup. If the time is ahead of my local time, this messes with my timers.

I'm looking forward to the firmware that will set the clock from a specific channel at bootup. Great receiver BTW.

Here you go, scroll down a bit and check these out. You can close a window or door on them!:

http://www.hypermegasat.com/Accessories.htm

8" Pro Brand Flat Coax Cables RG6 Approved $4.50 for two.

Perfect when round coax won't do! Great for closed windows, doors etc
Great for temporary installs or condos & apartments
High quality & flexible. Comes with self adhesive strip
Works with all satellite/cable systems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts