microHD Development: Bug Reports and Firmware Fixes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unable to replicate on 5 test receivers. Was a Factory Reset performed after updating firmware?
Yes, I did a factory reset after updating to the 6-15 software.I've been doing embedded systems programming for the last 36 years so I know how hard it is to find data-dependent bugs. Especially if you don't have all the data needed to duplicate the problem. Maybe once more units are deployed more data will be available so you can duplicate it.

I think the june 15th firmware release notes have that issue as a thing to be resolved.

not sure if this is also a known blind scan issue to be resolved, but I find with my june 15th firmware that some of the locked signals reported on a blind scan say "FAIL" when they shouldn't - like some satellite newsgathering feeds. Only maybe happens about 5-10% of the time within groups of locked satellite news truck feeds. If I manually add or rescan the signal, I get service ID/channels written to memory.

I only expect to see "FAIL" if the service ID on a signal is cloaked (ala what FOX Sports Net used to do with their distribution feeds in a formerly used system) or if the signal is a data transmission and not video or audio.

Are you using Blind Scan - Normal or Blind Scan - Detailed?

The "Failed" OSD text simply indicates that the receiver was unable to log the selected mode of default or user defined services for that transponder, but the transponder is logged and added to the TP list. The Blind Scan - Detailed scan or TP Scan analyzes each signal with more detail and with extended searching before a timeout. This usually happens on channels that have non-DVB compliant or large tables and the receiver times out before locating a service that meets the default or user defined parameters. I believe that the timing could be slightly tweak to optimze, but right now it is set for a happy medium between a painfully slow scan that takes forever, but finds the majority of services and a rapid scan that quickly completes a scan, but missed many services.

We could change the OSD text for this event failure, but what word would be more applicable for a failure to log services than fail? ;)

When updating the firmware by USB, if you have multiple firmware files with different dates you can not differentiate them.

HDVS54012-1108249A0 2012-6-15.abs shows up as HDVS54012-1108249A0 2
HDVS54012-1108249A0 2012-7-6.abs shows up as HDVS54012-1108249A0 2

Thank you! We will be changing the file naming format shortly to address the unnecessary lengthy file name. This file name was used in development for identification while communicating with the chipset manufacturer and unintentionally carried into production.

"Install location" and "add satellite" should default to W longitude
Dish moves a lot when going through menus.
Some menus would be easier to use if the "OK" button was also allowed instead of just the "Yellow button"
Same when setting the duration of a recording. Right now you have to press the "record" button after setting the duration.

Are you using Blind Scan - Normal or Blind Scan - Detailed?
(...)
We could change the OSD text for this event failure, but what word would be more applicable for a failure to log services than fail? ;)

I don't recall which mode I was in at the time - i've been messing around with the blind scans trying to find out the pros and cons of all the various configurations of blind scan.

I'll try again early next week when the news feed trucks erupt with major activity again and see if "normal" or "detailed" mode cause more false "FAIL" instances.

I don't have a problem with the word "FAIL" - my point is that unless the transponder has a cloaked SI stream or is a data transponder, there really is no excuse for the receiver to report back "FAIL" when the Service ID and SI table are available to get the SID and PIDS, etc. to write to memory. I get somewhat about the dwell time to get that info from the SI, but I can't imagine a sat truck feed has too big of SI - the TS analysis doesn't show much info on those unlike larger multiple-channel muxes or radio distribution feeds where I know there is quite a bit of info in them that would need parsing.

I tried the Multiple Satellite scan. Not sure how it's supposed to work yet, but I set it for Basic Blind Scan and started it off. 1 of 46. It started with my first KU sat to the east and worked its way across the arc scanning all KU birds in my list. It then moved back to the furthest east C-Band bird and started scanning them. When it started with the C-Band sats, I no longer had the scan results displaying. The progress bar continued in a normal rate and the dish moved to each sat after a normal amount of scan time, but no results shown. I stopped the scan after 6 c-band sats were scanned. I was hoping I could NOT save the results as I had selected all channels instead of just FTA. But the results were saved anyway. I'm going to work with this a little more. I like this feature :)

motor position number in DiSEqC 1.2 you have to scroll thru the numbers it would be better to have direct entry.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking when I program my friend's receiver this weekend to interface with a VBOX, it's going to be a PITA to have to scroll instead of direct enter when you are more than 10-15 positions in.

When you get to the position number entry, hit "OK" it pops up a list that scrolls must faster :)

Most fields with multiple items have the List/OK key pop-up list for faster navigation. I mainly use the List/OK key for satellite navigation as the motor does not move until the satellite is selected from the list.

Not a high priority, but I'd vote for direct entry too. I have 68 sats to key in.
In the meantime I did find when using Magic's pop up list, the up/up, dn/dn on the lower part of the remote jumps 8 at a push.

Last edited:
I have now tried 3 KU only lnb's so far, universal, standard, (which both work perfectly, universal is actually more stable) and a bandstacked Dish FSS lnb, which lnb by the way only seems to find horizontal transponders, and not vertical. I'm not sure why as of yet.

The Dish FSS Bandstacked lnb is pointed on Sat 83w Ku AMC9 (dish is fixed for now). This is the first time I used it, so perhaps it's part bad, I'm not sure, but it worked to pick up one signal...) I tried setting lo to "13850" and scanned V side, nothing found. I then tried "Stacked (10750/13850)" then just "10750" all by itself, and set to scan both V and H. It only picked up the same feed each time ("AMC9-embedded" which is a news feed). The lnb is mounted to the original Primestar 1 meter feedhorn (looks like a Dalek eyestalk, kinda, lol.) and dish, and it couldn't find anything except that "amc9-embedded" horizontal transponder feed. It did pick up "quality" on some of the transponders though. I have confirmed with Tron that I have the FSS lnb mounted properly to the Primestar feedhorn. The universal and standard lnbs pick up Pbj, Rtv, Tuff, and a couple other feeds on this same sat.

0821101836.jpg <<< That's the feedhorn, borrowed pic from "Duster014". Mine is mounted to the FSS lnb. I have 1 more Dish FSS lnb, and I'll try that one also. Hopefully some other people here can try this combo, and see if it works for them.

I had a similar issue. I could not get the Luken channels on 83.0W to show during a scan, but they got added to my channel list anyway.

I deleted all channels and performed a multi-satellite scan. FTA only by transponder list. Only glitch was a missed position change during KU band scan. It did not miss the same position change during C-Band scan. The only problem is (you're gonna love this) the Dish Moving pop-up is too short in duration. It takes my dish 65 seconds to switch from west to east when starting the c-band scan. Several transponders "fail" because the dish isn't in position yet. And no I don't want it to stay up longer LOL. But can you make it scan the other direction when changing bands, or install a user selectable pause time?

Not a high priority, but I'd vote for direct entry too. I have 68 sats to key in.
In the meantime I did find when using Magic's pop up list, the up/up, dn/dn on the lower part of the remote jumps 8 at a push.

Enter them in on the computer, so much easier.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I deleted all channels and performed a multi-satellite scan. FTA only by transponder list. Only glitch was a missed position change during KU band scan. It did not miss the same position change during C-Band scan. The only problem is (you're gonna love this) the Dish Moving pop-up is too short in duration. It takes my dish 65 seconds to switch from west to east when starting the c-band scan. Several transponders "fail" because the dish isn't in position yet. And no I don't want it to stay up longer LOL. But can you make it scan the other direction when changing bands, or install a user selectable pause time?

Sorry.... This timer and sequence cannot be user modified.

Why not make your own satellite list and as an example, arrange your KU satellites in order from East to West and the C satellites West to East or place the C and KU satellites side by side in the list?

Sorry.... This timer and sequence cannot be user modified.

Why not make your own satellite list and as an example, arrange your KU satellites in order from East to West and the C satellites West to East or place the C and KU satellites side by side in the list?
I'm making a customized list as you suggested. It occurred to me after I made the post that was the way to take care of the issues.
When I start using the microHD correctly, it will be perfect:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)