GEOSATpro microHD: Playing AVI file problems

SatPhreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Some of the AVI files I have play fine in the micro, but some of them show "Video codec not support!" and only the sound works. They play fine on my computer so I have know idea why they don't on the micro.

Your computer may have an AVI codec type that the file needs for playback, but the microHD may not have the specific codec that these files require.

Please provide the AVI codec type of the file and we will determine if the codec is already installed or if it can be added. It would be helpful to have a sample of the AVI file for our testing.

I also have noticed some AVI files won't play. Using the GSpot AVI analysis I find that (Xvid ISO MPEG4, Xvid 1.0.3, Xvid 1.1.2 final, FMP4 ffdshow ISO MPEG4) will play fine. The ones that don't play I have are (DIV3 Divx3 low-motion, DX50 Divx5.x/6.x, DX50 Divx5.0.5) I also have a XVID 1.1.2 final that doesn't play and some that do.
I noticed that my AZBox will give me the CODEC error at times on files I have played before. A reboot fixes that. I tried to get the microHD to be inconsistant in that way but it doesn't mess up. If it plays, it will always play and if it doesn't, it never will.
Looks like we need the DIVX codec support :)

I am having the same issue where the AVI files won't play video, I can hear the sound but no video. Video codec not supported is displayed on the screen. Do we have an update on this issue and how to make it work? Much appreicated.

Mike

Hi Brian,

Video Codec with "video Codec not installed":

DX50 XviD 1.0.3
DX50 DivX 6.2.5
DX50 DivX 5.x/6.x
DIVX DivX 4
XVID XviD 1.0.2
XVID XviD ISO MPEG-4
XVID XviD 1.1.2 Final

The microHD isn't a general purpose media player.
Were any of those file types recorded off the air, or were they downloaded off the Internet? ;)

Hopefully nobody is encoding new stuff in most of those formats any more.

We were advised that the additional codecs will not be supported by ALI. This was posted in another thread, but I am unable to locate to link. Sorry!

Some years ago, I re-encoded video files with (the Free program) SUPER to make 'em playable.
That was to get them into a format my DivX-capable DVD player could handle.
It takes time on a healthy computer, but once you determine the output format you want, SUPER can be handed a list of files to convert overnight.

Any agressive re-encoding will lower quality, but I was able to find a balance between quality (just fine), and time.
Naturally, the bigger the computer, the lower the time. :up

1 year ago with Windows 7 64bit on a Dell quad-core laptop, I ripped and re-encoded 28 simultaneous dvd images into .MKV files using Makemkv. They all ran at the same time once the dvd's were ripped in folders on the C: drive, and they all did it in just a few hours. The laptop handled it just fine, without even maxing out the processors. I was amazed, but it worked really well.

New pc's aren't your daddy's pc's...

Some alternatives. Format Factory and VLC. Have used both to get some internet videos to play on the S9.
SUPER had you go from one page to another time and time again until you finally got to the download link. Don't know if they still do that or not.

. . . SUPER had you go from one page to another
time and time again until you finally got to the download link.
Don't know if they still do that or not.
Yes, it was annoying.
Probably some scheme to do with advertising (sound familiar?).

Also, it separated those with skill, determination, and ability to follow directions from casual lookie-loos.
Or to put it another way, "if you can't figure out how to download it, you got no business using it". ;)

There are other free and pay video converter programs.
Use whatever you like. :)

Some alternatives. Format Factory and VLC. Have used both to get some internet videos to play on the S9.
SUPER had you go from one page to another time and time again until you finally got to the download link. Don't know if they still do that or not.

VLC is highly recommended. It's open source and will play back just about anything. (I haven't found anything that it can't play - other than an occasional corrupted file).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts