GEOSATpro MicroHD Radio logo

. Raine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 6, 2013
North America, CT.
Does anyone know how big of a radio logo can be loaded into the MicroHD?

The stock one is like 43kb, a mk2 file, [mpeg2 with no audio] I'd like to put one in slightly bigger for the Radio logo, so I can have the logo moving and not just static, so it doesn't burn in a image on my plasma TV. If no one knows, I'll just try it, just don't want to boot-loop the thing or anything, if I can avoid it! :D

Don't recall the total allocation for the radio logo, but did have discussions with an ALI engineer about animations. We decided to keep the backgrounds under 50kb to provide memory for other features that eventually were not implemented. I had done testing with larger files and the GUI would become very sluggish, but never bricked.

Here is a post that I made in 2012 with a black screen and install instructions:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/want-a-black-screen-for-radio-mode-on-the-microhd.291449/

Don't recall the total allocation for the radio logo, but did have discussions with an ALI engineer about animations. We decided to keep the backgrounds under 50kb to provide memory for other features that eventually were not implemented. I had done testing with larger files and the GUI would become very sluggish, but never bricked.

Here is a post that I made in 2012 with a black screen and install instructions:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/want-a-black-screen-for-radio-mode-on-the-microhd.291449/

Thank you, Brian!

I loaded the black screen radio logo into my MicroHd and that worked fine. Thanks again, Brian. :)

A few days after, I had the idea of setting up one my 30" dishes as a dedicated radio dish and planned on using a unused Viewsat Ultra Lite that I have here for just radio channels, so the MicroHd isn't tied up if my wife wants to listen to radio and I want to watch TV on it.

The channel editor for the Viewsat just wouldn't work right for me, so I went with a Coolsat 7000 that I have here instead because I found a working editor for that [Kbox editor] and then I realized that I'd have to free up the TV too, no good being able to use the MicroHD if the TV it's connected to is being used to listen to radio stations on!

I had a Belkin Tunecast 2 FM transmitter here, made to hook up to a mp3 player, CD player, etc and transmit to a FM car stereo. The Tunecast can be powered by 3VDC or 12, so I removed the Coolsat's card adapter slot and circuit board, put the Tunecast in that spot, powered it from the 3.3 VDC supply for the CA. Hooked the input of the Tunecast to the audio out on the AV plugs inside the case and now we can listen to the radio stations through our radios anywhere in the house, rather than tying up a TV and the MicroHD.

The Tunecast saves whatever frequency it's set to, [in my case, 88.3] and it automatically powers on/off with a signal, so it goes on and off with the receiver. Once I add a external antenna and clean it up a bit, I'll post up some pictures. Also working on a RF remote to change through channels anywhere in the house.

Removing the card slot did cause the Coolsat to give a error message right after booting that says, "invalid smart card", which goes away about five seconds after. I may hook the card slot adapter back up and use the 12 supply right from the Coolsat's power supply, even though it doesn't really matter about the error because the receiver won't be hooked to a TV, so no one will see it. Or still use the 3.3 for the CS, with it hooked up, seeing as how the CS won't be in use.

Figured I'd post this as it's a way to put one of those old DVB receivers to use. One thing to keep in mind though, is the range of the transmitter. before I used the Tunecast, I looked on Amazon for a FM transmitter and saw some that would go 2 - 7 miles, going that far, you may get a knock on your door if your transmission interferes with anything! The Tunecast has a range of about thirty feet, so basically, it covers inside my house and that's about it. I took my smart phone and used the radio app on it, walked around to see how far the signal went and outside of the house I lost reception, so I figured it's good.

I still have to setup a dedicated dish for it too, for now, I just pointed my Ku motorized one at the correct sat and ran a coax to it temporarily.

Of course, you could just power the transmitter on it's own and hook to the audio outputs of the receiver, I just didn't want a bunch of wires hanging, separate power supplies, etc.

Well, I put the card slot board back in and still used it's 3.3VDC supply to power the TuneCast, works fine and no more error message. I did try an external antenna too, but decided against that because it increased the range dramatically, walking out into the street in front of my house and at my neighbor's house next door, you could pick up the signal clear as day.

Part 15 of the FCC ruling states 200 meters for unlicensed transmitters of this type, so I decided against the external antenna and just put the original wire antenna back on, which works fine in the house, not outside. Belkin claims the range of the TuneCast is up to 30', which seems to be pretty much spot on with the results I have here with the original wire antenna.

No RF remote, I was beginning to put it together and my wife says, "just put that receiver with the other receivers downstairs and I'll use the receiver's remote, save some work". Figured seeing as how she's the one who is going to use it the most, Ok. :)

Was going to post some pictures, but the batteries are MIA from my camera AGAIN, [my daughter took them, I'd be willing to bet :rolleyes:] but when I find them or charge some others, I'll post up pictures.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
Found my batteries. :)

100_1863.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)