MLB 2009 Season

I want to take a moment to congratulate Markkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Reynolds on his new MLB all-time strikeout record! @party

I want to take a moment to congratulate Markkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Reynolds on his new MLB all-time strikeout record! @party

His response was "So what " :rolleyes:

The Astros attendance is down 7,000 per game since 2007. They're still announcing crowds of about 30k per game, but on TV, attendance appears to be about half of that. Cooper was going to be fired at the end of the season. I think that this was just an attempt to boost attendance for the last homestand of the season and to try to help sell season tickets in the off-season.

The Houston Chronicle was reporting before the All-Star break that he was hated by the players, and they (the players) didn't do much to hide their disdain. Roy Oswalt was quoted a few weeks ago saying that guys were just going through the motions, not really trying. I took it as a direct shot at Cooper. When Clark was named interim GM, Lance Berkman said, on TV, that Clark would be fine as a manager because the players had a lot of respect for him.... another thinly veiled shot at Cooper. Regardless of what was going on, you can't fire the whole team.

The Astros are depressing as a franchise. They are the oldest team in baseball, have no farm system, and a $102 million payroll. Here is a tirade from one of the sports radio guys from Tuesday morning. I burst out laughing listening to this.

thegame Lance on the state of the Houston Astros

His response was "So what " :rolleyes:

yeah, he's emphasizing the positive like his homer total and his 100'ish RBI total.

Before I read the detail story the other day, I was thinking Rob Deer was off the hook, but I must be old school because I didn't know Ryan Howard and Reynolds broke Deer's mark before Reynolds outdid his old record this season.

It's amazing these guys - all or nothing, but on the rare chance they make contact, it's productive. I suppose that's why they stay in the MLB instead of being demoted to Triple-A to learn to have a more selective plate discipline and cut down on the K's.

what do you all think about Bobby Cox announcing his intention to retire after the 2010 season?

I think it's a bad move - how will the Braves be motivated to play in 2010 knowing Cox should be a lame duck manager? I think Cox should have kept his plans to himself and only make it public when the Braves are out of contention towards the end of 2010.

what do you all think about Bobby Cox announcing his intention to retire after the 2010 season?

I think it's a bad move - how will the Braves be motivated to play in 2010 knowing Cox should be a lame duck manager? I think Cox should have kept his plans to himself and only make it public when the Braves are out of contention towards the end of 2010.
Or they could use it as a rallying cry and play GREAT for him. :)

Absolutely dreadful how Diaz got picked off third last night, ending the Braves' comeback right there on the spot.

Sandra

Absolutely dreadful how Diaz got picked off third last night, ending the Braves' comeback right there on the spot.

Sandra

Yeah that was bad. At least Cox didn't throw him under the bus though, classy guy.

Sandra
Side note: Brendan Donnelly gets the save, officially facing zero batters.

Brendan Donnelly replaced Nunez and threw one pitch that ended the game in bizarre fashion.

Donnelly's lone pitch was a ball in the dirt that skipped past catcher Ronny Paulino. Thinking he could race home, Diaz darted down the third-base line. But Paulino quickly recovered, and he made a strong throw to Helms at third, who applied the tag on Diaz, who was out to end the game.

"Whenever Donnelly comes into the game, I usually see something I haven't seen before in my life," Helms said jokingly. "I've never seen a game end like that before. I've seen a game end on a passed ball at home plate on a tag out, but I've never seen that happen. It just shows you, no matter how long you play this game, something always can happen."

Does anyone have the history on playoff spot completion in the wild card era?

If the tigers win tomorrow night, it would mark the earliest time in the MLB wild card era that all playoff teams have been decided, right? If things fall into place friday, it would be all spots decided with 2 games left in the season.

I certainly can't remember a time in recent history where at least one division or wildcard hasn't been decided until the final saturday or sunday of the season.

Does anyone have the history on playoff spot completion in the wild card era?

If the tigers win tomorrow night, it would mark the earliest time in the MLB wild card era that all playoff teams have been decided, right? If things fall into place friday, it would be all spots decided with 2 games left in the season.

I certainly can't remember a time in recent history where at least one division or wildcard hasn't been decided until the final saturday or sunday of the season.

Actually, the Tiger's could wrap it up tonight, if they WIN and the Twins Lose

Well, here it is...the final day of the 2009 MLB season. The final day to flip thru all the games on EI and go "1st to 3rd" on MLB Network. Seems like just yesterday it all began and the Angels season began in tragedy on the 3rd day and it all seems a blur after that to be truthful. :confused:

Well only 183 days until opening day. I know it doesn't mean a whole lot, but the Reds had the best record in baseball since August 23rd so hopefully that will carry over to next year.