MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason why Mattingly is a better manager than Torre. I can assure you Torre would not have gotten tossed defending Kershaw in one of the worst calls ever made by an ump. Damn ump could cost him the Cy Young with that decision to toss him

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I agree Kershaw shouldn't have been ejected, but to call it one of the worst call ever made by an umpire is ludicrous! And how might this cost him the Cy Young? He did win the game after all! Besides, the way Cliff Lee has pitched in the last two months, I think he's a shoe in.

raoul5788 said:
I agree Kershaw shouldn't have been ejected, but to call it one of the worst call ever made by an umpire is ludicrous! And how might this cost him the Cy Young? He did win the game after all! Besides, the way Cliff Lee has pitched in the last two months, I think he's a shoe in.

An extra shutout and complete game with more Ks and more innings pitched could make a difference. Not letting him finish and have that opportunity to pitch a shutout can be a variable

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

An extra shutout and complete game with more Ks and more innings pitched could make a difference. Not letting him finish and have that opportunity to pitch a shutout can be a variable

Valid points!

Valid points!

Wasn't this the 7th inning ?
Not like they tossed him in the 3rd.

If he has 5 more K's thats not gonna make the difference between winning thew Cy or not.

If Kershaw needs every K, IP, etc. he can get, then that shows he is in a very close race.

Wasn't this the 7th inning ?
Not like they tossed him in the 3rd.

If he has 5 more K's thats not gonna make the difference between winning thew Cy or not.
He was tossed in the 6th, so he only pitched 5 innings total. He had 4 more innings to go.

Getting an extra shutout and complete game under his belt can make a difference in getting the Cy Young, especially in this day and age when few starters pitch shutouts, let alone, complete games

He was tossed in the 6th, so he only pitched 5 innings total. He had 4 more innings to go.

Getting an extra shutout and complete game under his belt can make a difference in getting the Cy Young, especially in this day and age when few starters pitch shutouts, let alone, complete games

But theres no way to know if he would have completed the game OR had a Shut out.

Jimbo said:
But theres no way to know if he would have completed the game OR had a Shut out.

Oh. He would have

Even so, allow him the opportunity to try or fail on his own.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Tampa Bay stole seven bases againt Beckett Friday, three by a 38 year old has-been. What is the over/under stolen bases line against Wakefield Sunday - a dozen, maybe?

AntAltMike, did you get a chance to look at the starting pitcher rule regarding the number of innings they must pitch to be eligible for the win?

AntAltMike, did you get a chance to look at the starting pitcher rule regarding the number of innings they must pitch to be eligible for the win?

Not since the last time. I'll try to excerpt the confusing, relatively new exception regarding the scoring of a game called after five in which the starter left with a lead after four, but it is mind boggling with the multiple negatives used.

I'm going to delete with three dots the parts that I don't think factor into this, but if you want to read or post the whole thing, you can do so from this linked page:

Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info

10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless[/u]

(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or

(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies....(ineffective relief pitcher exception)

(b) If the pitcher ...is a starting pitcher who has not completed

(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense (original rule), or

(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense (possibly new exception)...

I think that means that an exception now allows a starting pitcher to be given the win if he leaves the game with the lead after four innings and the game is then called complete after five innings.

Last edited:
Like I said before, if the game is complete after five innings, he MUST have pitched five innings! Maybe there is something I am not getting?

Yeah. The part that says he can get the win if he has pitched four innings of a game that goes five innings.

Like I said before, if the game is complete after five innings, he MUST have pitched five innings! Maybe there is something I am not getting?
I am reading it the same way AntAlMike is reading it. I could have sworn I heard Vin Scully mention this a few times as well. I think he is correct

Good news from Boston: Wakefield's knuckleball is knuckling.

Bad news from Boston: Wakefield's knuckleball is knuckling. Former Red Sox player Kotchman struckout but took first on a wild pitch, advanced to second on a passed ball, and then scored on a double by former Red Sox player Damon. The next batter was hit by a pitch.

In the fifth inning, Desmond Jennings stole second, went to third on a wild pitch and scored on a passed ball.

In a big game, you never want a knuckleballer pitching against you, and you never want one pitching for you.

- attribution unknown

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)