MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news from Boston: Wakefield's knuckleball is knuckling.

Bad news from Boston: Wakefield's knuckleball is knuckling. Former Red Sox player Kotchman struckout but took first on a wild pitch, advanced to second on a passed ball, and then scored on a double by former Red Sox player Damon.

- attribution unknown

This reads like News for Knuckleheads... :D Seriously, I like a knuckleballer in the rotation because they can really screw-up the other teams timing in a 3 or 4 game series.

On paper, Wakefield did a creditable job: 5 innings 2 earned runs, 1 walk. Unfortunately, Saltallamachia had four passed balls and the Red Sox committed two errors behind him. Salty has sure gone from the penthouse to the outhouse in a hurry

The Rays are really showing something. And the Red Sox are faltering badly...not even that great lineup can make up for the lack of starting pitching. Hell they cannot even outslug some team because they have to make up so many runs.... this is crazy!

I don't see the Rays overtaking Boston for the Wildcard position. Why? The Red Sox play 7 of their last 10 games against the Orioles while the Rays play 7-out-of-10 against the Yankees. Unless the Yankees decide to rest all their starters and the Orioles become a baseball team...well, I see the Rays falling short.

The Red Sox offense is often overrated. Yeah, they get production from Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzales and Ortiz, and 3/4s of season each year from Youkilis. but they get almost nothing from left field and right field, and only sporadic production from catcher and shortstop. And they don't have a bench player as good as Jerry Adair.

And they lost game one today to Baltimore. If Lackey loses tonight, the lead over Tampa Bay is down to one game.

The Red Sox offense is often overrated. Yeah, they get production from Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzales and Ortiz, and 3/4s of season each year from Youkilis. but they get almost nothing from left field and right field, and only sporadic production from catcher and shortstop. And they don't have a bench player as good as Jerry Adair.

And they lost game one today to Baltimore. If Lackey loses tonight, the lead over Tampa Bay is down to one game.

No need to worry Red Sox Nation, we have John"The Stopper" Whack-Me pitching the nightcap! If this team were a wounded horse, they would have been put out of their misery by now. :eek:

If that happens, Boston fans can root for the Yankees to beat the Rays. How ironic? :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

No need to worry Red Sox Nation, we have John"The Stopper" Whack-Me pitching the nightcap!

moleinside_zoom.jpg

Here's an interesting stat: Four Red Sox pitchers are in the American League top ten in hit batsman... and Tim Wakefield, who is in seventh place on the all-time list and far and away the leader among active players, isn't even one of them. You'll never guess who one of them is.

Here's an interesting stat: Four Red Sox pitchers are in the American League top ten in hit batsman... and Tim Wakefield, who is in seventh place on the all-time list and far and away the leader among active players, isn't even one of them. You'll never guess who one of them is.

I know Aceves has hit a boatload.

I know Aceves has hit a boatload.

He's in second place, behind Lackey, even though he's only pitched 102 innings.

The Red Sox escaped with an 18-9 win. Considering that Lackey gave up 8 runs in 4.1 innings and left with a runner on, they probably would have lost if they had let him pitch the entire game.

Last edited:
My goodness Mike Staton is a beast. He hit a moon shot to the upper deck in left field in the 1st inning(his 33rd - approx. 460 feet) then an even farther moon shot(still orbiting the earth) for his 34th, 475 feet into left center...line drive! This kid next year in the much hitter friendly Marlins Ball Park, will hit at least 45(barring any injuries).

My goodness Mike Staton is a beast. He hit a moon shot to the upper deck in left field in the 1st inning(his 33rd - approx. 460 feet) then an even farther moon shot(still orbiting the earth) for his 34th, 475 feet into left center...line drive! This kid next year in the much hitter friendly Marlins Ball Park, will hit at least 45(barring any injuries).

I've been following this kid off and on, and mark my words he is gonna be SCARY good!!!

Considering that Lackey gave up 8 runs in 4.1 innings and left with a runner on, they probably would have lost if they had let him pitch the entire game.

IF (and that's a HUGE IF!!!) the Sox make the playoffs, I do not want to see Lackey pitch an inning in the postseason! I don't care if they have to run a 70 year old Luis Tiant out there, ANYBODY but this stiff!

I've been following this kid off and on, and mark my words he is gonna be SCARY good!!!

I saw him at a recent Marlins game taking BP...and of course, he was hitting monster shots, but he hit one line drive...that was not a home run, but it was hit so hard that it hit the edge of the infield grass more or less where the average 3rd baseman would play....hit one more bounce...and hit the wall.

IF (and that's a HUGE IF!!!) the Sox make the playoffs, I do not want to see Lackey pitch an inning in the postseason! I don't care if they have to run a 70 year old Luis Tiant out there, ANYBODY but this stiff!

LOL same thing with Burnett. The Yankees are facing basically a minor league lineup with the Twins, Burnett, has a 5-1 lead in the fourth, and he's walking people! We now know he won't pitch well most of the time, but he can at least give us innings...

Chances are he's not on the post-season roster.

Sandra

Congrats to the new all-time saves leader, Mariano Rivera!!

Michael Kay said it best: "the greatest closer in the history of the game, is now ALSO the all-time saves leader"! And of course, in typical classy Mo Rivera form, after the final out he has the same "act like you've been there before" mentality.

I may be a Red Sox fan, but like Derek Jeter, I SOOOO respect this man! :bow

The problem is, knowing their current statuses, who else would you start??

Status
Not open for further replies.