MLB 2012-13 off-season notes & transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venezuela was eliminated with the 2nd loss. I will see all the games involving Puerto Rico here in Miami.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

USA moves on (surprising to me after watching the weekend of games for them, friday they looked terrible).
I originally thought that they would NOT make it.

Was hoping Venezuela would continue, but as I said earlier, the Tigers get several players back to Spring Training.

I have found myself still watching the classic, wanting to root for PR, mainly because I recognize players.

Honestly, I ended up watching a lot more of this than I thought I would.

I didn't see much of the last time they played (4 years ago, or is it 2 years ?)

Last edited:
The Reds get Votto back due to Canada losing. Phillips moves on with USA. I don't know if anyone else from the Reds is on any other team or not.

There is HEAVY rumor down here that he wanted no part of playing in the WBC but gave in to both personal and political pressure to play back home.

I LIKE Joey alot...but he sure can't hide showing his feelings. You can tell when he is focused and into it and you can sure tell when he is out of focus. He was talking to himself at each at bat I saw him take last weekend. Looked like he would have rather had root canal than play.

I LIKE Joey alot...but he sure can't hide showing his feelings. You can tell when he is focused and into it and you can sure tell when he is out of focus. He was talking to himself at each at bat I saw him take last weekend. Looked like he would have rather had root canal than play.

One of the problems w/ the WBC, imo, is timing. We're all gun-ho about spring training, signing free agents, hating Loria that the WBC is second fiddle.

I say host it in the dead of winter. There are enough indoor/warm weather stadiums to host games. Plus Toronto's Skydome, South American teams etc...

The model MLB should follow is the Canada Cup (BTW, screw you Bettman), invitational tournament of the world's best a month before training camp. Fans support was massive, ratings high and the games mattered.

Cheers, K

As I thought and expected, Puerto Rico just does not have enough hitting. They cannot match the D.R. AND the US in All-Star quality lineup. Going to be back at the stadium tomorrow with the elimination game against Italy.

As I thought and expected, Puerto Rico just does not have enough hitting. They cannot match the D.R. AND the US in All-Star quality lineup. Going to be back at the stadium tomorrow with the elimination game against Italy.

They don't have enough pitching either.

They don't have enough pitching either.

No.... they have pitched well. This is the 1st time they gave up more than 4 runs in a game in the WBC. They played a better hitting line-up than the US in the D.R. and only lost 4-2 in a game they could have easily won. The beat a better hitting AND pitching line-up in Venezuela.

They have the pitching AND defense to win. But when your ONLY true bats are Molina, Pagan, Rios and Beltran.... you BETTER hope that the pitching can hold teams to 3 runs or less. And for the most part, they have.

My October predictions:
AL- EAST : Baltimore
AL- Central : Detroit
Al- West : LA Angels
NL- East : Washington
NL- Central: St- Louis
NL- West: LA Dodgers

Wildcard: NYY are going to make some crazy trades and take on salary..sqweeking into the Wild Card on the last weekend.
Blue Jays..will suffere from the Marlins Curse and miss out on the post season by 10 games.

SFG are Wild card bound.

Cheers, K

From a January 14, 2013 Yahoo Sports column:

Los Angeles Dodgers projected $213 million payroll is the highest in the major leagues
New York Yankees are projected to spend $210 million payroll
Philadelphia Phillies: $158 million
Los Angeles Angels: $152 million
Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers: $150 million each

The Red Sox's payroll (did) not include their contract with Mike Napoli, which ha(d) been on hold because of questions about his hip.

The Yankees roster doesn't look like a $210 million roster when evaluating those players likely performances at their current ages and health conditions.

I'll keep poking and see if I can find more current estimates.

Last edited:
My October predictions:
AL- EAST : Baltimore
AL- Central : Detroit
Al- West : LA Angels
NL- East : Washington
NL- Central: St- Louis
NL- West: LA Dodgers

Wildcard: NYY are going to make some crazy trades and take on salary..sqweeking into the Wild Card on the last weekend.
Blue Jays..will suffere from the Marlins Curse and miss out on the post season by 10 games.

SFG are Wild card bound.

Cheers, K

There are two wild card in each league now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)