MLB 2012 Off Season News, Notes & Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indians Close to Signing Grady Sizemore?

"Just less than three weeks ago on October 31st the Indians chose to decline outfielder Grady Sizemore’s $9 million club option and the chances of him returning were remote. While he and the Indians would still keep in contact in the offseason, the general feeling was that it was a long shot for him to return to the Indians. Many thought that there would be more than enough potential suitors to give him a one year deal close to the $9 million option the Indians declined.

All that changed late Friday night as reports swirled like a tornado that discussions between the Indians and Sizemore’s agent Joe Urbon had reached the very serious stage. So much so that an official announcement could come anytime in the next 48 hours that he is coming back to the Indians. Talk about a complete reversal of direction for both Sizemore and the Indians.”

Tribe Happenings: Sizemore is coming back ~ Indians Prospect Insider

Interesting observation regarding Ellsbury's 100+ RBIs, posted in a reader comment in today's Boston Herald:

Ellsbury did NOT drive in 100 runs from the lead-off spot; he drove in 97 in 686 PA.

He had 1 PA in the 5th spot with no RBI.
He had 1 PA in the 6th spot with no RBI.
He had 9 PA in the 8th spot with 1 RBI.
He had 32 PA in the 9th spot with 7 RBI.

Overall, he had 105 RBI in 729 PA

I remember similarly, that when the Boston press had lauded Rico Petrocelli for his homer totals as a shortstop, it turned out that several of them had come when he played third, and Carlton Fisk's home runs by a catcher total required subtracting those as a DH, left fielder (41 games) or while playing first .

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... $10 million a year....I don't know...

Yoenis Cespedes’ Asking Price

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 21 at 10:28am CST]

MONDAY, 10:28am: The $35-50MM estimate for Cespedes may be light, a GM tells Gammons. Cespedes' people told one club they already have an offer with $10MM up front and eight years.

FRIDAY, 3:46pm: Cespedes may be looking to obtain more than $60MM on an eight-year deal, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. The outfielder shoud be declared a free agent soon after he establishes temporary residency in the Dominican Republic in late November, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

12:59pm: The question emerges whenever a star hits the free agent market: ‘how much will he cost?’ Yoenis Cespedes, the 26-year-old Cuban center fielder who is expected to hit free agency this offseason, has already drawn interest from many MLB teams and it sounds as though he expects to be paid like an established star, not a prospect.

Cespedes' agents are positioning him as an impact MLB player, instead of comparing him to other Cubans who have made the leap to the Major Leagues, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Scouts in the Dominican tell Peter Gammons of MLB Network that Cespedes will cost between $35-50MM (Twitter link).

The Cubs will watch Cespedes and others in the Dominican Republic next week, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat (on Twitter). The Red Sox, Phillies, Indians, Blue Jays, Pirates, Rangers, Tigers, Nationals, Athletics, Marlins, and Yankees also appear to have some interest in Cespedes.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Congratulations to the Detroit Tigers Justin Verlander, the first pitcher to win both the Cy Young and MVP awards since Dennis Eckersley in 1992!

Interesting Stat: Detroit's last 5 MVP winners have all been pitchers. '11 Verlander, '84 Hernandez, '68 McLain, '44 & '45 Newhouser.

Now let's hope the guy that put up the best all around numbers in both leagues and the guy that was named player of the, Matt Kemp, wins the NL MVP.

With a pitcher winning the AL MVP showing that the award does not have to go to offensive players, it looks more likely that a guy playing for non contending team can also win an MVP

Where do the Marlins stand with Reyes? Did they actually make an offer? Six years, $15 million per? Is it an actuall offer?

Sandra

i say kemp but braun could get it because his team the brewers made the playoffs imo :)

Congrats to Braun. He won with a wider margin than I thought he would. I thought it would be a lot closer.

I guess it shows that winning is the ultimate factor in picking an MVP. Regardless, Braun did have a good year and was deserving of the award

Joe Nathan signs with Texas to be their closer
Feliz gonna be a starter

Damn now all the Twins need to do is get rid of Matt "I blow every save opportunity I have" Capps

Well,MLB certainly learned from their last players strike,& I'm sure they learned from the NHL,NFL,& present NBA labor problems.
MLB players, owners reach deal - MLB - Sporting News
Love him or hate him,Bud Selig does seem to know how to keep the MLB profitable & free of major distractions(excluding the Dodger situation).

Free of Major distractions ?

He cancelled the WS and ended a ALL STAR game in a TIE and gave the ASG winner home field in the WS, those are MAJOR distractions.

Free of Major distractions ?

He cancelled the WS and ended a ALL STAR game in a TIE and gave the ASG winner home field in the WS, those are MAJOR distractions.

I meant after the 94 strike which would take care of the WS distraction. As far as the all-star game game goes,giving the winning team home field advantage was suppose to solve games ending in a tie. Anyway compared to present distractions with the NBA & recent distractions with the NHL canceling a season due to strike & the NFL almost going off the deep end with their own (thankfully) short lived lockout,having a CBA without drama makes the MLB look good & Selig is at the helm of the MLB.

I meant after the 94 strike which would take care of the WS distraction. As far as the all-star game game goes,giving the winning team home field advantage was suppose to solve games ending in a tie. Anyway compared to present distractions with the NBA & recent distractions with the NHL canceling a season due to strike & the NFL almost going off the deep end with their own (thankfully) short lived lockout,having a CBA without drama makes the MLB look good & Selig is at the helm of the MLB.

The way I look at it, it's only the 2nd GOOD thing he's done since he became commish.
In reality, he really doesn't have anything to do with this agreement, the owners and the players assoc. are the ones that have to make the agreements, not the Commish, he should be a moderator.

The list of candidates for manager of the Boston Red Sox is indeed down to two, Bobby Valentine and Gene Lamont, a team source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes on Monday.

Lamont said Monday morning that he had not been offered the job, and Valentine said via text message Sunday night that he hadn't heard from the team either. Valentine was in Japan at a charity event on Monday, according to The New York Times.
Source -- Boston Red Sox search down to Gene Lamont, Bobby Valentine - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger holds share of lead in Abu Dhabi

RIP Gary Carter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)