MLB 2012 Postseason

No one has won the world series from an 0-3 deficit. The Red Sox did it in the ALCS. Only a miracle will save the tigers. The Giants best pitcher is pitching tomorrow for the sweep.

Baseball has been done in by air conditioning and electronic entertainment. I can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing neighborhood baseball. Actually, I can remember. It was the last time I played, in 1969. To play baseball, you need a large field and close to 18 people who want to do the same thing at the same time. That means playing with a lot of people who are younger and older and who you otherwise wouldn't be associating with. Back before air conditioning, cable TV and video games, you could get 18 people to do that, but since the early 1970s, too many people have had too many preferred ways to spend their hot summer days.

Similarly, hockey will never be any more popular than it is right now, because it is even harder to find a suitable "playfield" and it takes too much specialty equipment. I'm amazed that baseball continbues to have the following that it does.

Sorry, but I disagree with any implication that the strike zone has favored the Giants. I feel like the zone for all three games has been consistent every game. It seemed a little tight in game one, but it was tight for both teams.

Yup, it's been consistent, consistently OUTSIDE.

Baseball has been done in by air conditioning and electronic entertainment. I can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing neighborhood baseball. Actually, I can remember. It was the last time I played, in 1969. To play baseball, you need a large field and close to 18 people who want to do the same thing at the same time. That means playing with a lot of people who are younger and older and who you otherwise wouldn't be associating with. Back before air conditioning, cable TV and video games, you could get 18 people to do that, but since the early 1970s, too many people have had too many preferred ways to spend their hot summer days.

Similarly, hockey will never be any more popular than it is right now, because it is even harder to find a suitable "playfield" and it takes too much specialty equipment. I'm amazed that baseball continbues to have the following that it does.

Your going back too far, there was plenty of support for baseball in the 70's, we use to play every week ... the electronic games age took over big time in the 80's.
Btw, we had AC back then and Cable TV came in our area in the early 70's

I played outside with the neighborhood kids every day after school and homework.

No one has won the world series from an 0-3 deficit. The Red Sox did it in the ALCS. Only a miracle will save the tigers. The Giants best pitcher is pitching tomorrow for the sweep.

Then again, before this series started they were all saying the same thing about Justin Verlander ... (theres NO WAY they can beat Verlander)

Sunday- World Series Game 4

Giants (Cain) at Tigers (Scherzer)- 8:00pm ET (FOX)

IF the games continue after tonight, you'd have one more game in Detroit on Monday (?), thankfully they would then move back to SF as it's gonna get really nasty around here by Tuesday/Wednesday with the effects of Sandy ... While I KNOW were no where close to the actual action on the east coast, our weather will be effected with plenty of rain on Tiesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

With highs in the 40's then add the WIND and Rain .... God I love my outdoor job ... UGH.

The Giants were on the brink of getting KO'd in Cincy a few weeks ago.

Now, they're on the verge of a poential dynasty.

Once one thing goes right, everything else goes right. It was like the Red Sox in 04. Once they beat the Yankees, no way they were losing to the Cards.

I do believe Buck/McCarver are part of the problem but I know that the younger generation are losing interest in baseball . And MLB is well aware of it.

Your going back too far, there was plenty of support for baseball in the 70's, we use to play every week ... the electronic games age took over big time in the 80's.
Btw, we had AC back then and Cable TV came in our area in the early 70's

I played outside with the neighborhood kids every day after school and homework.

I dont think Buck/McCarver are that bad. I really think that Baseball is more a regional sport. In other words, if your team isnt in the World Series you may not watch it. You look at Giants/Tigers. Do you think anyone in NY cares? Or how about PA?

It's hard to beleive tonight could be the final baseball game of the year. I REALLY want this thing to come back to SFO and have it go 7 games. Am I pipe dreaming????

Once one thing goes right, everything else goes right. It was like the Red Sox in 04. Once they beat the Yankees, no way they were losing to the Cards.

I dont think Buck/McCarver are that bad. I really think that Baseball is more a regional sport. In other words, if your team isnt in the World Series you may not watch it. You look at Giants/Tigers. Do you think anyone in NY cares? Or how about PA?

You make a good point about where the teams are from, if the Tigers were not in it, I would either be rooting for the Giants or Not watching at all.

Buck/McCarver are that bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)