MLB 2013 Season

I think it stems from that no-hitter. He was coming back from the first surgery and was not fully healed. He should have been taken out in the 6th or 7th inning to save his shoulder.

I remember that too, but he really hasn't been the pit5cher the Mets had hoped for ...

btw, didn't the Mets leave him it to throw like 120 pitches that game ?

edit:

He threw 134 pitches.

I'm stunned over this news. I knew he wasnt 100% but I thought he was on the road to recovery. Just gets worse for the Mets. I dont know what they do now. This could be a 70 win Mets team and I'm being generous.

Verlander and the Tigers just agreed to an extension that can go up to $202 million and 8 years making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball. It's a lot of money but it's not my money so I don't care. I also don't care that this deal goes until he is 38. I'm just happy to have him in a Tigers jersey for the rest of his career.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9...s-agrees-deal-which-worth-202-million-sources

And since then, another player has signed a comparable contract.

Four of the six highest paid players in baseball will start this season on the DL, which means that at this moment, they are no more able to contribute to their teams than I am. It has already been posted here that Barry Bonilla is the second highest paid outfielder on the Mets payroll.

While I believe that some billionaire, sports team owners are stupid - like Dan Synder and Mark Cuban - they can't all be stupid. I guess that if every team gives a couple of players $20 million a year, eight year contracts, then the fact that half or more of those players won't be worth squat during the out-years of those contracts doesn't tend to put any teams at a significant competitive disadvantage to others if everyone is doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Picture this......some one that weights over 300 lbs. do handstands,backflips,cartwheels and half gainers off the asphalt. in anticipation of opening day! I can't figure out which team to root for L.A. Dodgers or the S.F. Giants.......or Maybe the S.D. Padres now that the O'Malleys own them. Being as I grew up watching the Dodgers in my youth, then the Giants in the late 1980's but I do remember going to the Padres games in Westgate Park. Now I'm showing my age.

HAPPY OPENING DAY EVERYONE! Here's to a great season for all of your teams and here's to some stiff and tough competition.

Oh...and as always, GO ANGELS!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dodgers and Angels what else would u like more then these two in 2013.

Playoffs and beyond.

Playball!

Sent from my SPH-L900

And since then, another player has signed a comparable contract.

Four of the six highest paid players in baseball will start this season on the DL, which means that at this moment, they are no more able to contribute to their teams than I am. It has already been posted here that Barry Bonilla is the second highest paid outfielder on the Mets payroll.

While I believe that some billionaire, sports team owners are stupid - like Dan Synder and Mark Cuban - they can't all be stupid. I guess that if every team gives a couple of players $20 million a year, eight year contracts, then the fact that half or more of those players won't be worth squat during the out-years of those contracts doesn't tend to put any teams at a significant competitive disadvantage to others if everyone is doing the same thing.

If you want the top tier free agents that's how it is these days. They are trying to win a championship with him while he's in his prime and willing to overpay for the last few years of his contract. It's just part of doing business. If you are only willing to give them a 3 year deal because you don't want to overpay when they are older they will just sign with someone else willing to give them a long term contract. I applaud a team that can win without spending big money but they are making it a lot harder on themselves.

In other news. Happy opening day. I don't have a ton of interest in tonight's game but I will probably watch part of it. Can't wait for Verlander tomorrow though.

Dodgers and Angels what else would u like more then these two in 2013.

Playoffs and beyond.

Playball!

Sent from my SPH-L900

Yes!!!! Now that ESPN has declared SoCal as "ground zero" for MLB it will be very interesting to see how much attention we can pull away from the East Coast on a national level.

I'm thinking it's going to be a tough year for this Yankees fan. :(

It's possible that BOTH the Yankees and Red Sox could finish at the bottom of the AL East. :(

FWIW (not much, I can assure you :)), here's my AL East predictions:

1. Blue Jays
2. Rays (wildcard)
3. Red Sox
4. Yankees
5. Orioles

1/2 an inning and already I miss Tito. Kruk is like listening to paint dry!!!

I've missed Tito for a year and a half :( (although John Farrell will be a huge improvement over that POS that was here last year).

It's possible that BOTH the Yankees and Red Sox could finish at the bottom of the AL East. :(

1. Blue Jays
2. Rays (wildcard)
3. Red Sox
4. Yankees
5. Orioles

OK Swami, LOL!
Go ahead and predict the AL West. It ain't gonna be as easy as it looks.

OK Swami, LOL!
Go ahead and predict the AL West. It ain't gonna be as easy as it looks.

:)

1. Angels- and once again my pick for World Series champion (I feel like I pick them every year, but man are they LOADED!!)
2. Athletics
3. Mariners
4. Rangers

5. Astros- could lose 115 games in their AL debut

I'm thinking it's going to be a tough year for this Yankees fan. :(

I dont think the Yankees are going to be in last place. I have a gut feeling that they will win maybe 90 games. There the Yankees after all. Give them one good run and they'll be all set.

1/2 an inning and already I miss Tito. Kruk is like listening to paint dry!!!

It could be worse than John Kruk. I think he deserves to be in the booth. He's been at ESPN what seems like forever, he should get a chance.

1. Blue Jays
2. Rays (wildcard)
3. Red Sox
4. Yankees
5. Orioles

The Rays might be in last place this year. They have great pitching but no hitting at all. I thought the AL East was going to be the strongest division but with the Yankee injuries, Red Sox rebuilding, it could be middle of the pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts