MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
I had EI from 1996 to sometime around 2010 or so. Years run together. I've had MLB.TV since their 2nd year back when the backhauls were a part of the package. I have the premium package for $129 set to renew.

If I buy EI again on DirecTV, I have a few questions:
1) MLB.TV does not and has never recognzied my zip code so I'm not blacked out of games. At my girlfirends, she is blacked out of the 2 teams for the area which causes blackouts on the tablet and phone at times here at home when taking back and forth (she is in a different older zip code for the city). If DirecTV gets the money, where are the blackouts set? DirecTV knows my zip code so the area blackouts apply and have always at home. Will the package blackouts online be set to MLB.TV or DirecTV or both depending where I'm watching?

2) Does the package with DirecTV come with the mlb.tv premium (both feeds) or just the basic (one feed)? DirecTV couldn't answer with c/s.

3) Does the package with DirecTV include spring training games online (just like it would if I had just MLB.TV by itself where games are included) so I would not have to rely on the c/ku backhauls taping at home? DirecTV couldn't answer with c/s.

Blackouts for MLB.TV will be the exact same, based on location triggered by your device. All DirecTV MLB EI does is give you access to MLB.tv via your directv login, everything else is the same.

The MLB.tv is the premium access. Last year it started opening day. This year, I can't tell. I still have access but it could be driven by last years package. Last year I just paid for March at the monthly rate then the DirecTV access kicked in opening day (or the day after, can't remember).

DirecTV access does not include any spring training games on TV. Any you can get would be part of sports pack. As for the MLB.tv access, see my note above.

If you like the picture quality and having it on the satellite for DVR/etc - you won't miss anything by going to Extra Innings instead.

I had EI from 1996 to sometime around 2010 or so. Years run together. I've had MLB.TV since their 2nd year back when the backhauls were a part of the package. I have the premium package for $129 set to renew.

If I buy EI again on DirecTV, I have a few questions:
1) MLB.TV does not and has never recognzied my zip code so I'm not blacked out of games. At my girlfirends, she is blacked out of the 2 teams for the area which causes blackouts on the tablet and phone at times here at home when taking back and forth (she is in a different older zip code for the city). If DirecTV gets the money, where are the blackouts set? DirecTV knows my zip code so the area blackouts apply and have always at home. Will the package blackouts online be set to MLB.TV or DirecTV or both depending where I'm watching?

2) Does the package with DirecTV come with the mlb.tv premium (both feeds) or just the basic (one feed)? DirecTV couldn't answer with c/s.

3) Does the package with DirecTV include spring training games online (just like it would if I had just MLB.TV by itself where games are included) so I would not have to rely on the c/ku backhauls taping at home? DirecTV couldn't answer with c/s.

The blackouts for MLB.TV are based on the IP of the device you are using to watch it. So wherever the device is located, you'll be blacked out based on that. It is not tied to the billing info you enter (either on MLB.com if you buy it directly from them or on file with DirecTV if you get it as part of ordering Extra Innings). Note: do you have cellular data turned off when trying to watch on a phone/tablet? I've noticed some cases where the blackouts did not work (i.e. I was able to watch my local team) when I had cellular data turned off on my phone and was watching games via Wi-Fi.

This year both MLB.TV packages include the Spring Training games (per MLB.TV's website) so once you sign up for Extra Innings (and then authenticate your MLB.TV account with your DTV info), you should be able to watch Spring Training games via MLB.TV only. In other words, signing up for Extra Innings does not get you any extra Spring Training games that you would otherwise get just by renewing the MLB.TV premium (or regular) package.

This year both MLB.TV packages include the Spring Training games (per MLB.TV's website) so once you sign up for Extra Innings (and then authenticate your MLB.TV account with your DTV info), you should be able to watch Spring Training games via MLB.TV only. In other words, signing up for Extra Innings does not get you any extra Spring Training games that you would otherwise get just by renewing the MLB.TV premium (or regular) package.
This is different from last year then? If I'm on auto-renew for MLB-EI won't it only become active on Opening Day and as a result not allow me to see Spring Training games via MLB.tv?

This is different from last year then? If I'm on auto-renew for MLB-EI won't it only become active on Opening Day and as a result not allow me to see Spring Training games via MLB.tv?

I'm not sure if both MLB.TV packages included Spring Training games last year, but this post appears to indicate that they did (www dot baseballgb dot co dot uk/?p=17647). When is your DTV Extra Innings subscription set to renew? Basically what happened last year was the "free" MLB.TV account attached to an Extra Innings subscription did not get announced until the very start of the season (I think it may have actually been a week or two in). So at that point, Spring Training was obviously already done. But this year with the same agreement already in place, if you sign up for Extra Innings now, you should be able to validate & get your MLB.TV account now. If your Extra Innings isn't set to auto-renew until April 1st, I don't see why you couldn't call a month earlier and renew then.

I'm not sure if both MLB.TV packages included Spring Training games last year, but this post appears to indicate that they did (www dot baseballgb dot co dot uk/?p=17647). When is your DTV Extra Innings subscription set to renew? Basically what happened last year was the "free" MLB.TV account attached to an Extra Innings subscription did not get announced until the very start of the season (I think it may have actually been a week or two in). So at that point, Spring Training was obviously already done. But this year with the same agreement already in place, if you sign up for Extra Innings now, you should be able to validate & get your MLB.TV account now. If your Extra Innings isn't set to auto-renew until April 1st, I don't see why you couldn't call a month earlier and renew then.
IIRC, Spring Training(MLB.tv) was a separate purchase from the regular season last year, I think it ran about $24 for the month.

It looks like I started MLB-EI on 4/11/14 as I think I was waiting to see what the situation was with the LA Dodgers channel, whether or not it would even be available, turns out game broadcasts are part of MLB-EI and have nothing to do with whether or not DIRECTV carries the channel as part of their lineup. So I'm guessing that would be the renewal date, 4/11/14, unless I initiate the renewal early of course, which I'll probably do as I've seen no indication that the Dodger games would not be available this season.

I already had bought MLB.TV before the agreement was reached last year. MLB wouldn't let me pay the difference to have both. I'll call tonight and see if spring training is involved. Thanks everyone. My IP shifts to Seattle home of the cable company when at home so I have to call mlb.TV 3-4 times a year to reset.

The CSR's haven't had info on spring training in the past, so I wouldn't put too much stock in anything they say.

As for MLB.TV with EI for spring training - although we didn't get it last year without extra purchase I think that could be different this year. My .tv login still works from last year's EI subscription. I imagine when that is disabled next years will then start. That could be wrong, they could turn off 2014 EI and not enable 2015 logins until opening day, we just don't know.

I think the odds are good since the .tv logins are still working.

For customers that are adding EI that didn't have it last year, I'm not sure - but if someone does please post as it will clear it up.

Worst case, an extra $20 for the monthly subscription for March would be worst case scenario (though many spring games are re-aired on MLBNet if one didn't want to spend the $20).

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Considering that DirecTV targets sports fans so pointedly, I've always wondered why they don't have a specific route for inbound callers dealing only with sports questions? They could train CSRs in the ins and outs of sports programming to answer those calls.

Awesome! I've never ordered Extra Innings before and this year I'm seriously thinking about making the purchase, but I wanna try before I buy. Thanks everyone!

This is a free preview for 4/6-4/12. It was listed the "Order Directv Sports Package" channel. MLB.TV is not included in the free preview.

I bought EI with mlb.TV. I cancelled the stand alone mlb.TV package. I'm getting today's TV and radio early games online with the DirecTV sync-up.

The NBA and NHL also do free previews the first week (or more) and often, the MLB, NHL, and NBA have an additional free preview after the league's respective All-Star break.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)