MLB Trade deadline/rumors thread

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
With the trading deadline less than three weeks away, I figured it was time to start a thread of rumors and trades. I got the following off of mlbtraderumors.com:

Jason Bay- Diamondbacks and Cardinals are interested, and the Mets and Rays have kicked the tires on a possible deal.

Eric Milton- will be signing with the Yankees, however, he is six weeks away from returning (Tommy John surgery)

Richie Sexson- Yankees want another RH bat and might be considering Sexson

Raul Ibanez- Mets might be interested in the Mariners OF to replace the injured Moises Alou

Brian Fuentes- without question the hottest name presently out there. No less than ten teams are interested with the Rays being the current front-runner. The Angels, Marlins, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, A's, Cubs, and Cardinals are also interested in the Rockies closer.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Last edited:
I think it's time Jason Bay gets moved.

He's a fine player and solid hitter who has toiled for the putrid Pirates- he deserves better.

Two other rumors:

The Phillies are interested in A.J. Burnett

The Diamondbacks are interested in reacquiring Tony Clark.

With the trading deadline less than three weeks away, I figured it was time to start a thread of rumors and trades. I got the following off of mlbtraderumors.com:

Jason Bay- Diamondbacks and Cardinals are interested, and the Mets and Rays have kicked the tires on a possible deal.

Eric Milton- will be signing with the Yankees, however, he is six weeks away from returning (Tommy John surgery)

Richie Sexson- Yankees want another LH bat and might be considering Sexson

Raul Ibanez- Mets might be interested in the Mariners OF to replace the injured Moises Alou

Brian Fuentes- without question the hottest name presently out there. No less than ten teams are interested with the Rays being the current front-runner. The Angels, Marlins, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, A's, Cubs, and Cardinals are also interested in the Rockies closer.

Tigers are not listed as wanting Fuentes ???
They must be counting on Roller Coaster Jones for another year, or they may be finally handing the ball over to Joel (Zoom, Zoom) Zumaya next year.

Jimbo

Cancel Mets plans . . . Church will be fine and with that, they probably will not pull trigger on Nady, Bay or Ibanez . . . and they do not have enough for Fuentes (IMO)

Richie Sexson- Yankees want another LH bat and might be considering Sexson

Sexson is a RH bat, not LH.

What? Nobody wants Griffey or Dunn?

Dunn is homering almost every day right now. If someone is willing to give anything of value for him, Castellini and Jocketty HAVE to pull the trigger! Please!!

Griffey is just going to rot away the rest of the year, and then the club won't pick up the option next year.

And, praise God, in 2009 they'll both be gone, and we can move forward.

Dunn is homering almost every day right now. If someone is willing to give anything of value for him, Castellini and Jocketty HAVE to pull the trigger! Please!!

Griffey is just going to rot away the rest of the year, and then the club won't pick up the option next year.

And, praise God, in 2009 they'll both be gone, and we can move forward.

You don't want Griffey ?
He can play on my team anytime . :)

Jimbo

Yankees are now potential suitors for Xavier Nady.

Rockies might consider Ian Kennedy straight up for Fuentes (if the Yankees are willing to part with Kennedy).

Damaso Marte- The Cardinals, Mets, Red Sox , and Rays are all interested in the Pirates reliever.

Yankees are now potential suitors for Xavier Nady.

Rockies might consider Ian Kennedy straight up for Fuentes (if the Yankees are willing to part with Kennedy).

Yankees are interested in ANYONE, as usual, they will buy the players with the largest contract that others can't afford.

Why do they need Fuentes, what happened to Marino Rivera ?

They are the type of team that would sign a player so someone else doesn't get him.

Jimbo

Twins are interested in Mariners 3B Adrian Beltre. Beltre is under contract in 2009 for $12 Million, so I don't see it happening. Besides, rookie call-up Brian Buscher is hitting over .300 in limited plate appearances.

Why do they need Fuentes, what happened to Marino Rivera ?

Jimbo

If the Yankees acquire Fuentes, he would be placed in a setup role to Rivera. The Yankees are one of several teams that desperately need a dependable "bridge" guy to get to their closer (although Farnsworth has been pitching better of late).

Omar Vizquel to Cleveland for Nostalgia sake?

From Buster Olney's ESPN Insider Blog.......

“There is simmering buzz that San Francisco shortstop Omar Vizquel might walk away from the game during the all-star break. Vizquel is a proud man, who is embarrassed at how he’s hit since returning from knee surgery May 10. He has batted .153 in 44 games. The Giants don’t want him to go. Vizquel is still a gem defensively, providing immense help for a maturing pitching staff. Robbie Alomar, a Hall of Famer in my mind, retired abruptly when he could no longer play at the level to which he was accustomed.”

If Omar truly wants to retire, why not work out a deal with the Giants where they trade him to the Indians for small beans. Then, once the Indians acquire the rights to Vizquel, they could let him suit up one last time for the Tribe and play his farewell game in Jacob’s Field. This would serve as one final chance to watch Omar play in an Indians uniform at home. The game would be a sure sellout and may even make amends to all the disgruntled fans who are still mad we traded him 4 years ago.

If the Yankees acquire Fuentes, he would be placed in a setup role to Rivera. The Yankees are one of several teams that desperately need a dependable "bridge" guy to get to their closer (although Farnsworth has been pitching better of late).

Tiger's need a reliable closer more than the Yankee's need another set up guy.
Would Fuente's want to be a SET UP GUY ?

Jimbo

From Buster Olney's ESPN Insider Blog.......

“There is simmering buzz that San Francisco shortstop Omar Vizquel might walk away from the game during the all-star break. Vizquel is a proud man, who is embarrassed at how he’s hit since returning from knee surgery May 10. He has batted .153 in 44 games. The Giants don’t want him to go. Vizquel is still a gem defensively, providing immense help for a maturing pitching staff. Robbie Alomar, a Hall of Famer in my mind, retired abruptly when he could no longer play at the level to which he was accustomed.”

If Omar truly wants to retire, why not work out a deal with the Giants where they trade him to the Indians for small beans. Then, once the Indians acquire the rights to Vizquel, they could let him suit up one last time for the Tribe and play his farewell game in Jacob’s Field. This would serve as one final chance to watch Omar play in an Indians uniform at home. The game would be a sure sellout and may even make amends to all the disgruntled fans who are still mad we traded him 4 years ago.

Football teams do this type of thing often, but I'm not sure baseball does this type of thing or not.

Tigers make a deal for Twins Mauer and Morneau :):):)

If they can't beat them, they may as well sign them :D:D:D

Just joking of course about the deal.

I am sure the Tigers would LOVE both of them, Mauer would take over for Pudge who is getting up there in catching years and Morneau is just awesome as well.

Are the Twins really missing David Ortiz ?

Once again, just wishful thinking .....

Then again, Mr. Illitch said the same about Cabrera and decided to get him , because he liked him.

Hello, Mr. Illitch , Hello !!!

Jimbo

Tiger's need a reliable closer more than the Yankee's need another set up guy.
Would Fuente's want to be a SET UP GUY ?

Jimbo

This is very true for THIS year. IMO, Zumaya has a far greater upside than Fuentes, but I understand the Tigers probably won't make that move (making Zumaya their closer) until the offseason. As far as Fuentes being ok with a set up role, there were reports saying he wouldn't mind pitching in New York (for either the Yankees or the Mets).

This is very true for THIS year. IMO, Zumaya has a far greater upside than Fuentes, but I understand the Tigers probably won't make that move (making Zumaya their closer) until the offseason. As far as Fuentes being ok with a set up role, there were reports saying he wouldn't mind pitching in New York (for either the Yankees or the Mets).

I'm figuring that Zumaya goes to the closer role next year as well, even thou there was talk recently about him going back to being a Starter ....

Jimbo

You don't want Griffey ?
He can play on my team anytime . :)

Jimbo

What... platoon him at DH with Sheffield, I guess? Let him try to cover ground in that spacious RF until Mags comes back? You DON'T want to do that.

If I were GM and you had a pitching prospect or two, Griffey would be yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)