MLB Trades and Rumors

This makes no sense.
From Boston.com:
LaRoche had to go to open up a spot for Victor Martinez, but it's hard to see how the Red Sox are going to make room for Kotchman unless they decide to jettison George Kottaras and go with Martinez and Jason Varitek as their only catchers. Regardless of how they make it work, it's a really nice pickup for the Red Sox. Kotchman is just 26 and he has some quality seasons in his future. He's not going to be a free agent until after 2011, and the Red Sox shouldn't have any problem carrying him as a $3.5 million role player next year.

Is Cleveland B-R-O-K-E? They are rebuilding by getting rid of a 30 year old all-star catcher and a 30 year old Cy Young award winning pitcher. When you rebuild, you keep the 30 year old all star battery.

The pitcher CLAYTON RICHARD that the White Sox are sending to San Diego has potential to be a real force on the mound. He had been off to a fine start filling in the 5th spot in the Sox rotation, then he went South for a few games but has show near brilliance his past 2 times starting. The Friars may have traded away one of the best but they just may have one of the future's best coming their way. ;)

Nice day for the BoSox getting V-Mart and Kotchman, both players I like a lot.

On a side note: Are the Red Sox trying to break a record of 1B used in a season? :confused:

I hate losing Masterson to the Indians, but as the saying goes, you have to give up something to get something.

According to WEEI, the Sox and Jays were thisclose in making a deal for Halladay.

Apparently the Jays wanted Buchholz and Bard, but the Sox balked at dealing away Bard.

According to WEEI, the Sox and Jays were thisclose in making a deal for Halladay.

Apparently the Jays wanted Buchholz and Bard, but the Sox balked at dealing away Bard.

Bill, do you think the Red Sox should have gone through with the trade, or did they make a good decision by not making the trade?

Good deal for them..They really did not lose much. washburn is a FREE AGENT to be but I think they can offer him Arbitration, so I think if he says no we can get some draft picks of we lose him..
Glad to hear because I really don't know much about Washburn. All I know is really needed a couple starting pitchers to help out Verlander and Jackson.

Bill, do you think the Red Sox should have gone through with the trade, or did they make a good decision by not making the trade?

If That was the deal (Buchholz/Bard for Halladay), then the Sox were nuts to say no, IMO.

Halladay is obviously an upgrade over Buchholz, but the Sox covet Bard to be the heir apparent to Papelbon in a couple of years. That and the fact they traded Masterson in the Martinez deal may have scared them off.

I just got this email from the Reds.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]REDS PICK UP ROLEN FROM BLUE JAYS
The Cincinnati Reds made a pair of trades just before the deadline on Friday, acquiring third baseman Scott Rolen from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, pitcher Josh Roenicke and minor-league pitcher Zach Stewart, having earlier acquired catcher Chase Weems from the Yankees for infielder/outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr.

In 88 games for the Jays this year, Rolen, 34, has batted .320 with a .370 on-base percentage, eight home runs and 41 RBIs. He is a career .284 hitter with 280 home runs over 14 seasons. Weems, 20, was selected by the Yankees in the sixth round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft. He batted .260 with 10 doubles, one homer and 14 RBIs in 55 games with Single-A Charleston this season.
[/FONT]