MLB Trades and Rumors

If That was the deal (Buchholz/Bard for Halladay), then the Sox were nuts to say no, IMO.

Halladay is obviously an upgrade over Buchholz, but the Sox covet Bard to be the heir apparent to Papelbon in a couple of years. That and the fact they traded Masterson in the Martinez deal may have scared them off.

I agree. I understand them being hesistant after trading Masterson, but I still would have taken that deal.

If That was the deal (Buchholz/Bard for Halladay), then the Sox were nuts to say no, IMO.

Halladay is obviously an upgrade over Buchholz, but the Sox covet Bard to be the heir apparent to Papelbon in a couple of years. That and the fact they traded Masterson in the Martinez deal may have scared them off.

Bill,

when you get a chance, clear your Inbox. I'm trying to PM you, but it's full....

Seeing that Pittsburgh basically got rid of everyone except a couple of beer salesmen and a peanut vendor....funny how they do not talk about contraction with that city. AT LEAST the Marlins have one a couple of World Series in the last decade plus when they did their fire sale. I see fire sales by other franchise every year that have won LESS than the Marlins, but no contraction talk.:mad::rant:

...ok, I vented....back to the regularly scheduled Trade Talk.

Marlins picked up Nick Johnson, a small blip in the radar, but now the team can put steadier Cantu BACK at 3rd, remove the abortion that is Emilio Bonifacio from 3rd base and the batting order(and his .300 OBP, Johnson's OBP averages ABOVE .400!) and bring up from AAA a MUCH improved Cameron Maybin where he is hitting OVER .330 and OBP of OVER .420...

...we have improved by subtraction, the removal of everyday play of Bonifacio and the calling up of Maybin.

...I like the Marlins chances of being the Wild Card team in the NL.

Kotchman is a wonderful baseball player. He has some pop but his defense is ballet-like. I miss the HELL out of him here in Anaheim.

The Red Sox got a helluva player in this trade...and he'll go unnoticed because of Victor.

But what position does he play ?
Isn't 1B already pretty crowded ?
There was talk that Martinez was moving to 1b as well soon.

I wonder if things would have been different had the Jays been desperate to make a deal. Might the Sox have pulled the trigger if Halladay was definitely going to be traded and at the least keep them from another AL contender??

The Whitesox GM said that they wanted him for september, not for now. So they can make a run for the world series.

I think it was a great moves because his injury was NOT in he throwing arm. Smart move by the GM and lack of vision by others. Since he will be ready for September, it is basically a call-up.....but Jake Peavy.

On a side note. I picked the Giants to win the division before the season started and I still think they will win the division. My opinion has nothing to do with the Sanchez trade, it has to do with their pitching.

Even with Sanchez, their offense is still terrible. Sanchez is not the bat they needed. The needed a middle of the order power guy. Sanchez is just an average hitter with no power and will end up batting 2nd. He may help their offense go from the 2nd worst in baseball to the 3rd or 4th worst. Either way, they offense still stinks to high Heaven.

Pretty interesting insight for a Dodgers fan. I hope you're right-on in your prediction, but most Giants fans that I know will think that you're high on something. We'll be just as happy to be the wild card team. :D

Regarding Sanchez, he'll be a big improvement to a team who's offense is ranked 15th in runs scored (NL). A big bopper he's not, but he's a proven hitter, three time all star, high OBP. A lot of doubles will have the same effect for this team right now as a big fly. Pitching is good but we need hits! If you watch the Giants play almost on a daily basis, you'll know what I mean. They have the ability to put men in scoring position where a single or a double would have meant potentially winning the game, but more often than not, they come up with goose eggs. Very frustrating. So, I'm very optimistic with this trade. The only downside side is losing the best pitching prospect the Giants have in Tim Aldeson.

Casey is 1B all the way which is why this trade makes no sense to many people.
;)

in_theo_we_trust_tshirt-p235694631831095875qw9y_400.jpg

How is trading allowed after July 31st?

Up until August 31 players can still be traded, but they have to clear waivers. Any team can claim them beginning at the bottom of the standings, but I believe the waivers can be recalled if they are claimed. Then there is no trade. I think when trades are announced it means those players have cleared waivers already.

Sandra

How is trading allowed after July 31st?
Trading is alowed anytime. There are just two trade deadlines that place some restrictions. The first one, July 31, just puts the waiver limits on trades. Trades before this date do not have to go trough the waiver process. Any trade after that time can be blocked by another team and players must clear waivers.

Waiver trade rules:

• Option 1: His team can work out a trade with the team that claimed him. Any player involved in the trade who is on a 40 man roster must go through waivers first.
  • Option 2: His team can just dump him and his salary on the team that claimed him, getting no player in return.
  • Option 3: No one claims him, and his team is free to trade him to any team.
The second trade deadline, August 31. Players on the active roster on that one team before August 31 can be placed on the post season roster. Any player acquired after this deadline cannot be placed on the post season roster. September 1st is when the rosters expand.

Rios waiver report riles up Jays general manager

Aug 08, 2009 04:30 AM
Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi wouldn't comment on reports that another team is trying to claim Alex Rios off waivers, but said that "nothing" is happening with the Jays' right fielder.

ESPN.com reported yesterday that an unnamed team had placed a claim on Rios, forcing the Jays to either remove him from their waiver list, work out a trade with that team, or let him go for nothing.

Last year, Rios signed a seven-year contract worth nearly $70 million (U.S.), but his production this season hasn't lived up to his huge salary. Through 105 games, he was hitting .261 with 12 home runs and 58 RBIs.

"That's an incredible opportunity for the Blue Jays to get out from underneath that contract," an official from an unnamed team told ESPN.

TheStar.com | Sports | Rios waiver report riles up Jays general manager

IF this is true, wow, I think the Blue Jays could be making a HUGE mistake. This kid can play! I WISH it was the Marlins trying to claim him....I would LOVE him to by on MY team!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts