Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Playing around with a directv deca adapter. Installed pin header now trying to find win10 drivers for ttl cable. Wanting to see if stats are available console like.

The DCA2SR1-01 and DCAU1R0-1 are rock solid and dirt cheap ($10 a pair) for a 100Mbps over coax.

I will post what idea i got cooking up that makes this fta related.

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 174
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 197
I believe the statistics for DECA adapters come via the network.

The nice thing about Ethernet is that it doesn't require AC power at each end of the cable as DECA adapters do. The power required for DECA is relatively high (as you can tell by looking at the label -- up to 18 watts). How do you plan on powering the DCA2SR1-01?

If you're thinking about diplexing, don't forget about insertion loss.

Reactions: wallyhts
So the idea is. SD-TVRO

Software Defined FTA.

The heck with STB's. Why not use the devices power houses spend billions to development for viewing?

Why not use the devices power houses spend billions to development for viewing?
I've given two reasons already and I wasn't really trying.

I'm sure DIRECTV (nor the MoCA Alliance members combined) didn't pay billions to develop DECA. It is not much more than an extension to MoCA 1 using a low frequency band. Of course you have to make sure that your receiver's IF range is compatible with it.

Have you given thought to what is involved in blind scanning in software?

I get that a lot of FTA is about jumping through hoops, but avoiding the first hoop of being able to find and watch TV shouldn't be bypassed.

I've given two reasons already and I wasn't really trying.

I'm sure DIRECTV (nor the MoCA Alliance members combined) didn't pay billions to develop DECA.

I should have explain myself more :) Devices like iphone, Android phones, Apple TV, Roku etc... "billions to develop"

Have you given thought to what is involved in blind scanning in software?

Yes that's whats awesome. Think about having 4 SD-LNBF's you could be watching a TS stream via one of the units and have the other 3 blind-scanning using hardware based blind scan.

I get that a lot of FTA is about jumping through hoops, but avoiding the first hoop of being able to find and watch TV shouldn't be bypassed.

Nah man your not bypassing anything. In fact it would allow you to watch more stuff. It's just the TS('s) streams you choice delivered over IP.

Going to try and get the stuff in a nema box to hang off the back of dish.

Pi 3b
USB DVB-S2
Deca Adapter

Still need to figure out power?

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 114
I should have explain myself more:) Devices like iphone, Android phones, Apple TV, Roku etc... "billions to develop"
Why add the complication of devices? If all of your terminal devices connect via Wi-fi, what purpose would something like a DECA adapter serve? What do you plan on using for a server to serve up streams those devices? For their part, DIRECTV uses RVU which requires a very special server running software that must be licensed on both the server and the clients.

Are you familiar with what goes into creating software for media servers and device apps?
Yes that's whats awesome. Think about having 4 SD-LNBF's you could be watching a TS stream via one of the units and have the other 3 blind-scanning using hardware based blind scan.
Are you going to create this hardware to do blind scanning in association with your SDR tuners? If you're going to use conventional tuner chips to do your blind scanning, how will your streaming server collect the results so it knows what is available?

I think you may be getting all gooey about hardware and completely forgetting the software side of things.
In fact it would allow you to watch more stuff. It's just the TS('s) streams you choice delivered over IP.
What software is it that will do this magic on the server? What about the clients?

Do you know of any apps other than VLC that can handle TS streams or are you envisioning some sort of tuner plug-in for VLC?

Why add the complication of devices? If all of your terminal devices connect via Wi-fi, what purpose would something like a DECA adapter serve? What do you plan on using for a server to serve up streams those devices? For their part, DIRECTV uses RVU which requires a very special server running software that must be licensed on both the server and the clients.

Are you familiar with what goes into creating software for media servers and device apps?
You don't understand that's my fault for not being able to articulate it better. :)

Yes I do one of my companies does software development.

The DECA adapters don't matter its just a bridge you could use any bridge you want.

I think you may be getting all gooey about hardware and completely forgetting the software side of things.

On the API side I disagree however it would be a task to build a nice looking frontend.

What software is it that will do this magic on the server? What about the clients?

Do you know of any apps other than VLC that can handle TS streams or are you envisioning some sort of tuner plug-in for VLC?

There is no server. The clients are whatever device you want to view the TS on.

ffplay

There is no server. The clients are whatever device you want to view the TS on.
What do the terminal devices interact with if not a server? Devices like the iPhone and Roku depend on servers to make connections to things like satellite tuners. If you have to develop an API from the ground up, that's a tall order and that's not something that Apple, Google or Roku provides at this point (although Google is arguably the leader here with their AndroidTV product but it still depends on a media server).

What of the TS viewer on the client and how will it choose channels? I submit that you're expecting apps to do things that they have heretofore not done.

For ffplay's part, it is pretty much limited to RTSP streams on iOS and it doesn't exist for Roku.

What do the terminal devices interact with if not a server? Devices like the iPhone and Roku depend on servers to make connections to things like satellite tuners. If you have to develop an API from the ground up, that's a tall order and that's not something that Apple, Google or Roku provides at this point (although Google is arguably the leader here with their AndroidTV product but it still depends on a media server).

The SD-LNBF will be the "server" it will put the raw data on IP. UDP

What of the TS viewer on the client and how will it choose channels?

To start just a few simple pages to run scripts.

And thanks for all the feedback :)

Maybe just POE and be simple.

Maybe just POE and be simple.
POE tends to be rather expensive and if you're using multiple Raspberry Pis (since the Pi 3 has only two USB ports but can likely only handle one tuner -- if that), it won't handle the power you require (>=24 watts for a pair of Pis). POE is good for a little over 15 watts and POE+ is supposed to be good to 30W but you need power for the Pis and the LNA/LNB(s). DECA isn't set up to pass 5VDC between DECA adapters and injecting and removing it will lead to more insertion loss (remembering that DECA rides on a radio signal).

NEMA 4 or NEMA 6 boxes are great for keeping out the wet, but they are really poor at dissipating heat and protecting from cold (the Pi is rated to operate between freezing and 158F) and something that is burning through 15 watts in a small enclosure will get to the maximum quickly in all but the coldest weather.

So now you've added a server to each tuner (or possibly pair of tuners).

What is this IP SD-LNBF that you're talking about? That may answer many questions if you have a magic feed horn that produces an IP stream rather than a RF signal. This still doesn't answer the question about how the client device chooses channels.

What is this IP SD-LNBF that you're talking about? That may answer many questions if you have a magic feed horn that produces an IP stream rather than a RF signal. This still doesn't answer the question about how the client device chooses channels.

Bingo!!!!

Attachments

• sd-lnbf.jpg
    sd-lnbf.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 120
POE tends to be rather expensive and if you're using multiple Raspberry Pis (since the Pi 3 has only two USB ports but can likely only handle one tuner -- if that), it won't handle the power you require (>=24 watts for a pair of Pis). POE is good for a little over 15 watts and POE+ is supposed to be good to 30W but you need power for the Pis and the LNA/LNB(s). DECA isn't set up to pass 5VDC between DECA adapters and injecting and removing it will lead to more insertion loss (remembering that DECA rides on a radio signal).

NEMA 4 or NEMA 6 boxes are great for keeping out the wet, but they are really poor at dissipating heat and protecting from cold (the Pi is rated to operate between freezing and 158F) and something that is burning through 15 watts in a small enclosure will get to the maximum quickly in all but the coldest weather.

So now you've added a server to each tuner (or possibly pair of tuners).

8 channel SAT>IP LNB with PoE Adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.